• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Rockies, Phillies, Padres, Marlins, Rays, & Braves all suck just as much as the Angels & the Mariners too, LOL.

Not sure about the other teams...
You're overselling the Phillies and the Braves. They're on a different, much lower, tier.

Trouts a free agent in 2021.

The Angels are a product of Arte Moreno making terrible baseball decisions.

This is going to take years to fix unless they trade Trout for a package of prospects that could replenish the entire farm system, which is as bleak a system as any has been in a very long time

This has to happen this year, I'm 100% convinced. There is no way they can justify keeping Trout with as bad a farm as they have and as bleak a record as they appear to be on the way towards.

Cut bait, get an entire teams farm system for Trout, and start again.

He was really good for us, but never an ace.

In 05'-07' he absolutely was.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Trading Trout *might* be the right baseball move, but it would be the worst PR move since the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

Trout is amazing, but I can't see any team giving up more than 3-4 high prospects for him. He's "worth" more than the Angels could land in return.

dickroach

growin up in South Florida my entire life. was following the Marlins religiously illl the Miami thing.... still kept rolling with it, reluctantly.

I hopped on the Astros bandwagon last year. I'm on it till Loria dies or sells. I've been on the Marlins messageboard for ~10 years . that kept me interested. there was a community. but im so so so so so done at this point.

go Astros.

Malo

Banned
Trout is amazing, but I can't see any team giving up more than 3-4 high prospects for him. He's "worth" more than the Angels could land in return.
I could see Boston putting together a very nice package for trout. Betts, Moncada and Espinoza for Trout, who says no?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
angels should trade Simmons back to the braves while their at it.

Simmons SS
Swanson 3B
Albies 2B

....I know what I am going to do in MLB the show now.

Windu

This guy is posting some gifs from today's Rome Braves game. There's a neat one of a Max Fried curve ball.

23Cr6oR.jpg

It's all okay, ownership will be able to spin this Trevor Story...story to the people here in Mile High to get more fannies in the seats so they can improve their bottom line while still trying to show people they 'truly' care about winning when really they just want your hard earned cash. The Monforts for ya.

I live 40 minutes from the Rockies' stadium and not once have felt the need to go support them. Hot garbage.

I do catch a lot of Sky Sox games, and they're no better. Going from the Rockies AAA affiliate to the Brewers AAA affiliate...

BFIB

I live 40 minutes from the Rockies' stadium and not once have felt the need to go support them. Hot garbage.

I do catch a lot of Sky Sox games, and they're no better. Going from the Rockies AAA affiliate to the Brewers AAA affiliate...
I would just to check out the ballpark.

nillapuddin

Reading the last few pages of this thread would lead you to believing there are 0 good teams in baseball. Cheer up people! It's only 1 week in!

Except the Braves. The Braves are terrible.

I'm not down on my boys, I'm hyped. Cincy to the WS 2016.

4th place division finish

And yeah, while the Barves, Phillies, etc are bad, the Rockies are worse. Especially when the Monforts have figured out the formula to game the system and keep the contempt happening for years to come. Especially since they submarined their trust with the fans by backstabbing Tulowitzki (In all honesty, it was a good trade because it showed Tulo of actual playoff hunts and chases, something that hadn't been present since 2007 for him, but I can see and understand why he is still so pissed at the management core, I would be too)

You can either be mediocre to bad for the next decade with 1 great player or you can rebuild, be terrible for 1-3 years, grow the prospects, select high the in the draft and then you're the next Astros or Cubs.

By trading Trout, you also clear up lots of money on the books. So even if your gate revenues go down, that's offset a bit by the contract being off the books.

But it does take intestinal fortitude and an organization that will be honest with itself, not things the Moreno regime has been great at.

And considering how much of a cash cow Trout has become, are they willing to do it?

Nah. People in the front office will say they have a chance every year in order to save their jobs, particularly the GM. Moreno is too much of a hothead that makes rash and meddling decisions for a GM to propose so bold a plan.

You can either be mediocre to bad for the next decade with 1 great player or you can rebuild, be terrible for 1-3 years, grow the prospects, select high the in the draft and then you're the next Astros or Cubs.

By trading Trout, you also clear up lots of money on the books. So even if your gate revenues go down, that's offset a bit by the contract being off the books.

But it does take intestinal fortitude and an organization that will be honest with itself, not things the Moreno regime has been great at.

And considering how much of a cash cow Trout has become, are they willing to do it?

growin up in South Florida my entire life. was following the Marlins religiously illl the Miami thing.... still kept rolling with it, reluctantly.

I hopped on the Astros bandwagon last year. I'm on it till Loria dies or sells. I've been on the Marlins messageboard for ~10 years . that kept me interested. there was a community. but im so so so so so done at this point.

go Astros.

welcome to the family! We need all the support we can get, if you go by our ticket attendance!

I should point out I haven't been to MM since I moved to Seattle in 2012, but the trend was not good. I think last season might spike up attention :)

Joe

At only 24 years old Mike Trout is already on a trajectory where, if he stays healthy, he ends up one of the games all-time greats...

The Angels, at any point, would be dumb to trade him.

Not only is he literally the best baseball player in the world but he also sell tons of tickets, luxury boxes, TV commercials, and he also creates thousands of young Angels fans that will be fans for life.

cashman

Banned
Nomar Mazara called up to replace Choo. Picked him up as a stash player in the fantasy league, but didn't really think I'd be using him so soon!

Windu

Inciarte put on the DL. Mallex Smith removed from game in Gwinnett.

edit: bah, too slow.

Top Bottom