• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

RBH

i see. kemp isn't worth 5 mil a year (he's at 1.7 wins over the last 4 seasons) and probably shouldn't even be starting, but at least he isn't a piece of shit like olivera.

our of curiosity, why did olivera get suspended 82 games and chapman only got 30 games? i haven't really been paying much attention to MLB's policies.

Coppolella has never been too impressed by the influence of defensive metrics on WAR. He probably figures that Kemp's power figures offset his defensive deficiencies, especially for a team where there is virtually no power to be found in any level of the system.

lot of money for a replacement player. i would have just dumped olivera and eaten the contract if they had no other options. or just kept him. he sucks but there's probably still a better chance of him turning it around than 32 year old kemp.
That extra money they would have had if they simply just DFA'd Olivera (which is spread out over multiple years, mind you) wouldn't have been enough on the open market to fill the power gap the Braves have in any real significant manner, honestly. And not quite sure about Olivera "turning it around" when his sample size thus far has been woefully mediocre.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
and from what I saw live of one game of Hector in LF....kemp will be a better fielder.

Coppolella has never been too impressed by the influence of defensive metrics on WAR. He probably figures that Kemp's power figures offset his defensive deficiencies, especially for a team where there is virtually no power to be found in any level of the system, from single A to MLB.

good job by san diego praying on a bad front office, if that's the case.

CoqCONaWIAAKApH.jpg

the cycle never ends

RBH

good job by san diego praying on a bad front office, if that's the case.

I don't think San Diego and AJ Preller have the right to look down upon any other front office if we're going to talk about "bad front offices" when you consider the moves they made to get into the position they're currently in.

I don't think San Diego and AJ Preller have any right to look down on any other front office if we're going to take about "bad front offices."

And I'm pretty sure no team really uses WAR that is publicly available. The defensive metrics we have suck. Far too volatile.

I don't think San Diego and AJ Preller have the right to look down on any other front office if we're going to talk about "bad front offices" when you consider the moves they made to get into the position they're currently in.

Indeed. Probably one of the worst front offices in MLB.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anthony DiComo‏ @AnthonyDiComo

Curtis Granderson is 1-for-his-last-14 (.071) and 7-for-his-last-38 (.184). He's hit one home run in his last 86 plate appearances.

And now Ces is out. This team is a mess.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
This current Braves' FO is probably about middle of the pact, but there's a lot we don't see that goes into that.

This current Braves' FO is probably about middle of the pact, but there's a lot we don't see that goes into that.

Yeah, more or less the Braves ineptitude comes from the fact that they have had to tear everything down and start over in time for the move to Suntrust.

The Padres and by extension the D-Backs are straight up bad FO's.

jbug617

Banned
I don't think San Diego and AJ Preller have the right to look down upon any other front office if we're going to talk about "bad front offices" when you consider the moves they made to get into the position they're currently in.

He made great trades with my Red Sox. Damn you Dombrowski.

Malvingt2

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
Padres make it official: They've designated Hector Olivera for assignment immediately upon acquiring him.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
Padres make it official: They've designated Hector Olivera for assignment immediately upon acquiring him.

Those big money Cuban signings the Dodgers made sure are something else. Guerrero, Olivera and arruebarruena(had to look up the spelling for that one) cost a combined $120 Millions and provided absolutely nothing.

Those big money Cuban signings the Dodgers made sure are something else. Guerrero, Olivera and arruebarruena(had to look up the spelling for that one) cost a combined $120 Millions and provided absolutely nothing.

I think they are the baseball FA equivalent of waving around your e-penis.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
driving up the market for other teams.

driving up the market for other teams.

Well, driving the prices for others doesn't exactly work if you have to pay them in the end.
But yeah of course they can afford these mistakes but that kind of money still buys you a couple of nice free agents who can actually play ;)

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
the braves do have a lot of money to spend...not exactly an exciting FA class though....

I just want to see the young guys. Give me Swanson, Albies, Ruiz, Dustin Peterson, add Mallex Smith and hopefully some improvement from our young pitchers and I'll watch no matter their record.

And I'm pretty sure no team really uses WAR that is publicly available. The defensive metrics we have suck. Far too volatile.

you don't need metrics to know that kemp is an atrocious fielder who doesn't hit enough to make up for it. i'm glad there are still front offices that don't understand the importance of defense. makes life easier for a front office like the cubs have.

really though, i'm nitpicking about kemp. i don't see the point in paying extra for him, but it's not a big enough deal to complain too much.

Cecil coming in and not sucking may have been the best part of today's game.

I suppose Happ continuing his ridiculously good season was all right too.

Top Bottom