• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Parch

Is ESPN televising the draft?

Blue Jays need to restock the pitching. After trading all the farm arms last year I'm guessing they've got ball boys and ushers pitching in the low minors this year.

BFIB

Blue Jays need to restock the pitching. After trading all the farm arms last year I'm guessing they've got ball boys and ushers pitching in the low minors this year.

ESPN will likely cover the Red Sox picks, then let MLB Network cover the rest of us plebs.

zulux21

just noticed after the white sox get swept tonight tomorrow is lining up for a big losing streak break as KC is at 7 in a row the white sox will be at 6 in a row, one will have to break

it will be KC's

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

mlb network and mlb.com

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/182914428/catch-the-draft-tonight-at-6-et-on-mlb-network-mlbcom
How do I watch?

Tonight: Coverage begins with the Draft preview show on MLB Network and MLB.com at 6 p.m. ET. Live Draft coverage from MLB Network's Studio 42 begins at 7 p.m., with the top 77 picks broadcast on MLB Network and streamed on MLB.com.

Friday: MLB.com's exclusive coverage of Day 2 begins with a live Draft show at 12:30 p.m. and takes you through Rounds 3-10 with live analysis from Jim Callis, Jonathan Mayo and former Major League general manager Jim Duquette.

Saturday: Exclusive coverage of Day 3 begins at noon on MLB.com and takes you through the end of the Draft.

1B: Matt Adams
2B: Matt Carpenter
3B: Jhonny Peralta
SS: Aledmys Diaz
LF: Matt Holiday
CF: Randal Grichuk
RF: Stephen Piscotty
C: Yadier Molina
P: Adam Wainwright

giphy.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
White Sox signed Morneau. Look, he's probably washed up but seeing him in a White Sox uniform is more than I can handle. Vomit.

zulux21

White Sox signed Morneau. Look, he's probably washed up but seeing him in a White Sox uniform is more than I can handle. Vomit.

they also did
The White Sox have designated right-hander Mat Latos for assignment, according to Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago (Twitter link). Hayes tweets that Latos’ roster spot will go to 2013 second-round pick Tyler Danish — a 21-year-old right-hander with a 4.42 ERA, 5.6 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9 in 75 1/3 innings (12 starts) for Double-A Birmingham this season.

clubhouse cancer now gone, time to resurge.

I imagine danish is going to take over long relief and the rotation will be sale, quintana, rodon, gonzo, shields.

Morneau likely won't amount to much then a low risk signing that doesn't pan out, but it doesn't hurt to at least kick the tires there.

crpav

they also did

clubhouse cancer now gone, time to resurge.

I imagine danish is going to take over long relief and the rotation will be sale, quintana, rodon, gonzo, shields.

Morneau likely won't amount to much then a low risk signing that doesn't pan out, but it doesn't hurt to at least kick the tires there.

Pretty desperate when they have to sign him.

Bring up Tim Anderson already and might as well just throw Davidson in there as well. If they are not going to really go all in just do something. Whatever happened to Courtney Hawkins? He just end up sucking that bad?

zulux21

Pretty desperate when they have to sign him.

Bring up Tim Anderson already and might as well just throw Davidson in there as well. If they are not going to really go all in just do something. Whatever happened to Courtney Hawkins? He just end up sucking that bad?

the signing really isn't in desperation.. it's a cheap pretty much no risk signing that could potentially lead to having a good extra bench bat in sept. really nothing more. there is no reason to have any negative feelings towards it or assume that it has anything to do with their current situation. It's one of those throw a bit of money at a former player and see if they can get it going in the minors and help down the line. If not it really doesn't matter the money in the deal is pretty much trivial.

ideally anderson will come up soon. he has been hitting well in the minors and could spark things.

I mean you can't really get any worse than they have been in the last month lol.

not much reason to bring up davidson though, he is basically just a younger and inferior version of frasier, and not really a good enough hitter to bother bringing up just for the bat. He is 26, so you might as well let him sit down in the minors until Fraser is either moved or his contract runs out. I mean average aside Fraser has shown good defense and is among baseball leaders in home runs. If the sox continue to free fall he would potentially be a big trade chip on the trade market.

as for Courtney Hawkins, he seems like while he was drafted as a potential 5 tool player, and early on had a nice balance of power and speed. he has decided to always swing for the fence causing his average to drop to pathetic levels and his strike up total to go sky high and while he was at it he decided to stop stealing bases.

really he seems like a prime candidate to trade to the astros at this point because they seem to love those types of players :p but he doesn't have much value for the white sox or really any other team at this time.

he is still only 22 though so he has some time to potentially figure it out.

Windu

BA latest and probably last mock
Updated: 4:01 p.m. with six pick tweaks.

Here’s an updated mock in a year where everything is still very fluid, just three hours before commissioner Rob Manfred announces the first pick. Mickey Moniak jumped to the top of our mock on May 27 and he remains there on draft day.

1. PHILLIES: Mickey Moniak, of

2. REDS: Nick Senzel, 3b. Don’t sell Senzel short; he’s a plus runner and basestealer who can really hit, with plenty of track record. He’s no Joe Randa, in other words.

3. BRAVES: Kyle Lewis, of. The Braves are debating Lewis and Corey Ray as the college outfielders in play at No. 3, with Ian Anderson set up for their second pick. Give the Georgia outfielder the edge but don’t rule out Blake Rutherford.

4. ROCKIES: Riley Pint, rhp. The Rockies have a big bonus pool and need to grow their own pitching staff.

5. BREWERS: Corey Ray, of. Milwaukee also is Moniak’s floor.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-5-2-moniak-remains-top/#8ucBypSIeWoCXeox.99

edit: Keith Law's mock has Lewis to the braves. MLB.com, consensus is Ray. Other rumor is taking Ian Anderson underslot and then spending big at the later picks. (which i don't think the players will drop that low).

zulux21

BA latest and probably last mock

edit: Keith Law's mock has Lewis to the braves. MLB.com, consensus is Ray.

if Zack Collins is still there at 10 I could easily see the white sox taking him.
in most places they at least have one or two people of interest but they don't have a single catcher of interest. their only one in the top 30 prospects for the team is an 18 year old
who really doesn't sound all that promising and is years away from being relevant.

Zack Collins I don't know a ton about, but he is at least a college player, and it sounds like he has a good bat for a catcher thus could be 2-3 years away instead of 4+ like the other catcher already in the system.

I have seen a lot of different prospects we could be taking at 1 overall. At this point I will just say cool to whoever we pick and hope he pans out

zulux21

I have seen a lot of different prospects we could be taking at 1 overall. At this point I will just say cool to whoever we pick and hope he pans out

sounds like a good plan, I mean first round is always hard.

by WAR in MLB the best 1st round draft picks (aka easily subject to change and favors college players but the players who have had the biggest impact.)

pick 7 Aaron Nola 3.6 WAR
pick 10 Michael Conforto 2.8 WAR
pick 3 Carlos Rodon 1.9 WAR

pick 2 Kris Bryant 8.2 WAR
pick 23 Chi Chi Gonzalez .9 WAR
pick 3 Jon Gray .7 WAR

pick 1 Carlos Correa 5.5 WAR
pick 19 Michael Wacha 5.1 WAR
pick 11 Addison Russell 4.4 WAR

in 2013 and 2014 neither first pick has made it to the majors.
Mark Appel from 2013 has been far from impressive numbers wise in the minors
Brady Aiken from 2014 wasn't signed and then was taken last year 17th overall and is still recovering from a shoulder injury.

Manny got 4 games for charging mound. Yorando got 9 games and a fine.

which seems fair even if the numbers don't seem like it.
Yornando will appeal until after his next start and then drop it and then will really just serve a 1 game suspension thus really game wise has a quarter of the suspension as Manny since he is a starting pitcher and to even give them a 1 game suspension you need to give them 7+ days. (6 can do it if there is no off day, but if there is an off day it won't do much besides shift the rotation slightly) he will just pay some extra money compared to Manny.

Mortemis

Banned
Eh, drafting a "professional reliever" with the 11th pick... :

Lotta mocks also have us taking Dunn, not sure how I feel about that either

Man, it's hard to care about the draft as an M's fan. When's the last time our first round pick turned out to be somebody?

I'll probably read a little about our pick and then forget about them until I read another story about how much they're struggling in the minors. Like Alex Jackson right now.

Windu

Hyyyyyypppppeeeeed
sounds like Ian Anderson at 3. they must have a pretty big guarrentee that someone might fall.
Scouting Report:

Anderson's prospect balloon started to inflate in the summer prior to his junior year, when he showed off his lanky, projectable frame at the Metropolitan Baseball Classic. Then, during his junior year, Anderson pitched against 2015 first-round pick Garrett Whitley. Anderson went on to become a regular on the showcase circuit. The wiry Vanderbilt signee showed a promising fastball in the summer, regularly sitting 89-93 and bumping 94. In the spring, Anderson's velocity peaked even higher early in the season, reaching as high as 96 mph. The righthander complements his fastball with a late-breaking curveball in the upper 70s, which grades out as an above-average pitch, and a devastating mid-80s changeup, which garners plus grades from scouts. Anderson throws all three pitches from an identical release point, making his pitches difficult for hitters to identify. Anderson added a little bit of weight to his 6-foot-4, 180-pound frame over the winter, but scouts are dreaming on him continuing to get stronger, wondering just how high his ceiling could be if he can add more strength. Anderson has battled pneumonia and an upper body injury this spring, but he's shown enough at this point to put himself firmly in the first round, and he could go as high as the top five if he proves himself to be healthy over the final weeks of the season.

Top Bottom