• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

Malo

Banned
everything ive read on the kid seems fairly average. any cubs fans care to fill me in?
Looks like Mateo with a better hit tool but not as good a runner. MLB.com has him ranked as the 24th best prospect in MLB. Turning Jagielo and Rookie Davis into Torres would be a great flip.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Expectations may be low as the Mets limp toward next Monday's non-waiver trade deadline, but they are among several teams who are trying to stay in the mix for All- Star catcher Jonathan Lucroy, two industry sources confirmed to the News this weekend. Their ability to stay in those conversations, however, depends on which blue-chip prospect they will package with catcher Travis d'Arnaud, the sources explained.

The Brewers turned down a straight deal of Lucroy for d'Arnaud

Brewers fucked up. Could have gotten a catcher that can't throw and sleeps in a bed filled with injury bugs for an ok catcher.

Looks like Mateo with a better hit tool but not as good a runner.

Also like a year and a half younger playing in the same level

Pretty tremendous return for Chapman, especially if there is a "plus" to it

edit: Mike Mayers not off to a great start. I guess there weren't any better options though :lol

Yeah uh, Chapman isn't worth Torres +.

Theo might be getting taken to the shed here.

Link.

Brewers fucked up. Could have gotten a catcher that can't throw and sleeps in a bed filled with injury bugs for an ok catcher.

Lucroy is a lot better than okay.

Dude's the best defensive catcher in the game and can smack it everywhere. If he wouldn't cost us Rosario I'd be all for it.

Friggz

Looks like Mateo with a better hit tool but not as good a runner. MLB.com has him ranked as the 24th best prospect in MLB. Turning Jagielo and Rookie Davis into Torres would be a great flip.

This is exactly the comp that came to mind when reading his scouting report. "Better hitting Mateo"

Malo

Banned
Also like a year and a half younger playing in the same level

Pretty tremendous return for Chapman, especially if there is a "plus" to it

edit: Mike Mayers not off to a great start. I guess there weren't any better options though :lol
It makes me salivate at the thought of what Miller could bring back.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Dude's the best defensive catcher in the game and can smack it everywhere. If he wouldn't cost us Rosario I'd be all for it.

I should have added a /s after my post. :p

You are underestimating how big a swap of Chapman for Richard would be in our BP.

Even if you get an extension as part of the deal, that's a lot to give up.

the extension would easily swing it for me. i'd still be very very surprised to see theo give up torres for a 2 month relief rental, but an extension would definitely make it worth it to me.

that's in a baseball sense. as far as adding chapman the person... ehh. i don't know how i'd feel.

the extension would easily swing it for me. i'd still be very very surprised to see theo give up torres for a month relief rental, but an extension would definitely make it worth it to me.

that's in a baseball sense. as far as adding chapman the person... ehh. i don't know how i'd feel.

You can't really count the extension in as part of the value. Chapman was a free agent so you could have just signed him in the offseason. Either way you are giving up a top prospect for a month+ rental.

You can't really count the extension in as part of the value. Chapman was a free agent so you could have just signed him in the offseason. Either way you are giving up a top prospect for a month+ rental.

Exactly. And rumors are that it's not just Torres in the deal.

You're not getting adequate value for a rental piece.

BigAT

adf6aacb399069f8e3f77d60fe80dd0e

i saw keith law making this point, and it makes no sense. the certainty of long-term control absolutely matters. even if you're confident you can sign him in the offseason, there are a million things that could change his mind between now and then, and that's before you even consider the bidding war. i don't see how you could possibly say it makes no difference.

cashman

Banned
Eh, I think it's starting to look pretty obvious that teams value prospects extremely differently based on where they see themselves on the win curve.

Yeah, it looks like we're back in a sellers market. Rangers are gonna have to fuck their farm system to get a good starter now

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #Phillies scouting #Marlins’ Gulf Coast league affiliate in preparation for a possible Hellickson trade.

The Mets better not sit on their thumbs. Even if they don't have much to trade.

i saw keith law making this point, and it makes no sense. the certainty of long-term control absolutely matters. even if you're confident you can sign him in the offseason, there are a million things that could change his mind between now and then, and that's before you even consider the bidding war. i don't see how you could possibly say it makes no difference.

Becuase there is no bird rights in baseball, and now there is also no qualifying offer for guys traded midseason, so really there is little to no advantage to resigning a guy if you trade for him midseason. The Cubs are trading for the next 50 or so games of Aroldis Chapman. Anything beyond that simply costs money and anybody can give that to him. There is very little tangible advantage or value to having a guy on your team before he hits free agency.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan

Sources: Aroldis Chapman to Cubs looking likelier. Multiple pieces from Cubs, including Gleyber Torres, are agreed upon. Still not done.

Becuase there is no bird rights in baseball, and now there is also no qualifying offer for guys traded midseason, so really there is little to no advantage to resigning a guy if you trade for him midseason. The Cubs are trading for the next 50 or so games of Aroldis Chapman. Anything beyond that simply costs money and anybody can give that to him. There is very little tangible advantage or value to having a guy on your team before he hits free agency.

you're thinking of this very illogically. you're assuming that if the cubs are able to sign him now, that they'll be able to sign him this offseason. this is false. the tangible value is that you eliminate the very real risk that you lose him after 2 months. you can't just say "you can sign him in the offseason" as if that's entirely in the team's control. it's not. even if the extension ends up being market value, there is value in the addition of winning the bidding of the player himself.

this is a mistake people often make, and it always baffles me. aroldis chapman is a human who could decide not to re-sign with the cubs for a millions reasons that might be not be apparent to him at this very moment. even if you're willing to bid as much as anyone in the offseason, you can't force him to pick you.

Malo

Banned
Julie DiCaro@Julie DiCaro

Source confirms Soler in the mix to NYY.

Julie DiCaro

Cubs have been interested in Eovaldi for some time. He could be part of a package.

This just got more interesting.

you're thinking of this very illogically. you're assuming that if the cubs are able to sign him now, that they'll be able to sign him this offseason. this is false. the tangible value is that you eliminate the very real risk that you lose him after 2 months. you can't just say "you can sign him in the offseason" as if that's entirely in the team's control. it's not. even if the extension ends up being market value, there is value in the addition of winning the bidding of the player himself.

this is a mistake people often make, and it always baffles me. aroldis chapman is a human who could decide not to re-sign with the cubs for a millions reasons that might be not be apparent to him at this very moment. even if you're willing to bid as much as anyone in the offseason, you can't force him to pick you.

I didn't know you meant if he agrees to an extension now. In that case, yes there is value in having him on the roster. Is that in play though? Because either way I don't think that factors into the package the Yankees will want in a trade.

Top Bottom