• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

65tYnQi.png

Apparently looked a lot worse than it is. Obviously torn ligament is still in play.

But it seems that Schwarber has drank his milk

Velcro Fly

Sprained ankle for Schwarber they said

Obviously there is a range of how bad that can be

X-Rays negative but MRI scheduled tomorrow

Kyle Drabek has thrown like 8 fastballs in the dirt in a row
Reminds me of Andrew Baily, brah that on base percentage was a pitcher's stat.

Carlos Rodon looks like he added a little thickness to him, maybe that diminished elasticity effected his slider, because I saw no wipeouts last nigh. Sonny Gray's command was horrible last night too.

clav

Didn't Joe Panik had a good first half and then mellowed the second half last year?

That seems too soon. Either way this team is built with depth, they can handle this injury and not miss a step. Still tough to see so soon though.

Yeah the Cubs shouldn't be too worried. However, fantasy owners who were using Schwarber as a catcher are scrambling for replacements.

Ankle sprains are very minor if it's just that and no other muscle tears.

minx

Cubbies! Rizzo! How many times are we going to hear hoe there are no breaks in the Cubs lineup? Hope Schwarber is ok.

I hear this Maeda guy is pretty good.

8OtBs8U.gif

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES I KNEW THERE WOULD BE GIFS IMMEDIATELY OF THE MAE-KEN STRETCH.

It's awesome.

Also Schwarber having just a high ankle sprain would be a miracle, I thought that was a career altering play.

I fucking hate mlb.com

Such a shitty fucking website

Fun fact, it's so thoroughly broken, that Q/A companies use it to test new hires by finding bugs there.

Fun fact, it's so thoroughly broken, that Q/A companies use it to test new hires by finding bugs there.

I am not surprised... I hate yahoo too for the most part and I find myself going to ESPN for baseball news and scores and I hate ESPN too...

I do love the MLBN but goddamn their website is horrid

clav

What's the Texas Rangers closer situation?

Is Dyson going to get the job now even though he gets the loss for today's game?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I am not surprised... I hate yahoo too for the most part and I find myself going to ESPN for baseball news and scores and I hate ESPN too...

I do love the MLBN but goddamn their website is horrid

Feels like their website hasnt changed in 10 years...probably hasnt actually

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES I KNEW THERE WOULD BE GIFS IMMEDIATELY OF THE MAE-KEN STRETCH.

It's awesome.

Also Schwarber having just a high ankle sprain would be a miracle, I thought that was a career altering play.

High ankle sprains are bad. He'd be out for a while.

zulux21

Schwarber is going to be OK if the x-rays are negative.

He might be out for a week or two though.

xrays are negative for a break. They won't show how much tissue damage there is.

Sprains can vary a ton. given how instantly he wasn't moving that leg and how much pain he is in there is a good chance it will be a lot longer than a week or two to come back.

a sprain can take a lot longer to heal than a broken bone, so just because the bone isn't broken doesn't mean much at this point.

basically it breaks down this way
Mild Spain (about a week) is better than a broken bone (minor break) (set in cast, set time to come back) which is often better than a moderate sprain (looking at 4-6 weeks here with a good chance of hurting it again due to normal use thus can linger for a long time as this is caused by a partial tear if nothing goes wrong the broken bone is worse, but it will likely increase odds of getting hurt again later while a broken bone usually won't). If it is a really serious sprain he is likely going to be lost for the season (or at least most of it, likely would be out for 3 months plus a set of rehab games as this will sometimes require surgery to reattach things.)

obviously it depends how bad the bone break is as well. if you basically shatter your foot into tiny bits that will obviously be way worse. but a clean break really isn't that bad in general.

cashman

Banned
What's the Texas Rangers closer situation?

Is Dyson going to get the job now even though he gets the loss for today's game?

It'll take a couple more weeks of Tolleson pitching like this to make a change since he built up a lot of goodwill last year. Personally I'd rather keep Dyson in a setup role since he can be used in the highest leverage situations instead of being chained to the 9th inning.

zulux21

2-3 months is better than 1-1 1/2 years and never being the same again.

It's certainly not good, but it's not as bad as it could have been, and that in and of itself is a miracle (I Am assuming of course he didn't tear his achillies)

yeah, xray negative is still a good thing as serious breaks would be really bad. we will have to see what else they find though. ideally it will be good news as it would suck for a young promising player to be cut down like that.

Just saying that he isn't out of the woods, depending on what they find from other tests he could still be gone for most of the season.

clav

xrays are negative for a break. They won't show how much tissue damage there is.

Sprains can vary a ton. given how instantly he wasn't moving that leg and how much pain he is in there is a good chance it will be a lot longer than a week or two to come back.

a sprain can take a lot longer to heal than a broken bone, so just because the bone isn't broken doesn't mean much at this point.

basically it breaks down this way
Mild Spain (about a week) is better than a broken bone (minor break) (set in cast, set time to come back) which is often better than a moderate sprain (looking at 4-6 weeks here with a good chance of hurting it again due to normal use thus can linger for a long time as this is caused by a partial tear if nothing goes wrong the broken bone is worse, but it will likely increase odds of getting hurt again later while a broken bone usually won't). If it is a really serious sprain he is likely going to be lost for the season (or at least most of it, likely would be out for 3 months plus a set of rehab games as this will sometimes require surgery to reattach things.)

obviously it depends how bad the bone break is as well. if you basically shatter your foot into tiny bits that will obviously be way worse. but a clean break really isn't that bad in general.

2-3 months is better than 1-1 1/2 years and never being the same again.

It's certainly not good, but it's not as bad as it could have been, and that in and of itself is a miracle (I Am assuming of course he didn't tear his achillies)

yeah, xray negative is still a good thing as serious breaks would be really bad. we will have to see what else they find though. ideally it will be good news as it would suck for a young promising player to be cut down like that.

Just saying that he isn't out of the woods, depending on what they find from other tests he could still be gone for most of the season.

Then again as good as Schwarber was last season, he was a HR machine against righties and sat against lefties (or was it the other way around?), so he wasn't playing all the time.

Not a huge loss for the Cubs.

zulux21

Then again as good as Schwarber was last season, he was a HR machine against righties and sat against lefties (or was it the other way around?), so he wasn't playing all the time.

Not a huge loss for the Cubs.

the baseball season is long. Having extra players that are good is always gonna help in the long term.

that being said the cubs can absorb it better than a lot of other teams. but you never want to lose a talented 23 year old.

BFIB

Cards headed to Atlanta. No reason to not sweep here. If not, I'm gonna be using RBH's gimmick and stealing his .gif.

RBH

marlins-park_miami-mex-taco-dog.jpeg

Miami Mex Taco Dog (Miami Marlins)

Footlong frank with chili con carne, Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro shaved cabbage, jalapeno-lime aioli and fresh salsa, wrapped in a tortilla

Top Bottom