• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Beckx

I haven't looked at his hitting stats in awhile, I thought he was focusing more on pitching finally.

no, no change for him at all.

last year the manager pulled him from the DH role mid year because he was slumping horribly & one of their better batters was unable to play a defensive position. that guy is healthy now and otani is hitting the cover off the ball, so it's back to DH'ing 3 days a week.

he's just a monster talent. it's an obscure/pointless stat but there are only like 3 guys who had as many doubles as Otani had his first season, and all of them made the NPB hall of fame as hitters.

no, no change for him at all.

last year the manager pulled him from the DH role mid year because he was slumping horribly & one of their better batters was unable to play a defensive position. that guy is healthy now and otani is hitting the cover off the ball, so it's back to DH'ing 3 days a week.

he's just a monster talent. it's an obscure/pointless stat but there are only like 3 guys who had as many doubles as Otani had his first season, and all of them made the NPB hall of fame as hitters.

I wonder if any MLB manager would have the balls to have him hit DH as well as pitch. Obviously needs to sign for an AL team for the time being. Going to be interesting.

To your response to my comment about posting: I agree, I don't see him posting until 2017 but I would love to see it happen this year.

I wish the Jays/Giants game started at 4 instead of 10:15. I feel like watching baseball now, but only really enjoy watching my team.

The emotion has to be there.

Beckx

I wonder if any MLB manager would have the balls to have him hit DH as well as pitch. Obviously needs to sign for an AL team for the time being. Going to be interesting.

To your response to my comment about posting: I agree, I don't see him posting until 2017 but I would love to see it happen this year.

Malo's probably right that anyone who could afford him wouldn't take the risk but it'd be damn fun to watch

I'm leaning towards this one being an honest mistake, but I'm also very trusting.

me too. I guess there's no threshold level for this drug and any trace amount = a positive result?

He almost got in a valid explanation

I'm leaning towards this one being an honest mistake, but I'm also very trusting.

Read the full article, it actually does sound fairly reasonable. Even if this is the usual athlete excuse. I mean, I guess it could be legit?

Mondesi, the club's top prospect and No. 33 overall per MLBPipeline.com, tested positive for Clenbuterol, a performance-enhancing substance. His suspension is effective immediately.

In a statement released by the MLB Players Association, Mondesi responded to the suspension: "Today, I agreed to accept a 50-game suspension from Major League Baseball. It is by far one of the hardest moments I have had to face in my life, but it is a decision that I accept and one that I take full responsibility for as a professional.

"I took an over-the-counter medication [Subrox-C], which I bought in the Dominican Republic to treat cold and flu symptoms. I failed to read the labeling on the medication or consult with my trainer or team about taking it and did not know it contained a banned substance. I tested positive for that banned substance, with a minuscule amount of Clenbuterol in my system, which could not have possibly enhanced my performance on the field, and now must face the consequences of that mistake.

"I apologize to my organization, my teammates, the fans and everyone who has supported me in my career. Never did I intend to take a substance that would give me an unfair advantage on the field. It is solely my mistake and there are no excuses for my carelessness in not being fully informed of what I put in my body. My goal is to work through this setback and make it back in time to help my organization compete for another World Series title."

MLB and the MLBPA reached an agreement to drop the suspension from 80 to 50 games after Mondesi showed the banned substance in a cold medicine, according to the New York Post's Joel Sherman.
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/177333380/royals-raul-mondesi-suspended-for-peds

Beckx

@DTonPirates
#Pirates offer Cole $70M/5yrs, buying out 2 yrs of free agency. Who says no?

Interesting choice for Cole. 3 more years at the league minimum before a massive payday, or get nice money right now and postpone FA a bit.

edit: i'm an idiot, zulux is right. i have a mental block on arbitration and zero grasp of the financial stuff.

zulux21

Interesting choice for Cole. 3 more years at the league minimum before a massive payday, or get nice money right now and postpone FA a bit.

doesn't he hit arbitration next season so thus will get a decent pay bump there?

that being said even if you assume something like
4/10/16 for the next 3 years that leaves 2 years 45 mil for the last 2 which would be likely 20/25 which if he stays as good as he is would be less than he could get, but if he gets hurt would be way more than he could get.

really feels like a fair offer for both sides, I imagine Scott Boras wants more money out of the pirates, and is banking on cole's arm not breaking.

jbug617

Banned
CiIQtn3UgAA6wd8.jpg

Both should be in Boston still

zulux21

the twins face the braves 4 times this year, the way things are going those could be very important games to determine who gets first draft pick next year :p

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
the twins face the braves 4 times this year, the way things are going those could be very important games to determine who gets first draft pick next year :p

The Twins honestly have no business being as bad as the Braves. I'm not worried.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Beckx

lol

the Laird/Beer thing is on CBSsports now

extra lol b/c they didn't read the article/watch the game and got the location wrong

meanwhile rain killed baseball

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Chris Ellis needs a promotion to AAA.

Which is good because Max Povse needs a promotion to AA.

Which is good because Pat Weigel needs a promotion to A+.

Which is good because Kolby Allard needs to debut in A.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Chris Ellis needs a promotion to AAA.

Which is good because Max Povse needs a promotion to AA.

Which is good because Pat Weigel needs a promotion to A+.

Which is good because Kolby Allard needs to debut in A.
and when they are ready for Atlanta.

7p8ZrMN.jpg

logjam. good problem to have.
There's a woman in the stands at the Braves/Phillies game who's wearing a Seattle Mariners tank top.

why.jpg
your team is your team. i wear my braves hat to every mlb game i go to.

zulux21

this is going to be a long white sox rangers game isn't it.

neither pitcher looks great (though rodon looks worse than tex's starter)

and then rain is coming in.

I mean even if he's being honest, with the money your worth and projected to be worth, why would you buy ANYTHING in the DR?

and what exactly does this mean?
FYI, it might be the cool to just assume that all Dominicans are steroid junkies or something but I hope there's a bit more critical thinking when making blanket statements like this.

and what exactly does this mean?
FYI, it might be the cool to just assume that all Dominicans are steroid junkies or something but I hope there's a bit more critical thinking when making blanket statements like this.

If you're buying cough medicine, it's a safer bet to buy that shit in the US than to buy it in the DR where you're gambling on what's in it.

Top Bottom