• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Rivitur

Banned
Man I fell asleep and when I woke up story had hit his homerun,. I watched yesterdays Rockies game just to see if he'd hit one and he didn't. I guess I should just stop watching them then :eek:

So is this Gore guy the AL Billy Hamilton?

He's slightly faster than Hamilton, as he's been clocked at 4.29 in the 40 yard dash. To put that time in context, the fastest player at this year's NFL combine ran a 4.31.

Hamilton is obviously a more complete player, even if his numbers seem to get worse and worse every year. At least he can hit. I'm not convinced Gore can hit at the MLB level. What he can do is come on as a pinch runner and steal second and third with little effort. I wish Gore could at least swing the bat a little, because I'd like to see his steal numbers over a full season. Instead, he spends most of the game standing around in the dugout cutting up with Chris Young and waiting for the call.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
He's slightly faster than Hamilton, as he's been clocked at 4.29 in the 40 yard dash. To put that time in context, the fastest player at this year's NFL combine ran a 4.31.

Hamilton is obviously a more complete player, even if his numbers seem to get worse and worse every year. At least he can hit. I'm not convinced Gore can hit at the MLB level. What he can do is come on as a pinch runner and steal second and third with little effort.

One wonders if that's worth a roster spot though. How's his defense?

One wonders if that's worth a roster spot though. How's his defense?

He's had a grand total of two putout chances with the Royals and made them both. No clue, but I imagine with his speed he can cover a ton of ground.

I think the only reason he's with the 25-man team right now is that Dyson (our other speed demon, and probably top five fastest guys in the league) is on a rehab assignment in AAA ball until next week. Very little chance Gore stays up once Dyson returns, since they play the same positions and Dyson can sorta, kinda hit. He's a career .255 guy with 4.3 speed and as good or better than Cain out in the field. He's earned his shot to be a starter this season, so he'll get it.

When we get to the playoffs, we always call Gore up. He's worth having at that point in the season.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Rz6VhNg.gif

At least the Dodgers get a day off tomorrow to rest. Hopefully that'll help out some with the series against Arizona and SF when they come into town.

Just glad to see the team get out of the hell zone known as AT&T Park.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
He's had a grand total of two putout chances with the Royals and made them both. No clue, but I imagine with his speed he can cover a ton of ground.

I think the only reason he's with the 25-man team right now is that Dyson (our other speed demon, and probably top five fastest guys in the league) is on a rehab assignment in AAA ball until next week. Very little chance Gore stays up once Dyson returns, since they play the same positions and Dyson can sorta, kinda hit. He's a career .255 guy with 4.3 speed and as good or better than Cain out in the field. He's earned his shot to be a starter this season, so he'll get it.

When we get to the playoffs, we always call Gore up. He's worth having at that point in the season.

Eh, sure. I can't really disagree with any of that.

I guess being a Cincy Reds fan all my life Ill give my opinion so far.
BP you da man.
Suarez got himself an arm.
Votto you are disappointing so far but I still believe in you.
Igleisius is really good.
Hamilton gonna Hamilton
BRUUUUUCCE
Cozarts decent
Mesoraco its great to have you back.
Duvall you arent bad
In the end Im hoping for around a .500 record but it has been fun so far.
Hopefully we can beat them damn cubbies.

Macattk15

Ruben Rivera ... just another typical overhyped Yankees prospect!

In '94 Rivera put up a .898 OPS across A-A+ ball and people were comparing him to Mantle? WaaaaaaaaaT.

#JesusMontero.

nillapuddin

I guess being a Cincy Reds fan all my life Ill give my opinion so far.
BP you da man.
Suarez got himself an arm.
Votto you are disappointing so far but I still believe in you.
Igleisius is really good.
Hamilton gonna Hamilton
BRUUUUUCCE
Cozarts decent
Mesoraco its great to have you back.
Duvall you arent bad
In the end Im hoping for around a .500 record but it has been fun so far.
Hopefully we can beat them damn cubbies.

dozens of us!

And keep your eyes out for pokey Reese hes gnna be a star!

ugz7irB.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-giants-20160411-story.html

Roberts emphasized calm as he surveyed the damage.

"I think the 'pen's going to be fine," Roberts said. "We can't always be hitting on all cylinders."

Yes, keep thinking that please!

I caved and bought OOTP 17.

GMing the Dodgers because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Try watching some of this guy's vids:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNAwc-AbSpNulY4DSXnwxgQ

Some of them were for older iterations of OOTP, but the advice should generally still a apply to this year's game.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=28868#.VwuZu-E2j6w.twitter

The Call-Up - Mallex Smith
The Situation: The Braves will be without Ender Inciarte for a couple weeks due to a strained hamstring, and so they’ve called up speed demon Mallex Smith in his place.

Background: Smith was a fifth-round selection by the Padres in 2012 out of Santa Fe Community College in Gainesville, Florida and, after stealing 152 combined bases in 2013-14, he was beginning to move up the San Diego prospect rankings. He was then shipped off to Atlanta in the deal that saw Justin Upton leave, and more success followed; as he hit a combined .303 with 56 stolen bases in stops at Mississippi and Gwinett.

Scouting Report: There aren’t many true 80 speed guys in baseball, but Mallex is one of them. He can absolutely fly, and when he gets on first base, you have to pay close attention to him or he is gone. Early in his career, he ran into too many outs, but his overall success rate of 104 steals in 129 attempts the last two years will play.

As we’ve said numerous times, that speed doesn’t mean much if you can’t get on base, but Smith should be able to do that. He has a quick, compact stroke that is designed for making contact, and when he’s at his best he’ll spray line drives to the opposite field, while also knowing that he can beat out balls on the ground with those elite wheels. There is very little power, and because of his lack of strength, there are times pitchers can knock the bat out of his hands, a la Billy Hamilton. He isn’t allergic to walks, but you’d like to see more because of that speed, and there’s more swing-and-miss than you might anticipate as well.

In the outfield, Smith isn’t an elite defender, but he’s certainly athletic enough to stay in center field, as his—you guessed it—speed lets him get to anything realistic. He doesn’t always get the best jumps or take the most efficient routes, however, and the arm strength means if he was forced to move off center, he’d have to be wasted in left field.

Immediate Big League Future: Whether Smith is successful or not in Atlanta will entirely depend on his approach. If he works counts, makes consistent contact, and puts those legs to work, he’ll be successful. If he can’t, he won’t. There’s a high-floor here because of his ability to run, but if he truly dedicates himself to being a table-setter—and the reports I’ve seen suggest he’s a very hard worker—he could hit at the top of the Atlanta lineup. If not, he’ll be a fourth or fifth outfielder with one really fun tool. —Christopher Crawford
God damn :jnc

BA's Top 50 prospects from 1995:

hNc0a4o.jpg

LOL at Ruben Rivera
You can see BA's top 100 archive here: https://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/all-time

Andruw Jones was the #1 prospect the next two years. #HOF
I caved and bought OOTP 17.

GMing the Dodgers because I have no idea what I'm doing.
With the Dodgers just sign every high profile Free Agent and every Cuban Player.

Top Bottom