• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

BigAT

People pretending like they confidently know how these picks are going to pan out.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

Machado is a piece of shit.

Ventura is a piece of shit.

Just because one guy is a piece of shit doesn't make the other piece of shit smell any better.

If anything, Ventura looks like a larger villain in this latest brawl. I just find it funny that people were backing him when he's also a grade A douche.

If anything, Ventura looks like a larger villain in this latest brawl. I just find it funny that people were backing him when he's also a grade A douche.

The fact that the hardest pitch he threw all night was the one he hit him with, that's what got me.

You could legitimately kill somebody if you lost it trying to hit them and nailed them in the head at 99 MPH.

That's real dumb too, but doing it for MLB picks is still exponentially worse.

I don't like what I project our picks out to be. If I'm wrong great, hopefully I'm wrong.

But I don't like Dunn's control issues, Jay doesn't flash anything plus, and Alonso is just a guy. Solid bat. Meh defense. 1B only.

If they project better, if one learns a new pitch that flashes plus, if control issues get work out. Yeah there are variables, but I don't like the projected upside on our guys when there were other options there.

Steel cage death match... Machado, Ventura, Bautista, pierzynski, a Bear.

Only one walks out alive.

Then nuke the cage from orbit after the bear walks away. It's the only way to be sure.

cashman

Banned
KLaw on Alex Speas

Scouting report: Sushi-raw but absolutely oozing with athleticism and upside, Speas looks like he was built in a lab by scouting directors. A loose, athletic 6-foot-4 with loads of physical projection, Speas has a quick, athletic arm that fuels a mid-90s fastball. Its movement is inconsistent and not just in quality but in direction, as scouts have seen 96 with sink and also 92 with accidental natural cut

Rangers
As
Fuck

KLaw on Alex Speas

Scouting report: Sushi-raw but absolutely oozing with athleticism and upside, Speas looks like he was built in a lab by scouting directors. A loose, athletic 6-foot-4 with loads of physical projection, Speas has a quick, athletic arm that fuels a mid-90s fastball. Its movement is inconsistent and not just in quality but in direction, as scouts have seen 96 with sink and also 92 with accidental natural cut

Rangers
As
Fuck

Yep. You guys have a top-3 development program so, he'll be fucking amazing.

Fucking Cardinals and their fucking devil magic, three great picks, I hope none of them sign.
The way the Cards manage their draft money to sign most of their picks is nothing short of devil magic, I agree.

Seriously though, it's great that the early reviews of their draft are good, considering how allergic the Cards were at giving up draft picks this offseason.

The way the Cards manage their draft money to sign most of their picks is nothing short of devil magic, I agree.

Seriously though, it's great that the early reviews of their draft are good, considering how allergic the Cards were at giving up draft picks this offseason.

Delvin Perez alone, if he gets sober (big if), is a top-10 guy at some point.

Thinking the farm system is going to be looking pretty solid after this. See a few guys taking a step forward, plus this draft.

Delvin Perez is an awesome pick. Possible top 5 talent at 23. Don't know what PED he was using (could just be Adderall - Jon Gray was busted for the same and he seems to be doing alright) but honestly I can hardly blame a kid like Perez who's trying to make the biggest bonus he can for his wellbeing and family. He's only 17, after all.

wbsmcs

My friend's brother, Andrew Yerzy, got drafted in the 2nd round by the DBacks yesterday. He's a catcher but I'm already hearing they might convert him to 1B. Anybody here know the DBacks minor system and how long/if until he gets a call to the MLB? 3-4 years maybe?

gamz

My friend's brother, Andrew Yerzy, got drafted in the 2nd round by the DBacks yesterday. He's a catcher but I'm already hearing they might convert him to 1B. Anybody here know the DBacks minor system and how long/if until he gets a call to the MLB? 3-4 years maybe?

Considering he's 17, it'll be a while and how he progresses. Every player has his own timeline. Can't predict it.

Parch

Yep. You guys have a top-3 development program so, he'll be fucking amazing.
That's a bigger factor than most people realize. It changes as coaching personel get moved around, but just how good a franchise is at developing players is just as important as the raw talent on draft day.

The minors is also a meat market for pitchers. Injuries end a lot of careers and the number of baseball prospects that disappear from rankings year to year is shocking.

September 3rd, 2020. He'll pinch hit in the 6th with the Dbacks trailing the Giants 4-2. He'll work the count to 2-2 before lazily flying out to shallow left. He'll spit twice to the right and jog back to the bench.

wbsmcs

September 3rd, 2020. He'll pinch hit in the 6th with the Dbacks trailing the Giants 4-2. He'll work the count to 2-2 before lazily flying out to shallow left. He'll spit twice to the right and jog back to the bench.

First AB against a the eventual WS Champs. Nice.

Jimmy Rollins DFA and Tim Anderson called up.

Surprising move by thw Sox considering Anderson is still a bit raw.

What a crazy season on the Southside. Sizling start by the team, a slide of almost historic proportions followed by a flurry of roster moves by an organization that likes to play it safe when it comes to veterans.
Anderson should be exciting to watch but I don't expect him to eclipse a line like .260/.280/350 as a 21 year old that played in JuCo a couple of years ago.

Malo

Banned
Christopher Meola@dfinenrmlc

Source: Yankees discussing Chapman trade with Cubs. Possible names involved coming later today.

Have no idea how credible he is.

Source: Yankees discussing Chapman trade with Cubs. Possible names involved coming later today.

I'd be surprised if they weren't at least talking. Unless the Cubs are blowing them out of the water on an offer I would probably wait until the Trade Deadline if I were Cashman.

The Yankees won't sell this early. Doesn't make any sense at all. 84-85 wins might net you a wildcard spot. The AL is a complete crapshoot this year.

zulux21

Jimmy Rollins DFA and Tim Anderson called up.

Surprising move by thw Sox considering Anderson is still a bit raw.

What a crazy season on the Southside. Sizling start by the team, a slide of almost historic proportions followed by a flurry of roster moves by an organization that likes to play it safe when it comes to veterans.
Anderson should be exciting to watch but I don't expect him to eclipse a line like .260/.280/350 as a 21 year old that played in JuCo a couple of years ago.

im starting to feel like the white sox are paying attention to me >.>
they keep making the moves I want to see done.

only one left is albers lol.

as for anderson being raw. yeah... but it's not like the team can play much worse with him.
he has hit well for a while now, and the white sox line up is in desperate need for a spark in the line up.

might as well get him some real exp at the majors since he will likely be a part of the white sox plans there for years to come.

im starting to feel like the white sox are paying attention to me >.>
they keep making the moves I want to see done.

only one left is albers lol.

as for anderson being raw. yeah... but it's not like the team can play much worse with him.
he has hit well for a while now, and the white sox line up is in desperate need for a spark in the line up.

might as well get him some real exp at the majors since he will likely be a part of the white sox plans there for years to come.

I think Albers is fine as just a guy in the bullpen, he just shouldn't pitch in high leverage situations.

I like the new draft approach under Nick Hostetler btw. proven college performers instead of toolsy lottery tickets. Collins and Fisher could be in the majors late next year.

One of the students at the school my sister teaches at is probably going to get drafted today, Cooper Johnson from Carmel.
Supposed to be the best defensive catcher in the draft.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Give the braves all of the pitchers. Two more drafted.

Drew Harrington
Scouting Report:

Voted the ACC Pitcher of the Year in 2016, Harrington is a prime example of the well-rounded, successful college pitcher who knows how to pitch with average stuff. Harrington posted a barely visible 0.29 ERA as a reliever as a sophomore and was a model of consistency again as a junior. As the Cardinals' Saturday starter, Harrington made it out of the fifth inning in each of his 14 regular season starts and allowed two or fewer earned runs in 12 of those 14 outings. Harrington succeeds with a two-pitch approach. He'll pitch at 88-91 mph, touching a few 92s and 93s early in the game. His fastball earns average grades because there's some deception and late life down in the zone. This year he's shown the ability to work inside and out with it. He pairs the fastball with an average slider that he can also throw both for strikes and as a chase offering. His changeup is well below-average, but he doesn't throw it very often. Pro teams could develop Harrington as a back-end starter with size (6-foot-2, 229 pounds) and durability, but his two-pitch fastball/slider combo could play up as a lefty reliever throwing in shorter stints.
Bryse Wilson
Scouting Report:

Wilson has carved out quite the legacy for himself at Orange High in Hillsborough, N.C., where he's started football games as a linebacker, quarterback and wide receiver and has served as the baseball team's ace. Batterymates with top prep catcher Brad Debo, Wilson has thrown three no-hitters this spring, including a perfect game on May 10 in the first round of the state playoffs. Thick with a physically mature football player body, the 6-foot-1, 215-pound righthander has touched as high as 96 mph but sits a few ticks lower than that with arm-side run. Scouts question Wilson's ability to consistently spin a breaking ball due to his long arm action, and some see a reliever more than a starter, but his slider has flashed above-average potential at times. A North Carolina signee, Wilson has garnered early round interest and seems likely to sign should he be taken there.

Top Bottom