• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

C-wB1U5XgAIPDwT.jpg

Noah, being a super-hero and all, I fully expect to see him in 10 days (see ya in a couple months, maybe).

Dude was muscling-up and trying to throw 150 MPH yesterday in the 1st inning (instead of, you know, actually pitching).

Edit: Mets just playin' everybody and setting up their August-September stretch drive, no need to worry.

Some notes on Thor...

"...In the offseason, Syndergaard gained 17 pounds of muscle with a high-protein diet in hopes of adding velocity to his fastball.

"Hopefully it allows me to go deeper into games with more ease, but it's also focused on paying a lot of attention to my flexibility," Syndergaard said in February. "Pitching is not just max effort, it's about being fluid and having flexibility out there."

Former pitcher and pitching coach Tom House told the Bergen Record's Bob Klapisch in February he felt Syndergaard would get injured by the second week of June.

"Unless you're picking up a ball while you're getting stronger, you're just adding muscle that doesn't know how to throw," House told Klapisch. "It's unskilled muscle..."

----------------------------------------------------

Hopes of adding velocity, wow.

Caja 117

Some notes on Thor...

"...In the offseason, Syndergaard gained 17 pounds of muscle with a high-protein diet in hopes of adding velocity to his fastball.

"Hopefully it allows me to go deeper into games with more ease, but it's also focused on paying a lot of attention to my flexibility," Syndergaard said in February. "Pitching is not just max effort, it's about being fluid and having flexibility out there."

Former pitcher and pitching coach Tom House told the Bergen Record's Bob Klapisch in February he felt Syndergaard would get injured by the second week of June.

"Unless you're picking up a ball while you're getting stronger, you're just adding muscle that doesn't know how to throw," House told Klapisch. "It's unskilled muscle..."

----------------------------------------------------

Hopes of adding velocity, wow.

Shit, that sounds like something that could mess up his carreer, so what does he do now? Loose weight? Try to condition the muscle?

crpav

Shit, that sounds like something that could mess up his carreer, so what does he do now? Loose weight? Try to condition the muscle?

I've always wondered if current workout and training routines are way too hard on our bodies and contribute to shorter careers and more injuries. Look at the old days when players basically practiced by just playing the game and worked on swinging and throwing instead of(unless I am way off and wrong) lifting, running, dieting, supplementing and trying to over train.

I meant ours as in I lift and workout not that I am a pro sports athlete.

Why the fuck would you need to throw harder when you already throw a 100mph? How about you learn how to be more efficient with your pitches? smh. He should of learned from Verlander and not go all out in the beginning of games.

BumRush

Why the fuck would you need to throw harder when you already throw a 100mph? How about you learn how to be more efficient with your pitches? smh. He should of learned from Verlander and not go all out in the beginning of games.

I think he meant he wanted to naturally throw harder so that 100 took significantly less effort. It was a theory that was speculative and not based at all in physiology.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Can we talk about athlete culture and not being health-conscious in general? It's been changing for the better, but these young guys still need to get more proactive and concerned in general with potential injuries. Like, don't refuse MRIs for instance.

BumRush

Can we talk about athlete culture and not being health-conscious in general? It's been changing for the better, but these young guys still need to get more proactive and concerned in general with potential injuries. Like, don't refuse MRIs for instance.

I agree.

There are so many things about the game today that make it impossible for the majority of pitchers to stay healthy (letting them throw curves at 12 years old, for starters)

KingBroly

Banned

I'm surprised they let him refuse an MRI, tbh. I've never heard of that happening before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom