• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only awake to post broom GIFs.

chapelle-broom-dance-2-o.gif

SRTtoZ

Since when is Chasen Shreve good? Actually most of the guys in the Yanks pen that I usually call bums showed up big tonight. Well done.

BumRush

Ain't nobody got time for 18 innings... I'm definitely in the minority but I think baseball should do regular season ties after 10 innings.

An 18 inning game where human garbage gives up the lead in the 9th but the Yankees win anyway is pretty much an ideal game (short of Yankees crushing like 12-0)

Beckx

Ain't nobody got time for 18 innings... I'm definitely in the minority but I think baseball should do regular season ties after 10 innings.

Agree, but 12 innings

Also 28 man rosters with 3 inactive (for resting SP) so you have more bench bats.

BumRush

Agree, but 12 innings

Also 28 man rosters with 3 inactive (for resting SP) so you have more bench bats.

I'm in.

Baseball is so incredibly stuck in its ways. Games need to get shorter and faster, and players need to stay healthier. I'm not advocating for big changes (e.g. less games) but putting a cap on game length (like NFL) is a no-brainer to me.

No, leave that kids baseball stuff off the mens games.

It works perfectly fine in the NFL

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Also this game is exhibit #37826 on why NL baseball is stupid and should have been abolished 50 years ago.

Wrong

Bunch of crybabies you AL guys

Correct.

giphy.gif

This I can get behind.

Beckx

Eh, not really.

Man. One eighteen inning game has driven people to madness.

"THESE 18 INNINGS GAMES EVERY DAY ARE RUINING THE SPORT!"

"THINGS ARE WORSE THAN EVER!'

After watching a league with 12 inning ties I've come to realize ties are not a big deal and basically insure that you're getting rested pitching in most games.

i know very well that ties will never fly in the US though. I mean look up, one guy felt his manliness threatened by the very mention of it!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Alright, as a casual Baseball fan, what are the big differences in how AL teams and NL teams play?
there isn't any much of a difference. One uses a DH, one does not. Perhaps 30 years ago it was different since there was no interleague play and the umpires in the leagues were different but not anymore. Its really one big league now with 6 divisions. They really should think about reallinging the leagues based on time zone (and get rid of the DH).

Tall4Life

Alright, as a casual Baseball fan, what are the big differences in how AL teams and NL teams play?

Biggest is that the AL has a Designated Hitter, so the pitchers don't have to bat. This leads to less possible injuries for them because they don't have to swing or run the bases, which they're not accustomed to doing because they're primarily pitchers.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
then don't watch it? check the box score in the morning. If they do that 10 inning bullshit, baseball would be dead to me.
Biggest is that the AL has a Designated Hitter, so the pitchers don't have to bat. This leads to less possible injuries for them because they don't have to swing or run the bases, which they're not accustomed to doing because they're primarily pitchers.
if a pitcher can't jog to first or swing a bat without getting hurt, he has no reason being a professional athelete. Pitchers getting hurt batting is the lamest excuse for the DH.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

The biggest is the DH that is used in the AL, which is someone who is batting for the pitcher, and can be placed at any spot in the lineup. (The pitcher can be in the NL too, but they are usually penciled in to bat last. Unless your manager is Tony LaRussa)

The NL doesn't use it, so they tend to rely on the "Double Switch", which usually means that two players are getting replaced, the pitcher and another position player. That position player who is being put in, takes the pitchers batting spot (again, usually 9th) and the pitcher will be batting in the order of the player who was taken out.

BumRush

Eh, not really.

Man. One eighteen inning game has driven people to madness.

"THESE 18 INNINGS GAMES EVERY DAY ARE RUINING THE SPORT!"

"THINGS ARE WORSE THAN EVER!'

It's not last night's game at all. It's more watching the Mets (awfully run) bullpen trot out there for 9 innings one game because of a 15 inning game, only to underperform the next 3 games until a starter goes 8.

So, yes, part of my desire to have 10 inning ties is because terry has no fucking clue how to manage a pen.

Caja 117

It works perfectly fine in the NFL
so are steroids, that doesnt mean they need to be embraced by MLB.

Why people ask for rule change about something that perhaps will not happen again this season? last year we only had 8 games out of 2,400 games that lasted more than 15 innings. changing how baseball is played because of something that is rare is absurd.

The NL plays baseball the way it was intended, with every player having to bat, and managers having to weigh leaving their pitcher in to bat if they're pitching well or swapping them out to pinch hit in scoring situations. Having a pitcher than can hit decently makes them even more valuable.

The AL decided to change the rules to attract fans that are only interested in seeing more scoring. So their pitchers don't have to bat, and fans theoretically get to see dingers by guys with knees so bad they can barely run 90 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom