• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

I mean you have to give up something good to get something good

there's half a dozen teams that would want chapman I don't think he'd be given away for peanuts

still missing the point, which is that torres' value IS to us right now, as trade bait. not later. using him for chapman means you can't use him for something else,

But Chapman is exactly the kind of guy you use trade chips for.

I don't get the negativity on this deal.

What is better value than a guy that will slam the door at the back end of a bullpen in a playoff situation?

gamz

having "plenty of chips" has no bearing on this one particular chip's value, and doesn't mean he is any less valuable.

i'm done arguing, i don't even think it would be THAT bad of a trade. it's just not the best use of his value.

It's the best use of his value right now tho.

If they can get a cost control stud starter for torres it would already happen. Whatever, I trust our FO.

But Chapman is exactly the kind of guy you use trade chips for.

I don't get the negativity on this deal.

What is better value than a guy that will slam the door at the back end of a bullpen in a playoff situation?

value that lasts for longer than 3 months. i mean, do we really need to dig into the concept of rentals?

Rentals have won plenty of championships.

It's the best use of his value right now tho.

If they can get a cost control stud starter of torres it would already happen.

Lol no one is giving up a quality major league starter with years of control for a guy in high A. Cmon now.

Malo

Banned
Jeimer Candelario and Warren could be the other pieces in the deal according to the NY Post. Warren coming back home.

Never heard of Candelario, can any cubs fan here give a quick scouting report?

gamz

Jeimer Candelario and Warren could be the other pieces in the deal according to the NY Post. Warren coming back home.

Candy is a fringe prospect at best.

who said that torres would be getting that by himself?

fucking cubs fans making me argue against the cubs

What did you call me?!?!? Them's fighting words!!

Cubs fans will feel much better about the deal when Chapman is closing out the final game of the World Series.

And there will be Addisson Russell, and I'll weep.

But I do know that the A's trading Russell for Lester was the right move to make for the A's. It just didn't work out.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

He looks like a candle, but not the tall skinny kind. The 3-wick Bath and Body Works scented kind.

gamz

Cubs fans will feel much better about the deal when Chapman is closing out the final game of the World Series.

But I do know that the A's trading Russell for Lester was the right move to make for the A's. It just didn't work out.

Wasn't Lester. It was Shark.

the right move? they traded him (plus mckinney) for samardzija and hammel, and it was a disaster that is widely viewed as one of the worst trades in recent years. it's like, the exact opposite of what you would want to cite as an example.

Wasn't Lester. It was Shark.

Yep. I've tried to block it all out since then.

Shark and Hammel. Whateves. Still the right move.

the right move? they traded him (plus mckinney) for samardzija and hammel, and it was a disaster that is widely viewed as one of the worst trades in recent years. it's like, the exact opposite of what you would want to cite as an example.

It was still the right move at the time.

Just because the deal didn't work out doesn't mean the deal itself was bad.

I saw him last night in Memphis, actually. Thought he looked pretty good, personally. Hit a nice double. If I'm remembering right, I thought he had a really good arm and made a nice play or two.

Speaking of that, the Cubs have a 1B in AAA with hair that rivals Thor's, IMO. The beard doesn't quite work with it, though

Good thing our entire AAA rotation consists of potential MLB sp talent (Taillon, Glasnow, Kuhl, Brault, Trevor Williams, Kingham...)

That's def where the value is. Not a market inefficiency by any means, but having a farm/team loaded with cost controlled SP that you supplement with position players via trade/FA is probably much more enviable than the opposite.

rando14

Jeez Cubs fans werent kidding.... all this Vogelbach kid does is rake and get on base

I've never felt hope like this before...!!

harSon

Banned
Give us Meadows or Glasnow and we'll gladly give you guys a reliever.

We don't really need a reliever anymore. Our bullpen has the best era in baseball over like the last 40 days.

We'll take Eovaldi off of you for nothing, and transform him into a good player like we do everyone you trade to us :3

gamz

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 6m6 minutes ago
Source: #Yankees-#Cubs trade, if completed, is not simply a 2-for-1 - Torres and another prospect for Chapman. “Much more than that.”

gamz

Done deal. They are getting 4 fucking players back? Damn!

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 38s38 seconds ago
Source: #Cubs, #Yankees working through final stages of trade. Players agreed upon.

Joel Sherman ✔ @Joelsherman1
This is what heard on Chapman from #Yankees to #Cubs: Hal Steinbrenner has given blessing. Yankees likely getting 4 players back (cont)

Joel Sherman ✔ @Joelsherman1
#Cubs deal to #Yankees would be headed by Gleyber Torres and Adam Warren is in deal. Neither Jorge Soler nor Javier Candelario is in deal

Top Bottom