• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Cards down 6-1. Come back to tie only to lose via walk off.

Fuck this season.
Mediocre team is mediocre. Seems like my intuition they this season will be a bridge/reloading season is on point. Problem is, neither the Cubs nor the Pirates are going to stop being strong contenders anytime soon. Really need a great draft and a good offseason coming up.

Chuck

Still without luck
3486855340.png

filtering out fangraphs now

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jason Groome has switched his college commitment to a junior college. can come back into the draft after 1 year if he wants to. (was committed to Vanderbilt). Going to be much harder to sign. He is going to drop in the draft.

Parch

Adam Duvall has to be a big surprise this year. It's not like he's a kid having a breakthrough. He's 27 and pounding major league pitching all of a sudden.

Velcro Fly

Cubs starting pitching has been unreal. I worried about Lackey at the start but he's been phenomenal lately. Amazing how this front office has seemingly hit on every FA signing the past couple years
as long as you don't care about Heyward not hitting much yet

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Adam Duvall has to be a big surprise this year. It's not like he's a kid having a breakthrough. He's 27 and pounding major league pitching all of a sudden.

Ahhh ex giants players doing well finally when we could actually use him this year...

Ventura is an absolute idiot.

Royals fans don't claim that punk.

The deal is, plenty of big game pitchers have a ton of attitude. Everyone in the Bay area loves Bumgarner, and that dude is jawing at other players all the fucking time. The difference is that unlike Ventura, he actually backs his shit up on the mound. He pitches incredibly well, so fans, teammates, and managers will always have his back. He isn't a "hot head," he's a "gritty pro." The narrative goes hand in hand with job performance.

Ventura has the attitude and is jawing off at dudes, but he is pitching like shit. When you aren't doing the thing a team is paying you to do, all the extracurricular stuff stands out that much more. He needs to drop the attitude and work on his mechanics.

If the Royals themselves seem to be fed up with Ventura in the clubhouse... why go to his aid when he gets jumped by Machado?

Would that not finally send him the right message? Imagine if Hosmer/Perez/Gordon or someone got hurt in that brawl defending that idiot.

[KoRp]Jazzman;206109911 said:
If the Royals themselves seem to be fed up with Ventura in the clubhouse... why go to his aid when he gets jumped by Machado?

Would that not finally send him the right message? Imagine if Hosmer/Perez/Gordon or someone got hurt in that brawl defending that idiot.

Ultimately, even when your teammate is an asshole on the field, you have an obligation to defend your guy. Even though he started it and it's a product of baseball's macho man culture.

I only hope Bautista doesn't retaliate if Ventura does plan to throw at him in July. I want to see him get hit, and do a massive bat flip and walk to first.

Yay pickles!

The deal is, plenty of big game pitchers have a ton of attitude. Everyone in the Bay area loves Bumgarner, and that dude is jawing at other players all the fucking time. The difference is that unlike Ventura, he actually backs his shit up on the mound. He pitches incredibly well, so fans, teammates, and managers will always have his back. He isn't a "hot head," he's a "gritty pro." The narrative goes hand in hand with job performance.

Ventura has the attitude and is jawing off at dudes, but he is pitching like shit. When you aren't doing the thing a team is paying you to do, all the extracurricular stuff stands out that much more. He needs to drop the attitude and work on his mechanics.

I mean, Madbum also doesn't throw 96 at guys chests and heads on purpose, either.

[KoRp]Jazzman;206113439 said:
I only hope Bautista doesn't retaliate if Ventura does plan to throw at him in July. I want to see him get hit, and do a massive bat flip and walk to first.

He won't. I would not be surprised if Gibby or even Shapiro has come out and said to Jose: "Keep your head down, don't be the matador with the red cape." in regards to Ventura's comments.

I mean, Madbum also doesn't throw 96 at guys chests and heads on purpose, either.

for you see, MadBum gets his anger out by hitting dingers

Parch

Ultimately, even when your teammate is an asshole on the field, you have an obligation to defend your guy.
Perhaps publicly, but it's usually teammates and coaches that end up changing behavior. He'll never listen to the opposition or media, but when the team leaders tell him to get his shit together, he better listen or he's risking his future with the team.

Back to the hockey comparison, teammates and training staff have criticized or ignored players who dive or fake injuries. They're not defending that shit, even if the penalty would benefit the team.

Akeel Morris is not the RP prospect he was a year ago.

FB hits mid 90's, CH in the 70's, but he has no control at all.

Barely a prospect anymore at this stage.

Perhaps publicly, but it's usually teammates and coaches that end up changing behavior. He'll never listen to the opposition or media, but when the team leaders tell him to get his shit together, he better listen or he's risking his future with the team.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Still, ultimately when your guy is getting pummeled by an opponent with his fists, you kinda have to step in, defend and break it up.

Though it's pretty telling that Salvador Perez's first reaction was to simply let the event happen and didn't rush to Yordano's aid.

Akeel Morris is not the RP prospect he was a year ago.

FB hits mid 90's, CH in the 70's, but he has no control at all.

Barely a prospect anymore at this stage.

Braves get to dump $750k or so in salary and no one in Atlanta cares about Johnson, so ticket sales won't move at all either way. Just don't know why the Mets would want to do this for any reason.

Braves get to dump $750k or so in salary and no one in Atlanta cares about Johnson, so ticket sales won't move at all either way. Just don't know why the Mets would want to do this for any reason.

We're playing Ty Kelly almost every day if we don't do this.

We had no depth left we needed a move for a body that can at least be not complete shit at PH/occasional 3B.

Malo

Banned
Jason Groome has switched his college commitment to a junior college. can come back into the draft after 1 year if he wants to. (was committed to Vanderbilt). Going to be much harder to sign. He is going to drop in the draft.
I'd be ecstatic if he fell to us.

Bicep soreness/tightness is usually code speak for a torn UCL.

Everything is pointing the opposite though. Vince doesn't seemed worried at all neither does the Philly training staff apparently. So I am gonna trust them that they aren't pulling the wool over our eyes.

I used to get a sore bicep when I pitched, obviously not at this level, but I would have a day similar to what VInce had but since I wasn't getting paid millions I stupidly pitched through it...

Ultimately, even when your teammate is an asshole on the field, you have an obligation to defend your guy. Even though he started it and it's a product of baseball's macho man culture.

Exactly this. Every clubhouse comes to life when this stuff happens. It's silly. But as you said later, Sal just sort of left the first punch or two go. He's slow and recovering from a leg injury, but it felt like he took his sweet time getting to the mound. Sal is friends with everyone, so I don't think he particularly relishes the idea of getting into a scrap.

That's fair. I wasn't defending or excusing what Ventura did with the pitch at all. I'm saying he could get away with jawing at dudes or trying to one up guys if he was actually pitching well. Bumgarner talks mad shit at dudes, then heads to the mound and strikes out their side. Ventura talks mad shit and then gives up 5 runs in an inning.

It's pretty obvious which guy is going to have the full backing of the team and fans.

cashman

Banned

Don't know why he has to switch the commitment, since you can sign for both

Top Bottom