• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

Line_HTX

jDoxmAP.gif

:(

Man, fuck... I feel really sad just staring at this gif...

:(

Choomp

Banned
That press conference was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. This has got to be one of the game's most devastating losses ever.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Jose had the potential to be one of the most dominant pitchers in the league and just like that... gone.

Taken far too young.

RIP to him and his friends.

While I will forever hate the Marlins for 97', this absolutely transcends sports and is an absolute tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jose's family, friends and the Marlins organization and fans.

Im crying like a baby after seeing the clip pf him seeing his grandma after so many yrs. Shit man.

Mets have a Mets Fernandez 16 jersey in the dugout.

It goes to show that even though I am a fan of an AL East team that doesn't get to watch many NL games aside from the big names, it shows a lot that everybody from every team is saying good things about Jose.

That should be his legacy. That he was a bright soul, and even better man. One that always had a smile on his face when he was on TV.

Jose Fernandez was pure joy:

Jose Fernandez was not someone you had to remind yourself to humanize. He was not a player you had reduced to an on-field construct because that’s just how we have to compartmentalize everything. No, no, goodness no. He was so radiant that when he’s ripped away, you almost have to force yourself to remember the talent. How well he played the sport is the afterthought because all you can think about at first is the joy.

Joy. He lived to be happy, and it poured out of your TV or computer or phone, unless you were lucky enough to be there and have it pour into the stands. If Fernandez were around in 1922, the joy would have crackled over the airwaves, and even though it would have been possible to never see moving pictures of him pitching, the joy would have been a virus that infected the announcer, and it would have been passed to you, even if the exact word "joy" wasn’t uttered once. You would have known. It would have been impossible not to.

We can’t wait this one out. Jose Fernandez is gone, and there’s a dark, dark void, an absence of joy. I didn’t know him, didn’t know his favorite movies, didn’t know how he laughed at them. Didn’t know if he slurped his coffee or if he even drank coffee. All I know was that he was one of the most beautiful personalities I’ve ever watched in this sport. There wasn’t another player who reminded us of just how fun it was to be here, in which "here" could be defined as watching a specific baseball game, just as easily as it could be defined as being alive at all.

The story also has an awesome video of Fernandez losing his mind at a Stanton homer, plus this amazing picture from a bench-clearing brawl:

Line_HTX

Finally defected on his 4th attempt, officially became a US citizen, and NL Rookie of the Year 2013...

I just watched MLBN interview the Marlins broadcaster and as it went on with Jose Fernandez's stories outside of baseball he just broke down in tears.

This is too awful and way too soon...

Joe

I was in bed reading Twitter feeds for fantasy football and one tweet said that the Miami Dolphins were going to have a moment of silence for Jose Fernandez. I was like wtf? Why would they have a moment of silence for him? Did he hurt his arm? No that's stupid. Did he get into a car crash? Hm maybe. Then I went to espn.com. Him dieing didn't even enter my mind as a scenario. I hate this. I can't even imagine what his family must be feeling right now.

KingBroly

Banned
Usually on Sundays I watch football. Today I'm watching Baseball. It just...feels like the right thing to do.

Yeah.

I'm not even a Marlins fan and this fucking sucks ;_; like FUCK

I'd give him the CY in memorium, absolutely earned it this year.

Should be in Cooperstown too. One of the single most dominant baseball players I'v ever seen in my entire life.

Kid was special, and knowing now that he was expecting his first child is gutwrenching.

Sanjuro

I'd give him the CY in memorium, absolutely earned it this year.

Should be in Cooperstown too. One of the single most dominant baseball players I'v ever seen in my entire life.

Kid was special, and knowing now that he was expecting his first child is gutwrenching.

The situation isn't great, but I don't think that is a good precedent.

Kieth and Gary are emotional talking about Jose. Really good to see how many people loved Jose.
The loss of his presence in baseball will be felt for a long time. I doubt you'll see anybody else with the same joy and heart like Fernandez going forward. Truly a one of a kind player.

I'm looking forward to watching many tributes today in his honor, especially Vin's words.

3N16MA

Banned
he was driving wasted and killed himself plus a young girl in the passenger's seat. not really comparable to this.

That is not what I'm getting at when comparing the two. Both were MLB players, young, loaded with talent, both ranked as top 5 prospects in the same season.

They seemed destined to be elite players in the league for years to come.

That is not what I'm getting at when comparing the two. Both were MLB players, young, loaded with talent, both ranked as top 5 prospects in the same season.

They seemed destined to the elite players in the league for years to come.

even then, still a poor comparison. taveras was a prospect. fernandez was established as an elite major league player.

I'm not sure what you're getting at? I'm not looking to get into a debate over this.

Feel free to disagree.

i get what you're saying, i just think you're doing fernandez a disservice by comparing him to taveras, both in terms of who he was as a player, and how he died.

3N16MA

Banned
i get what you're saying, i just think you're doing fernandez a disservice by comparing him to taveras, both in terms of who he was as a player, and how he died.

You're making this much bigger than it is and coming up with nonsense that I clearly explained was not part of my post.

Two young talented players passed away. Both were ranked in the top 5 BA prospect list in the same season.

End of story. Final post on the matter.

You're making this much bigger than it is and coming up with nonsense that I clearly explained was not part of my post.

Two young talented players passed away. Both were ranked in the top 5 BA prospect list in the same season.

End of story. Final post on the matter.

okay? i don't understand why you seem to be upset.

just seemed kind of messed up and odd to compare him to some guy who killed himself and another while being shitfaced, just because they happened to be top 5 prospects together years ago.

3N16MA

Banned
okay? i don't understand why you seem to be upset.

just seemed kind of messed up and odd to compare him to some guy who killed himself and another while being shitfaced, just because they happened to be top 5 prospects together years ago.

Don't stress yourself out too much. MLB GAF is a relaxed place.

Just breathe.

Top Bottom