• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Manny 'instigating' things is a poor choice of words on my part which I have apologized for already. But considering he escalated the situation (rightfully, I might add) he is going to get the bulk of time off.

Now Queso, I like you, but for god's sake, leave the possible axe you have to grind for the Jays and the elements of the fanbase at the door. I am a nice guy, and any mistakes or hostile behavior I have been quick to apologize for.

zulux21

what happened to your sox zulu

was surprised to see them at 500

it can actually all be traced back to the texas rangers. (nope not KC, that didn't help though :p)
this game on may 10th.
Zgv4ykp.png

the white sox pitching was amazing until that point, but that fail there caused an extreme lack of confidence or something as the pitching has been really bad at holding games since then.

doesn't help that latos clearly used up all his luck in his first few starts (ideally with rodon getting skipped and miguel getting another start he will have another solid outing and this time they decide latos should be ditched instead of him) as well as albers who just doesn't have good stuff anymore and needs to be DFA to straighten his head out and placed on a diet.

I mean despite everything the white sox for the most part have still had close games, they just can't seem to hold onto leads or score the last few needed runs anymore. I mean they have played 21 1 run games and are 10-11 in them, and I don't know the numbers on two run games, but they for sure have over 10 of them if not more (to lazy to check)

we will have to see how things go though. Maybe shields brings some energy and they start winning. horrible stretch or not the simple fact is they are only 3.5 games back in june, not an impossible amount to come back from.

seems quite hopeless, but stranger things have happened in baseball.

zulux21

pulled from the white sox wrap

Latos struggles again: The Latos who allowed two runs on 14 hits over his first 24 1/3 innings this season seems to have disappeared. Factoring in Tuesday's effort, Latos has given up 29 earned runs on 50 hits over the last 36 innings. He has 19 strikeouts and 18 walks in that stretch.

for those who like numbers
that is a 7.25ERA
and a 1.89 WHIP

for reference john danks had slightly better numbers when he was booted from the team with a lot more money left on the contract.

yes latos had some brilliance at the start, but it is clearly gone, ship him off already, just like you can ship off rollins

screw it and bring up tim anderson to play short. salidino can platoon with lawrie at second while anderson gets experience in the majors and perhaps brings the team back to life like puig did for the dodgers a few years ago.

Was there some history between Machado and Ventura before this? Or is Ventura just that stupid?

Now Queso, I like you, but for god's sake, leave the possible axe you have to grind for the Jays and the elements of the fanbase at the door. I am a nice guy, and any mistakes or hostile behavior I have been quick to apologize for.

You crossed the cheese, and the cheese never forgets.

Was there some history between Machado and Ventura before this? Or is Ventura just that stupid?

You crossed the cheese, and the cheese never forgets.

I'm just stressed out from outside events from the past month and a half...and it doesn't help when I notice that the one place where I can sit back and enjoy myself for a bit has started to lose it's friendly ribbing nature and has somewhat turned down into a road of nastiness.

I apologize once more for snapping.

What does hockey have to do with this?

You called it "instigating"... like when hockey players get an instigating penalty for throwing the first punch. Was just making a joke dude.

Now Queso, I like you

I like you too. That's why I was just messing around.

I am a nice guy, and any mistakes or hostile behavior I have been quick to apologize for.

What the heck have you had to apologize for? Mistakes or hostile behavior? What are you talking about? You're awesome. It was just friendly ribbing. Sorry it didn't come across that way.

I'm just stressed out from outside events from the past month and a half...and it doesn't help when I notice that the one place where I can sit back and enjoy myself for a bit has started to lose it's friendly ribbing nature and has somewhat turned down into a road of nastiness.

Sorry life's been tough. Seriously, no nastiness here. Sorry for coming across that way.

BFIB

I apologize once more for snapping.
No need to apologize, we're all friends here. Hope things get better!

crpav

it can actually all be traced back to the texas rangers. (nope not KC, that didn't help though :p)
this game on may 10th.

the white sox pitching was amazing until that point, but that fail there caused an extreme lack of confidence or something as the pitching has been really bad at holding games since then.

doesn't help that latos clearly used up all his luck in his first few starts (ideally with rodon getting skipped and miguel getting another start he will have another solid outing and this time they decide latos should be ditched instead of him) as well as albers who just doesn't have good stuff anymore and needs to be DFA to straighten his head out and placed on a diet.

I mean despite everything the white sox for the most part have still had close games, they just can't seem to hold onto leads or score the last few needed runs anymore. I mean they have played 21 1 run games and are 10-11 in them, and I don't know the numbers on two run games, but they for sure have over 10 of them if not more (to lazy to check)

we will have to see how things go though. Maybe shields brings some energy and they start winning. horrible stretch or not the simple fact is they are only 3.5 games back in june, not an impossible amount to come back from.

seems quite hopeless, but stranger things have happened in baseball.

Well good news is only 3.5 out and we aren't as bad as the Twins or Atlanta :)...yet. Bad news is the confidence is gone, offense can't figure it out and the bullpen is a disgrace. Teams that win these games have relievers who come in throwing darts, gas or nasty stuff and get outs. I just don't know man and have little optimism.

Montresor

Jays and Orioles are the good guys. Odor was still whiny about the bat flip - Bautista took his punch like man. Ventura is a scumbag player hitting Manny with a 100mph fastball. Manny got his justice/revenge and Ventura got absolutely bodied.

This is how I will choose to interpret these events.

Parch

Previous history is a consideration for suspensions in hockey. You get a rep, penalties get harsher.

Baseball doesn't hand out suspensions like hockey but a player's history should be a factor. Ventura has the rep and he shouldn't be judged for this incident alone. Dude has a problem.

Previous history is a consideration for suspensions in hockey. You get a rep, penalties get harsher.

Baseball doesn't hand out suspensions like hockey but a player's history should be a factor. Ventura has the rep and he shouldn't be judged for this incident alone. Dude has a problem.

Which is what I was trying to get at last night, and my ability to get points across effectively (Ha!) was getting in the way: if the MLB doesn't at least give Yordano a one game suspension, then the Royals management group, or Ned Yost, needs to step in and put the dude in line. It's not like you can simply brush it under the carpet when he starts playing good: Yordano has been flaming garbage for a long time now, since that dazzling debut in the 2014 pennant chase. He's even been sent down once. There needs to be a much harder line drawn in the sand.

And speak of the devil, according to Jeff Passan, the Royals have considered putting Yordano on the trade block.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-reason-why-the-royals-have-considered-trading-yordano-ventura-071920349-mlb.html

Recently, inside the Kansas City Royals’ clubhouse, Yordano Ventura was talking about how he planned on hitting Jose Bautista with a pitch the next time he faced him. The people around Ventura rolled their eyes, tired of the bluster, done with the immaturity, hopeful he was playing fugazi instead of the on-field arsonist they’d seen too many times for their liking. Among his teammates and in the Royals’ front office alike, they’ve long waited for Ventura to grow up, only to end up amazed at how he manages to plumb beneath even his own low standards.

After tonight, though, his ERA is 5.32, his strikeout rate 92nd of 107 qualified starters, his walk rate 105th of 107. And this with a guaranteed three years and $21.25 million left on his contract.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/182705316/cavaliers-down-2-0-must-win-game-3

Simply put, if these Cavs remain intact, their future postseasons will bring scarier demons and then scarier ones than that.

I'm hearing Javy Lopez's voice. He was the catcher for the Atlanta Braves during most of their march to a Major League record 14 consecutive division titles through 2005. I followed them closely as an Atlanta newspaper columnist, which means I saw Lopez and gang collapse often in the postseason despite the presence of Hall of Famers Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz on the mound and Bobby Cox in the dugout. They also featured Cooperstown-bound Chipper Jones and perennial All-Stars such as Terry Pendleton, David Justice, Fred McGriff and Lopez.

One world championship.

Those Braves barely won that one. After they failed during the three previous Octobers against beatable foes, they got lucky by playing the Indians in the 1995 World Series. That Tribe bunch was loaded, but in case you haven't been paying attention these days, Cleveland's three major professional sports teams are allergic to world championships. They haven't managed one since the Browns were kings of the NFL in 1964.

So that Braves' title was a fluke when you consider the Cleveland thing
and how Atlanta responded the next season as world champions with one of the biggest collapses in World Series history. They lost in six games to the Yankees after they grabbed the opening two at Yankee Stadium. Then the Braves whined in 1997 about Eric Gregg's strike zone along the way to blowing the NLCS to the Florida (now Miami) Marlins. They were knocked out of the playoffs after that in consecutive years by the San Diego Padres, the Yankees again and the St. Louis Cardinals. That's when Lopez told me the truth about those Braves.

Listen closely, and you'll hear these Cavaliers.

"I just think something is definitely missing with this group of players," Lopez said back then in 2000. "We spend too much time around here worrying about what the other team is doing and about umpires and about claiming everybody in the world is against us. If we continue to think that way every time we reach the playoffs, we're going to keep drowning on a half-full glass of water."

Then Lopez said those Braves kept thinking in the back of their minds about how they lost in the playoffs before that one, and the one before that one, and the slew of ones before that one...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 3m3 minutes ago
Hearing Kelly Johnson for Akeel Morris is done deal.

https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/status/740573474696003585

Braves trade Kelly Johnson to the Mets for the second year in a row!
lol nice. Akeel looks to have a good arm too. His pre-2016 are not bad.
Akeel Morris | Rank: 16 said:
Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 40 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45
One other pitcher from the U.S. Virgin Islands made it to the big leagues before Morris made his Major League debut in June 2015. Like fellow St. Thomian Al McBean, who spent most of the 1960s pitching out of a bullpen, Morris has the chance to have an impact as a reliever at the highest level.

Morris' success in the Minors has come largely from his fastball-changeup combination. He'll pitch at 92-93 mph with his fastball, sometimes reaching back for 95-96 mph, and it has some good life to it. Morris will then throw what's best been described as a Bugs Bunny changeup, an offspeed pitch thrown at around 76 mph, with the same arm speed, causing a ton of swings and misses. Those two pitches alone, thrown with deception thanks to a funky delivery, are the reason he held Minor League hitters to a .163 batting average against through his first three summers of pro ball. Morris throws a slider, but it's fringy and needs work.

How much Morris' breaking ball, along with his command, improves will ultimately determine his role. He has the ceiling of a setup man, with a seventh-inning role perhaps more realistic.
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=nym

And speak of the devil, according to Jeff Passan, the Royals have considered putting Yordano on the trade block.

Only guy I can see wanting to do that deal is Arte Moreno.

Yordano is a bad human being that puts his team's hitters at risk. For every Machado beaned, a Hosmer or a Cain will get drilled.

If I'm playing behind Yordano during one of his temper tantrums, I think I'd much rather have that day as an off day rather than take one in the ear as payback for Yordano's stupidity.

Only guy I can see wanting to do that deal is Arte Moreno.

Yordano is a bad human being that puts his team's hitters at risk. For every Machado beaned, a Hosmer or a Cain will get drilled.

If I'm playing behind Yordano during one of his temper tantrums, I think I'd much rather have that day as an off day rather than take one in the ear as payback for Yordano's stupidity.

Even with his transgressions, from a binary level; Yordano is an attractive reclamation project. He's got the stuff, whether it translate to true ace status or whether he is a starter come reliever is to be determined. And he is under team control for the rest of the contract he's signed.

Whether or not his new team would be willing to lay down the law to keep him in line is the key. Different circumstances, but this reminds me of the Jonathan Drouin situation; where the lure of a young player with a high skill ceiling is enough to work through the problems (Unhappiness for Drouin, anger and aggression for Ventura)

Top Bottom