• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

jbug617

Banned
Padres play with Olivera

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Padres can escape $28.5M obligation to Olivera only if he goes to prison for domestic-violence charge. Case still pending.

@Ken_Rosenthal: #Padres expected to DFA Olivera, as others have reported. Mere conviction would not allow SD to void deal. He would need to go to prison.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: According to rules, #Padres cannot void Olivera’s deal. If he goes to prison, he would not be paid during time he could not work.

RBH

you mean 20 million extra. it sounds like the braves ignored that olivera was a sunk cost and compounded the mistake by taking on a more expensive replacement level player. they won't be competing for most/all of kemp's remaining deal, so it doesn't really matter in terms of payroll restrictions, but i don't see the point.

Eh, considering the lack of power options in FA over the next couple of years and the absolute dearth of power in the Braves' system overall, I think Kemp is a relative bargain, even with his horrible defense. I'm interested to see what they do with Markakis now.

I'm honestly just amazed that Coppolella was able to find someone who would even entertain the idea of trading for Olivera.

Kinda funny how this trade today is exactly one year after the Olivera/Wood trade was finalized.

Since June 1, Kemp is hitting .296/.333/.513 with 13 doubles, 10 homers and 36 RBI in 48 games. #Braves
https://twitter.com/KevinMcAlpin/status/759533971810181121

CloudyBitterGenet-size_restricted.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I feel like last year when the Braves got Olivera, someone here was trying like hell to convince me that it was a good trade and that Olivera would be good while I was bitching about it from the moment it was even speculated.
I was in the camp that it was a decent trade. Peraza I thought was nothing special, utility player. Wood, good but we had pitching depth and I thought he was an injury waiting to happen, then again all pitchers are. Jim Johnson Avalan, useless.

I trusted the braves scouts and baseball America spoke highly of Olivera and he was supposed to play 3B..Decent risk imo, Paco Rodriguez is a good arm, but whether he comes back from injury, who knows. Zachery Bird minor leaguer SP has been a huge disappointment...But the braves got a draft pick from the marlins. If Joey Wentz turns into what his potential is....Braves win the trade.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/26271672/v953450583

Praying for this game to get rained out. Mets need to step out, prolong some abs and get a few hits to delay if they not gonna score here.

I think the thinking is that at least they got a warm body back who might give them some value. As you said the cash isn't a huge issue, so I think they'd rather take a chance on Kemp giving them something for more money rather than just walking away with nothing.

kemp is so bad, though. even if you ignore the money, he shouldn't really be starting. to take an even worse contract seems weird. olivera was a sunk cost, no sense making the situation worse.

Windu

kemp is so bad, though. even if you ignore the money, he shouldn't really be starting. to take an even worse contract seems weird. olivera was a sunk cost, no sense making it worse.
Looks like the money isn't any different for the braves. So basically they just got a better player in kemp for the same money they were paying Olivera.

RBH

i thought the pads were only eating 10-12 million. how much is olivera owed?

Hector Olivera is owed $28.5 million from 2017 to 2020. Matt Kemp is owed $54 million from 2017 to 2019. Reports indicate the Padres will send $10-12 million to Atlanta.

That means, assuming the money is spread out evenly through the next three years, the Braves will pay Kemp about $5 million more per year than they would be paying Olivera. Kemp will be paid $14.5 million by the Braves, $4M by San Diego and $3.5M by the Dodgers, who sent money over in their 2014 trade with the Padres.

Is Kemp worth the additional $5 million in 2017, 2018 and 2019?
http://www.talkingchop.com/2016/7/30/12333990/matt-kemp-trade-braves-padres-hector-olivera-reaction

For $5 million/year, I say yes, Kemp is worth it, all things considered.

i see. kemp isn't worth 5 mil a year (he's at 1.7 wins over the last 4 seasons) and probably shouldn't even be starting, but at least he isn't a piece of shit like olivera.

our of curiosity, why did olivera get suspended 82 games and chapman only got 30 games? i haven't really been paying much attention to MLB's policies.

i see. kemp isn't worth 5 mil a year (he's at 1.7 wins over the last 4 seasons) and probably shouldn't even be starting, but at least he isn't a piece of shit like olivera.

our of curiosity, why did olivera get suspended 82 games and chapman only got 30 games? i haven't really been paying much attention to MLB's policies.

Chapman fired a gun at a garage ceiling. Olivera actually slugged a woman.

Windu

They havent released many details on it. Some altercation at the hotel in VA when in town for the nationals.

Top Bottom