• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Brinbe

Heading down to the dome tonight. Hoping we

GjImZLE.png

those Yankees off.

Seems kind of pointless to have claimed Paredes, then traded him so quickly. He didn't have horrible numbers and the team could use him off the bench at times. Or maybe there's something with his contract I'm missing.

Buxton is just horrible at the plate. He needs to be back in the minors, no need for him here. Only hope is for him to be a Juan Pierre type player. Sad!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
How many pitchers in today's age will end up pitching more than 20 years in the bigs? Seems virtually impossible nowadays

Colon will likely do it
is latroy hawkins still around? as for younger guys. I guess Felix is one since he was 19 when he came up. I would say Jose Fernandez but he will probably get hurt at some point. Julio Teheran came up at a young age as well. With the way pitching is going though, starters are throwing less and less innings and harder. So maybe more pitchers will stick around in their 40s since it will be acceptable to have shorter outings. Then again everyone will be throwing 100 mph in 15 years and they may not want those guys in the rotation. /shrug

I think Derek Lowe never went on the DL once.
ah yeah you may be right.

Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler goes off after the 16-4 bashing by the Mariners, specifically targets James Shields (who is making $21 million this year)

"To have a starter like Shields perform as poorly as he did yesterday is an embarrassment to the team, an embarrassment to him," Fowler said.

"It's on the player, but the organization has to accept responsibility for probably having the wrong players," Fowler said. "We don't have a team out there right now that is competing effectively. We're doing everything we can going into the draft and looking at international signings to get some guys who can get us there."

Well, Pads, maybe conduct your due diligence next time and make smart decisions rather than decisions to make a marketing splash to pump up ticket sales.

So NOW you're going to go with the player development model? The same model you gutted to sign high priced free agents and trade for high $ guys that are all dogshit?

This is your bed. Sleep, wallow, and cry in it. Fucking Padres.

Mortemis

Banned

If Fowler's so involved in the team, and they're performing like dogshit, he should take a step back a little and look in the mirror to find a cause. Instead of calling out your players and putting them in the ground like that.

I like how he mentions he put the team together but brushes it off quickly.

DireStr8s

Some breathing room for the Nationals if Scherzer & the bats don't blow it tonight. Upcoming series @ Cinncinati, too. Though last year they went 1 for 6 against the Reds. As the only Nats fan in Cincinnati, that was deeply embarrassing. Oh well, used to it by now. I'll be there on Sunday regardless.

cashman

Banned
Well, Pads, maybe conduct your due diligence next time and make smart decisions rather than decisions to make a marketing splash to pump up ticket sales.

So NOW you're going to go with the player development model? The same model you gutted to sign high priced free agents and trade for high $ guys that are all dogshit?

This is your bed. Sleep, wallow, and cry in it. Fucking Padres.

They'll be shitty for a few years but I have confidence Preller can rebuild the farm his way with his own scouts

Based on the way Fowler excuses Preller in that scathing mess, it's obvious he's part of the driving force behind that mess of trades.

Everyone with the slightest bit of knowledge on baseball knew a J.Upton/Kemp/Myers outfield was going to be one of the worst defensive outfields ever.

The fact that the Doyers and Giants are the perpetual division champs for the foreseeable future means that the Rockies, Padres and D-Backs simply can't survive, and they have to do these flashing cash moments to stay relevant. Especially in the the Padres case, how many people go to Petco for the Padres themselves? It's one of those parks that get inundated with rival fans when a big team is in town, and I don't blame them.

wbsmcs

The fact that the Doyers and Giants are the perpetual division champs for the foreseeable future means that the Rockies, Padres and D-Backs simply can't survive, and they have to do these flashing cash moments to stay relevant. Especially in the the Padres case, how many people go to Petco for the Padres themselves? It's one of those parks that get inundated with rival fans when a big team is in town, and I don't blame them.

Diamondbacks were showing some promise. Their offense looked legit going into the year, but Pollock all but killed that.

They did make the kind of moves you're talking about though trading for Miller and signing Greinke for a huge amount.

With a healthy team I think they would have had a real shot of contending this year.

The payroll went from $55m in 2012 to $125m in 2015. Attendance went from 2.1m to 2.5m.

A 127% increase in payroll for a 19% increase in attendance. Even adding the bump in the local tv contract doesn't make this club management make any sense. Padre attendance doesn't really fluctuate all that much. They hit 2.7m in a good record year, 2.1m in a bad record year.

So everything you're saying doesn't make any sense. This is shitty roster and payroll management. That's it. It's a failure for no good business or baseball reason other than a new owner wanting to waive his big payroll around like he's a big time operator and then blaming everyone else when it blows up in his face.

Diamondbacks were showing some promise. Their offense looked legit going into the year, but Pollock all but killed that.

They did make the kind of moves you're talking about though trading for Miller and signing Greinke for a huge amount.

With a healthy team I think they would have had a real shot of contending this year.

Oh they definitely could have, and I still think the D-Backs window is still open. Maybe for an extra year or two, but something could still be made.

So everything you're saying doesn't make any sense. This is shitty roster and payroll management. That's it. It's a failure for no good business or baseball reason other than a new owner wanting to waive his big payroll around like he's a big time operator and then blaming everyone else when it blows up in his face.

I guess you are correct. Then again, I'm not knowledgeable on the overall money situation of the Padres, so that's what those moves looked like to me, alongside the D-Backs. Still, I don't mind having my viewpoint challenged.

Top Bottom