• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

Indeed. What use would the Yankees have in a 1B prospect when Bird is a lock for the position?
You can stockpile prospects you know. Turned out pretty decent for Theo and Co. Vogelbach would be a throw in at best in any big deal most likely unless Billy Beane somehow falls in love with him.

WARNING TO QUESO: incoming homer Royals post!!!

Really liking ESPN's all time infield rankings, right up to the point I see Mike Schmidt #1 ahead of George Brett. They're prioritizing Schmidt's superior fielding (unquestionable) over the fact that he's a career .267 hitter.

People somehow still underrate Brett. He's one of four players to get 3,000 hits, 300 home runs, and have a career .300 batting average. The rest of that clubhouse is Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Stan Musial. Brett only has one Gold Glove, so he wasn't a defensive genius, but he was amazing at the plate. Dude hit .390 over the 1980 season...that's absolutely insane. His 1980-1985 run was among the best ever, and he deserved at least three MVPs in that span (only got one).

Going to check out the first base rankings next.

:edit: I forgot how good Frank Thomas was. Hot damn. And Miggy already up there with the best ever at #5. I'd personally place him even higher, but it's hard to account for different eras. Whatever cans Lou Gehrig was crushing in the 1920s wouldn't even last in AA today. Miggy would feast.

Am I the only one that sees this an OK trade? Red Sox get 2.5 years of Pomernanz for a kid who might not be anything. If Pomeranz's performance this season is real I think the trade is fine.

More importantly: How bad is the A's front office? They traded Pomeranz for Yonder Alonso, who has been worth -0.6 WAR this season.

Am I the only one that sees this an OK trade? Red Sox get 2.5 years of Pomernanz for a kid who might not be anything. If Pomeranz's performance this season is real I think the trade is fine.

More importantly: How bad is the A's front office? They traded Pomeranz for Yonder Alonso, who has been worth -0.6 WAR this season.

It doesn't take a rocket appliance to figure out: really bad.

Reading these left fielder rankings, let me say that I'm glad I was alive to see Rickey Henderson play.

Career stats
.279/.401/.419, OPS -- .820, Hits -- 3,055, HRs -- 297, RBIs -- 1,115, Runs -- 2,295 (all-time leader), SB -- 1,406 (all-time leader).

Best lead off hitter of all time.

Really liking ESPN's all time infield rankings, right up to the point I see Mike Schmidt #1 ahead of George Brett. They're prioritizing Schmidt's superior fielding (unquestionable) over the fact that he's a career .267 hitter.

People somehow still underrate Brett. He's one of four players to get 3,000 hits, 300 home runs, and have a career .300 batting average. The rest of that clubhouse is Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Stan Musial. Brett only has one Gold Glove, so he wasn't a defensive genius, but he was amazing at the plate. Dude hit .390 over the 1980 season...that's absolutely insane. His 1980-1985 run was among the best ever, and he deserved at least three MVPs in that span (only got one).

:edit: I forgot how good Frank Thomas was. Hot damn. And Miggy already up there with the best ever at #5. I'd personally place him even higher, but it's hard to account for different eras. Whatever cans Lou Gehrig was crushing in the 1920s wouldn't even last in AA today. Miggy would feast.

Mike Schmidt hit for more consistent power (talking 30-45 home runs) in an era where that wasn't especially common and took more walks than Brett on average. Personally, I think people underrate both of them, but Schmidt was slightly better, slightly more consistent from an offensive production perspective (power/ob guys tend to do better in that regard than high average hitters) and was, as you said, a better hitter. Schmidt has a clear, slight edge.

3b is, overall, an underrated position to excel at I guess.

George Brett is an amazing human being. I adore George Brett. Nothing wrong with George Brett except for when he shits his pants twice a year. And even that turns into the best video of all time.

Mike Schmidt is also god-tier.

Two amazing players.

Do not get me started on Rickey. Rickey is beyond great. Rickey! Ahhhhhhh

Mike Schmidt hit for more consistent power (talking 30-45 home runs) in an era where that wasn't especially common and took more walks than Brett on average. Personally, I think people underrate both of them, but Schmidt was slightly better, slightly more consistent from an offensive production perspective (power/ob guys tend to do better in that regard than high average hitters) and was, as you said, a better hitter. Schmidt has a clear, slight edge.

3b is, overall, an underrated position to excel at I guess.

Yeah, it's really just the homer in me that ranks Brett as the greatest. They're neck and neck, but Schmidt was additionally an amazing defender so I understand the nod.

George Brett is an amazing human being. I adore George Brett. Nothing wrong with George Brett except for when he shits his pants twice a year. And even that turns into the best video of all time.

Mike Schmidt is also god-tier.

Two amazing players.

Do not get me started on Rickey. Rickey is beyond great. Rickey! Ahhhhhhh

I distinctly remember trading away Ken Griffey, Jr. cards in elementary and middle school for a stack of Henderson cards. I loved everything about the guy, from his brash interviews, always talking in third person, and stealing bases at will. When you walked Rickey Henderson, which happened all the time, it was basically the equivalent of giving him a double. Or sometimes a triple.

Dude would win games for his team going 1-2 with two walks, two stolen bases, two runs scored, and an RBI. Simply amazing.

Now I'm watching nonstop Brett clips. Him punching Nettles in the face, that cycle, going 4 for 4 in his final game, man what a player.

Dumb pointless story. Saw him hit the final triple of his career in Anaheim. Caromed off the top of the fence back into play. Was rad.

That 1980 slash line of .390/.454/.664 is just ridiculous.

Really liking ESPN's all time infield rankings,
right up to the point I see Mike Schmidt #1 ahead of George Brett. They're prioritizing Schmidt's superior fielding (unquestionable) over the fact that he's a career .267 hitter.

Ortiz is on the list, that utterly invalidates it.

Brett was great, but that list was ass.

Chris R

Four whole days without baseball. Thank fuck that's over with, now if the Mariners can stay in some kind of race into August I'll be happy.

Mortemis

Banned
Four whole days without baseball. Thank fuck that's over with, now if the Mariners can stay in some kind of race into August I'll be happy.

we're currently #1 in the race for most blown saves in the AL. I'm sure we can stay in that kind of race!

it's a good trade for boston, people are just way over the top with prospect clutching these days. i'd almost always trade an 18 year old pitcher in low a for an established good-but-less-than-ace quality 27 year old major league pitcher, unless it's an other worldly talent. the most likely long-term outcome of this, by far, is that the red sox end up getting the most value. you just cannot count on pitchers that young to be healthy/durable enough to start, let alone be good at it. the reality is that most of them end up being nothing.

wbsmcs

not remotely close. the padres got an 18 year old pitcher. the cubs got a positional prospect who was also a top 5 prospect (not to mention another top 100 guy).

Oh ok I see. So Espinoza now being the Padres top prospect is more due to the lack of talent the Padres actually have.

My problem with the trade is that fundamentally I just don't think Pomeranz is that good a fit for this team. He's a lefty who favors RF contact who has never thrown more than 100 innings before this year that we're suddenly expecting to thrive in Fenway Park? I don't see it.

I get that DD is a prospect skeptic and always will favor an instant impact everyday major leaguer over potential, but how much impact can adding a left-handed Porcello really have?

It's a move that screams desperation.

My problem with the trade is that fundamentally I just don't think Pomeranz is that good a fit for this team. He's a lefty who favors RF contact who has never thrown more than 100 innings before this year that we're suddenly expecting to thrive in Fenway Park? I don't see it.

I get that DD is a prospect skeptic and always will favor an instant impact everyday major leaguer over potential, but how much impact can adding a left-handed Porcello really have?

adding a left-handed porcello for an 18 year old pitcher in low a would be amazing. i don't really see the comp though. pomeranz is way more of a k guy.

BFIB

I would think Espinosa would fetch better than a pitcher having one solid half season in the best pitchers ballpark in the majors.

I would think Espinosa would fetch better than a pitcher having one solid half season in the best pitchers ballpark in the majors.

most teams are finally starting understand what smart FOs have been onto for years, which is that pitchers that young are basically lottery tickets and shouldn't be overvalued. that's not to say that pomeranz doesn't have his share of risk as well.

BFIB

most teams are finally starting understand what smart FOs have been onto for years, which is that pitchers that young are basically lottery tickets and shouldn't be overvalued. that's not to say that pomeranz doesn't have his share of risk as well.

The Shelby Miller trade has made everyone gun-shy regarding the value of pitchers.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Doc and Darryl now airing on ESPN.

Two of NY's finest!

f9rvMrb.jpg

Beckx

Doc's "letter to my younger self" on player's tribune is worth reading

also: Straw says he had sex in the clubhouse between innnings

jbug617

Banned
Jays having internal discussions about adding Beltran via Jim Bowden
Toronto Blue Jays have had internal discussions about possible interest in acquiring Carlos Beltran if the Yankees decided to move him at the trade deadline according to a club source. They have also been linked to Melvin Upton Jr. Not sure of the fit for either one unless plan would be to put Edwin Encarnacion at 1B.

Nice we got Garrett to agree to terms. I was worried that he was going to decide to go to Vandy.

I'm counting on the A's to give the Marlins a break on Hill or Gray.
Hey I can dream....

In hindsight, would you feel better about the trade if Addy didn't pan out, or none of the players pan out?

That's baseball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

That's assuming that every trade is a coin flip. That's certainly not the case. This trade in particular was rotten to begin with.

With the position the A's were in at the time of the trade, the trade was superfluous. It was something they did because they could, not because they really should.

They used Russell as a chip because they had a chip. Russell is a guy that should have never been moved.

I'm counting on the A's to give the Marlins a break on Hill or Gray.
Hey I can dream....

What Boston gave up just made the prices go higher I'd have to imagine.

wbsmcs

Would you guys say the Phillies have already won the Hamels trade? Eickhoff is already looking better than him this year, and I wouldn't necessarily even want Hamels for 25million until 2019.

I like Hendrix a lot. He's just crafty. You get so used to seeing guys throw 92+, that it's nice to see a guy that can pitch.

Bullpen can't lose this one, right?

Top Bottom