• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Still amazes me how many players refuse to try and hit or bunt away from the shift. Lack of confidence or just incapable of doing it? If they consider themselves professional hitters, they can at least try.

I think it might be seen as cheap. I hope not as that would really be stupid. Take the free hits.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN

Mets going heavy on the Long Island arms, Take UConn LHP Anthony Kay. Same high school as Steven Matz.

Syrinx

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN

Mets going heavy on the Long Island arms, Take UConn LHP Anthony Kay. Same high school as Steven Matz.

Honestly no problem with the Mets drafting pitchers. Get a constant stream of young arms continuously coming through. Plus our top pitching prospect right now is recovering from TJ.

E: don't know anything really about Kay though so *shrug*

BigAT

4-game sweep! .500!

Kqj62os.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Joey Wentz? I like it.
Scouting Report:

Scouts have been waiting for the day Wentz was draft eligible since he began impressing as a skinny 6-foot-5 sophomore with a low-80s fastball and plenty of room to grow. He's filled out since then to become a power lefty with present stuff and the potential to add even a little more as he reaches his 20s. A first baseman with plus raw power and swing-and-miss issues on the showcase circuit last summer, Wentz is much more intriguing as a 89-96 mph lefthander with a potentially plus low-to-mid-70s curveball and some feel for a changeup. Wentz didn't give up a hit until his fifth start of the season–he had one hit allowed in his first 30 innings. A Virginia commit, Wentz combination of potentially plus stuff and advanced control will likely keep him from pitching for the Cavaliers.

Malvingt2

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
The slot value for Joey Wentz is $1.6M. Braves will pay about two times that to sign him. Money saved from Ian Anderson pick is well-spent.

Windu

Might as well take a prep arm at 44 too.
The 2020 Braves Roster:

1. Pitcher
  2. Pitcher
  3. Pitcher
  4. Pitcher
  5. Pitcher
  6. Pitcher
  7. Pitcher
  8. Pitcher
  9. Pitcher
  10. Pitcher
  11. Pitcher
  12. Pitcher
  13. Pitcher
  14. Pitcher
  15. Pitcher
  16. Pitcher
  17. Pitcher
  18. Pitcher
  19. Pitcher
  20. Pitcher
  21. Pitcher
  22. Pitcher
  23. Pitcher
  24. Pitcher
  25. Pitcher

Chuck

Still without luck
O's been on a roll!

Also it's hilarious that manny got 4 games and shitura got 9. I hope the appeal takes manny to 1 and Ventura to 10.

Windu

Muller. That isn't a high school kid. Thats a giant.

anyway good draft. used their resources effectively.
Scouting Report:

Muller's stock has risen during his senior season as he's dominated while showing improved velocity. Pitching in the competitive Dallas metroplex area, Muller, a Texas signee, struck out a national high school record 24 straight batters over two starts and recorded 36 consecutive outs on strikeouts. He now sits 90-92 mph more consistently after hovering at 87-89 regularly last summer. His delivery is clean and his arm works well with little effort. Muller's improved velocity has come with pitching on plenty of rest, and there are some concerns about how well he can maintain that velocity throwing every fifth day. Muller's slurvy breaking ball has sharpened up and gotten harder but neither it nor his changeup have shown true plus potential. He's is a legitimate prospect as a first baseman/outfielder with well-above-average righthanded power (he hits righthanded but throws lefthanded both as a pitcher and in the field) and would be a two-way contributor if he made it to the Longhorns, but his chances of turning into a future No. 3 or No. 4 starter will likely take the bat out of his hands.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The 2020 Braves Roster:

1. Pitcher
  2. Pitcher
  3. Pitcher
  4. Pitcher
  5. Pitcher
  6. Pitcher
  7. Pitcher
  8. Pitcher
  9. Pitcher
  10. Pitcher
  11. Pitcher
  12. Pitcher
  13. Pitcher
  14. Pitcher
  15. Pitcher
  16. Pitcher
  17. Pitcher
  18. Pitcher
  19. Pitcher
  20. Pitcher
  21. Pitcher
  22. Pitcher
  23. Pitcher
  24. Pitcher
  25. Pitcher

That might work out!

hQpQfku.gif

Quick thoughts on each pick (these are just for the teams that have fans that post the most here):

Ian Anderson: HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh man this is gonna go horribly

Pint's arm is one pitch away from exploding so that's a Rockies pick for sure

Brewers fucked it up, Ray is too safe a pick, leadoff hitter with no pop

A's nailed it.

Zach Collins is a 1B at this level but my god his swing, my favorite in this entire draft, so pretty. Gonna be good.

Kyle Lewis is my #1 prospect so, if they can sign him, Mariners get the biggest steal.

Groome has a ton of question marks, but if he's forreal and can fix his velocity issues he's special, Red Sox did gewd.

I really like Whitley, but his secondary stuff needs a lot of work. But when his heater is on it's dominating, sits at 96 and routinely touches 98.

Fuck the Yankees, that is all.

Justin Dunn and Anthony Kay, two future RP with control issues and meh secondary pitches. DO NOT LIKE. Dunn especially, but hey we went underslot for them probably so, yay for that I guess.

Gavin Lux is the definition of a safe pick. Does everything well, but doesn't excel at anything. Should stick at SS when Seager moves to 3B.

Zeuch is young, tall, has horrible mechanics but will sit at 92 for 7 innings. Only one potential plus secondary, projects as a RP to me.

Craig is a plus bat that can fit anywhere in the IF, but defensively he's very limited.

Fucking Cardinals and their fucking devil magic, three great picks, I hope none of them sign.

Malvingt2

Quick thoughts on each pick (these are just for the teams that have fans that post the most here):

A's nailed it.

Zach Collins is a 1B at this level but my god his swing, my favorite in this entire draft, so pretty. Gonna be good.

Kyle Lewis is my #1 prospect so, if they can sign him, Mariners get the biggest steal.

Groome has a ton of question marks, but if he's forreal and can fix his velocity issues he's special, Red Sox did gewd.

I really like Whitley, but his secondary stuff needs a lot of work. But when his heater is on it's dominating, sits at 96 and routinely touches 98.

Justin Dunn and Anthony Kay, two future RP with control issues and meh secondary pitches. DO NOT LIKE. Dunn especially, but hey we went underslot for them probably so, yay for that I guess.

Gavin Lux is the definition of a safe pick. Does everything well, but doesn't excel at anything. Should stick at SS when Seager moves to 3B.

Zeuch is young, tall, has horrible mechanics but will sit at 92 for 7 innings. Only one potential plus secondary, projects as a RP to me.

Craig is a plus bat that can fit anywhere in the IF, but defensively he's very limited.

Fucking Cardinals and their fucking devil magic, three great picks, I hope none of them sign.

elaborate?

elaborate?

Major project, injury history, all projection, FB is only pitch that consistently flashes plus, mechanics are clean but needs to develop base, but needs significant overhaul on his stuff to project highly.

He's way too much of a project to take there, was taken because he signed for way under slot and it's likely Puk wouldn't. I see a guy with a nice FB and secondary stuff that will never generate swings.

Next too picks are hard throwing lefties, don't feel comfortable with those basically ever but that's just personal preference.

Edit: While the MLB draft is all about upside and projectability, and going underslot does have its uses, I believe Puk is going to be special. Chris Sale level pitcher. If you're gonna go under and get 3 top 30ish level guys, fine, but I think Puk ends up being more valuable than the three put together, in the end.

Windu

A's nailed it.

this stuff is so unpredictable that I can never laugh at a pick. The class was deep in HS pitching, sounds like the braves think anderson has plus pitches and command. (Law did rank him 7th). Allowed them to select the other pitchers too. I would prefer others at 3 but this is based on light reading of a few websites. I trust the braves scouts, so we'll see what happens i guess. They can certainly take their time with these pitchers with all of their depth.

1) Fucking Blue Jays. Back to the old shit.

2) I forgot Paul Quantrill had a son who was a prospect. It's good he went early in the draft. I knew his grandfather, as we used to buy cars off of him. He'd always give me signed Paul Quantrill stuff as a kid.

Malvingt2

Major project, injury history, all projection, FB is only pitch that consistently flashes plus, mechanics are clean but needs to develop base, but needs significant overhaul on his stuff to project highly.

He's way too much of a project to take there, was taken because he signed for way under slot and it's likely Puk wouldn't. I see a guy with a nice FB and secondary stuff that will never generate swings.

Next too picks are hard throwing lefties, don't feel comfortable with those basically ever but that's just personal preference.

Edit: While the MLB draft is all about upside and projectability, and going underslot does have its uses, I believe Puk is going to be special. Chris Sale level pitcher. If you're gonna go under and get 3 top 30ish level guys, fine, but I think Puk ends up being more valuable than the three put together, in the end.

I see...
also

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman
The Braves had Anderson, Muller and Wentz ranked among the top 20 available players on their draft board.

Malvingt2

David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC
#Braves Bridges: "There were bats targeted but you can’t control what happens in the draft. You take the best player available."

Hmm....

I see...
also

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman
The Braves had Anderson, Muller and Wentz ranked among the top 20 available players on their draft board.

I'm giving my opinion as to why I don't believe in the picks. The Braves internals are cool and all but every org says that.

Expect the Red Sox to take a bunch of college seniors and guys you've never heard of for the rest of the draft, Groome is basically their entire bonus pool.

Top Bottom