• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

Malo

Banned
I didn't know you meant if he agrees to an extension now. In that case, yes there is value in having him on the roster. Is that in play though? Because either way I don't think that factors into the package the Yankees will want in a trade.
Heyman says there haven't been any extension talks.

I didn't know you meant if he agrees to an extension now. In that case, yes there is value in having him on the roster. Is that in play though? Because either way I don't think that factors into the package the Yankees will want in a trade.

the rumors are that the cubs want to extend him right as the trade goes through. and yeah, it makes no difference to the yankees. for them to get torres for their 2 remaining months of chapman control would be a great deal for them.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
BREGMAN CALLED UP FOR THE ASTROS. LETS PARTY!!

Prepare your anus.

lymWsf1.gif

gamz

the rumors are that the cubs want to extend him right as the trade goes through. and yeah, it makes no difference to the yankees. for them to get torres for their 2 remaining months of chapman control would be a great deal for them.

I don't believe that for a second. Chapman is a complete wildcard and the Cubs wouldn't extend him without seeing if he can fit in the clubhouse for the rest of the year.

Yes, getting Torres is a great deal for the yanks. He's a stud.

jbug617

Banned
One of the Boston writers say from his sources that the White Sox are really not looking to trade Sale (young ace with a great contract). However if the Red Sox allow the White Sox to pick through their farm system a deal could get done fast.

I don't believe that for a second. Chapman is a complete wildcard and the Cubs wouldn't extend him without seeing if he can fit in the clubhouse for the rest of the year.

Yes, getting Torres is a great deal for the yanks. He's a stud.

what do you mean "fit into the clubhouse"? there is the moral question of whether or not they should get him, and there's the risk something else off the field might happen, but none of that is relevant to the clubhouse, and there's nothing that they have to evaluate before deciding if they want him long-term.

gamz

what do you mean "fit into the clubhouse"? there is the moral question of whether or not they should get him, and there's the risk something else off the field might happen, but none of that is relevant to the clubhouse, and there's nothing that they have to evaluate before deciding if they want him long-term.

Because I don't think an extension is even on the table given his back ground.

Because I don't think an extension is even on the table given his back ground.

they'd be willing to give up a top 30 prospect for 2 months of him, but they have no interest in him past that?

if they're willing to trade for him at all, that means they're "okay" with it.

yeah i don't know, this whole things weird. an extension seems unlikely, but a top 30 guy for a rental would be surprisingly un-theo like.

The NL is kinda weak, and winning a title with the Cubs is like winning anywhere else. Theo is in GFIN mode and I don't blame him. Nobody will care which prospects they traded, and how they turned out, or if they ever win another title if they win the World Series this year.

gamz

they'd be willing to give up a top 30 prospect for 2 months of him, but they have no interest in him past that?

if they're willing to trade for him at all, that means they're "okay" with it.

Yes, because they are loaded and that's exactly what prospects are far for a shot at the WS.

The Cubs have a ton of SS depth to begin with.

The NL is kinda weak, and winning a title with the Cubs is like winning anywhere else. Theo is in GFIN mode and I don't blame him. Nobody will care which prospects they traded, and how they turned out, or if they ever win another title if they win the World Series this year.

well, my problem wouldn't be at all with trading torres. he is prime fodder. my problem if that i'd prefer he be used in a deal for somebody with control. the cubs have been heavily rumored to be after young starting pitchers with control (archer has been a name that's popped up recently), and i'm much more interested in using our better tradeable assets for something like that.

Yes, because they are loaded and that's exactly what prospects are far for a shot at the WS.

The Cubs have a ton of SS depth to begin with.

the cubs organizational depth at ss is completely irrelevant to torres' trade value. if you don't trade him for chapman, you can trade him for other things, his value is his value.

and saying "prospects are for a shot at the world series" is extremely simplistic. the best way to increase your chances of winning a world series is to put yourself in the position to make the playoffs as many times as possible and hope you eventually luck out in the crapshoot that is the postseason, not by making short-sited splurges to marginally increase your chances of winning in a single year,

gamz

the cubs organizational depth at ss is completely irrelevant to torres' trade value. if you don't trade him for chapman, you can trade him for other things, his value is his value.

and saying "prospects are for a shot at the world series" is extremely simplistic. the best way to increase your chances of winning a world series is to put yourself in the position to make the playoffs as many times as possible and hope you eventually luck out in the crapshoot that is the postseason, not by making short-sited splurges to marginally increase your chances of winning in a single year,

Dude, right now, today, and for this year they need a bullpen and to get the best closer in baseball is a get. Yes, it's costly with Torres, but you have Baez and Addy who are cost controlled and ML players right now.

Dude, right now, today, and for this year they need a bullpen and to get the best closer in baseball is a get. Yes, it's costly with Torres, but you have Baez and Addy who are cost controlled and ML players right now.

it's a game of value, and the cubs are building to have as many shots at the postseason as possible. using torres to get something under control for longer would increase our chances of winning more than a rental. the cubs are hoping to be at the beginning of a long stretch of playoff appearances. you keep that going by getting the most value you can for every single asset. adding pieces for a single playoff run is generally a fool's errand.

i'm not even saying it would be an atrocious trade, i just think it would be kind of a poor usage of value, and very uncharacteristic of this front office. if they made the trade i'd swallow hard and then quickly become excited about how good the bullpen would look for the rest of the year.

gamz

it's a game of value, and the cubs are building to have as many shots at the postseason as possible. using torres to get something under control for longer would increase our chances of winning more than a rental. the cubs are hoping to be at the beginning of a long stretch of playoff appearances. you keep that going by getting the most value you can for every single asset. adding pieces for a single playoff run is generally a fool's errand.

i'm not even saying it would be an atrocious trade, i just think it would be kind of a poor usage of value, and very uncharacteristic of this front office. if they made the trade i'd swallow hard and then quickly become excited about how good the bullpen would look for the rest of the year.

When you are stacked on postionable players sometimes you have to pull the trigger for a shot at the WS this year. I get what you are saying, but it's why you have a good system. It's not like they don't have a cost controlled SS, 2b, and 3b right now. They do.

When you are stacked on postionable players sometimes you have to pull the trigger for a shot at the WS this year. I get what you are saying, but it's why you have a good system. It's not like they don't have a cost controlled SS, 2b, and 3b right now. They do.

again, the cubs major league roster is completely irrelevant to his trade value. plus, he's 19 and in advanced a. he's so far away that it wouldn't even matter anyways. if he was 23 and ready for the majors, i could maybe kind of see your argument in that they'd be in more a hurry to trade him and be less picky, but that's not the case. they have all the time in the world.

gamz

again, the cubs major league roster is completely irrelevant to his trade value. plus, he's 19 and in advanced a. he's so far away that it wouldn't even matter anyways. if he was 23 and ready for the majors, i could maybe kind of see your argument in that they were running out of time to trade him, but that's not the case. they have all the time in the world.

But if they have a chance this year why not go for it? Why not win it all this year with chances for more.

Braves went to the playoffs 12-13 straight years and won 1 title.

Adding Chapman with Strop and Rondon makes that bullpen that much sexier.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
again, the cubs major league roster is completely irrelevant to his trade value. plus, he's 19 and in advanced a. he's so far away that it wouldn't even matter anyways. if he was 23 and ready for the majors, i could maybe kind of see your argument in that they'd be in more a hurry to trade him and be less picky, but that's not the case. they have all the time in the world.

Ask the Mets about how having all the time in the world worked out for them this year.

But if they have a chance this year why not go for it?

Adding Chapman with Strop and Rondon makes that bullpen that much sexier.

"why not go for it" is a blanket statement that could be used to justify all kinds of bad trades. it's just poor value for a top 30 prospect, plain and simple.

but i'd quickly get over it

gamz

Well, if you trade prospects for rentals like Chapman vs. cost-controlled players it doesn't expand the window

That rotation is pretty old. Would think prospects would be better spent on acquiring a young, cost-controlled starter.

And they still have depth to do just that.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

The way I look at it, there's an exchange rate involved between current and future value. The Cubs are in a position where current value is worth more, so Torres would have less worth to them now than he would be worth if they were in the losing part of the win cycle and he's equal in value to a lesser amount of current value.

gamz

"why not go for it" is a blanket statement that could be used to justify all kinds of bad trades. it's just poor value for a top 30 prospect, plain and simple.

but i'd quickly get over it

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet. It fucking sucks, but that's why you draft well and have a stacked system.

It seems like a lot to give up, but Chapman is special and if we win the World Series this year any price is worth it. We would still have plenty in the farm.

The way I look at it, there's an exchange rate involved between current and future value. The Cubs are in a position where current value is worth more, so Torres would have less worth to them now than he would be worth if they were in the losing part of the win cycle and he's equal in value to a lesser amount of current value.

if you view torres strictly as trade bait (like i do), then none of that really matters. my point was just that the cubs majoe league roster has no bearing on him. he was very likely to be traded soon anyways.

bottom line is that they should be able to get more from a top 30 prospect than a rental of a reliever, albeit it a godly one

gamz

Yes, this. He's 19 and another 2-3 years away. I hate to lose a stud, but they have young studs up right now. In 2-3 years I trust the FO to draft well.

Yes, this. He's 19 and another 2-3 years away. I hate to lose a stud, but they have young studs up right now. In 2-3 years I trust the FO to draft well.

still missing the point, which is that torres' value IS to us right now, as trade bait. not later. using him for chapman means you can't use him for something else,

gamz

if you view torres strictly as trade bait (like i do), then none of that really matters. my point was just that the cubs majoe league roster has no bearing on him. he was very likely to be traded soon anyways.

bottom line is that they should be able to get more from a top 30 prospect than a rental of a reliever, albeit it a godly one

In a perfect world. What you are getting heading to the playoffs is the best closer in the game to lock it down this year. I'll take that gamble.

gamz

still missing the point, which is that torres' value IS to us right now, as trade bait. not later. using him for chapman means you can't use him for something else,

But the Cubs have plenty of chips moving forward. Every GM is going to have to bite the bullet. If there is a chance to gain someone special like Chapman for a chance at the title you take it.

Choomp

Banned

Pretty much. All this trade talk is getting me excited. Lmao d'Arnaud for Lucroy was an actual thing?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Well, you're talking about the opportunity cost but that's dependent on the shape of the market and the internal evaluations by the Cubs of what they need.

But the Cubs have plenty of chips moving forward. Every GM is going to have to bite the bullet. If there is a chance to gain someone special like Chapman for a chance at the title you take it.

having "plenty of chips" has no bearing on this one particular chip's value, and doesn't mean he is any less valuable.

i'm done arguing, i don't even think it would be THAT bad of a trade. it's just not the best use of his value.

Top Bottom