• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

last year we only had 8 games out of 2,400 games that lasted more than 15 innings. changing how baseball is played because of something that is rare is absurd.

picking 15 innings was a scrub move tbh - but it does illustrate the real point that ties remove a few games so they don't hurt your "entertainment" while at the same time helping ensure the teams will remain more entertaining in the upcoming days.

roughly 10% of games go to extra innings. of those, roughly 75% are over after 11 innings. Go to 12 innings and it's almost 90%. Capping extra innings at 12 (or even 11) removes only a few outlier games that will have a disproportionate impact on the performance of two teams in the following days. Seems very reasonable to do that to me.

but americans hate unmanly ties so MLB will probably just do the stupid runner on second thing.

Extra inning games have been on the rise since the 80s. The record for extra inning games has been surpassed like 5 or 6 times.

BumRush

picking 15 innings was a scrub move tbh - but it does illustrate the real point that ties remove a few games so they don't hurt your "entertainment" while at the same time helping ensure the teams will remain more entertaining in the upcoming days.

roughly 10% of games go to extra innings. of those, roughly 75% are over after 11 innings. Go to 12 innings and it's almost 90%. Capping extra innings at 12 (or even 11) removes only a few outlier games that will have a disproportionate impact on the performance of two teams in the following days. Seems very reasonable to do that to me.

but americans hate unmanly ties so MLB will probably just do the stupid runner on second thing.

Extra inning games have been on the rise since the 80s. The record for extra inning games has been surpassed like 5 or 6 times.

This reasoning is fine to me

cashman

Banned
This is how the season has been going for the Rangers.

3og0IBpqP08QFqKva8.gif

Sanjuro

I think having more available batters is fine.

Ties, runners on second make no sense for a something that doesn't need fixing.

DH rule for me is preferable because it doesn't make sense for pitchers to have no developmental experience hitting then told to start doing it at the highest level.

Caja 117

Steroids are also banned in the NFL, no?

Yes, they are "Banned".

more free baseball!!!....Maybe MLB only hates that people are getting free baseball.

Extra inning are fine as they are. I will never understand how can people say they are fans of the game yet want the game to change so much.

jman2050

The NL plays baseball the way it was intended, with every player having to bat, and managers having to weigh leaving their pitcher in to bat if they're pitching well or swapping them out to pinch hit in scoring situations. Having a pitcher than can hit decently makes them even more valuable.

The AL decided to change the rules to attract fans that are only interested in seeing more scoring. So their pitchers don't have to bat, and fans theoretically get to see dingers by guys with knees so bad they can barely run 90 feet.

Pitchers being batters like everyone else made perfect sense back when pitchers actually did bat about as well as everyone else. That is no longer true, and in fact pitcher hitting has gotten substantially worse over the past 100 years.

There is absolutely zero enjoyment on watching a pitcher bat. The rarity of an actual highlight occuring from a pitcher batting only emphasizes what an abysmal experience it is the rest of the time. It's a dumb anachronism that nearly every other professional baseball league in the world wisely gravitated away from. Only the dumb NL "tradition" persists because of sheer stubbornness.

Sanjuro

The DH is probably the single biggest "problem that didn't need fixing" in the history of the game, though.

One of the hardest things to do in sports is hit a baseball, and you have guys with no experience going up to the plate.

Why not just have Billy Crystal do it?

There is absolutely zero enjoyment on watching a pitcher bat. The rarity of an actual highlight occuring from a pitcher batting only emphasizes what an abysmal experience it is the rest of the time. It's a dumb anachronism that nearly every other professional baseball league in the world wisely gravitated away from. Only the dumb NL "tradition" persists because of sheer stubbornness.

Nah, I actually enjoy watching Bumgarner, Arietta, Kershaw, etc bat.

Also, are you really gonna take away this, one of the all-time greatest moments in baseball?

wkjHJbF.png

Beckx

One of the hardest things to do in sports is hit a baseball, and you have guys with no experience going up to the plate.

Why not just have Billy Crystal do it?

I don't really care about the DH anymore. i probably did at one point but, eh, it's fine.

just saying in terms of rule change scope, that one is massive. I wonder how many people were called FAKE FANS back in the day

3N16MA

Banned
Alright, as a casual Baseball fan, what are the big differences in how AL teams and NL teams play?

AL baseball has evolved to a superior version of the game. The DH was implemented which removes pitchers (who are paid to pitch and field their position) from having to embarrass themselves.

Parch

They say no DH is more of a manager's game. Pinch hitting decisions, double switch, blah blah blah. What would you rather watch? A power hitter at the plate? Or a manager think?

I think more often than not a pitcher hitting is an embarrassment for the game. They struggle to hit. It's a rally killer. They can't run. Yes there are exceptions, but for the most part a pitcher hitting is just cringeworthy. Pitchers need to focus on pitching. It is THE critical component of the game, and even the slightest risk of injury to the critical position isn't worth it. Pitchers being forced to hit? Embarrassing themselves and the game? Get it out of the game.

The DH has been around long enough that it is now an accepted part of baseball. It's good for the game. The player's union would certainly approve adding the DH to the NL. It would eliminate these interleague fiascos. Every team should have a DH.

BumRush

Extra inning are fine as they are. I will never understand how can people say they are fans of the game yet want the game to change so much.

I don't love the game of baseball because of the extra innings rules. Will I only watch if they change that rule? Of course not. But it's okay that our favorite sports make adjustments over time.

Just curious, Caja, where do you stand on the DH? The Wildcard?

no, there is no match between us at gwf4

you're not going to get in the way of me pounding atlanta back into the dirt where it belong

ALSO YOU POSTED THIS IN THE MLB THREAD HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT A MARK
Been back and forth within the threads. Been reading this great debate on the DH situation. I forgot which thread i was in

I'll take the roll up pin on this one

E: If DH existed in the NL, would Barry or McGwire have over 80 Hr's in one season?

3N16MA

Banned
Ain't nobody got time for 18 innings... I'm definitely in the minority but I think baseball should do regular season ties after 10 innings.

Agree, but 12 innings

Also 28 man rosters with 3 inactive (for resting SP) so you have more bench bats.

Only 63 out of 2428 games (2.59%) went beyond 11 innings last season. 55 of those games ended before the 16th inning. That leaves 0.33% of games going beyond 15 innings.

Seems like you guys want a major change to something that is insignificant.

Sanjuro

I don't really care about the DH anymore. i probably did at one point but, eh, it's fine.

just saying in terms of rule change scope, that one is massive. I wonder how many people were called FAKE FANS back in the day

Agreed. It's just at that point where it could make more sense, especially with an expanded bench.

Caja 117

I don't love the game of baseball because of the extra innings rules. Will I only watch if they change that rule? Of course not. But it's okay that our favorite sports make adjustments over time.

Just curious, Caja, where do you stand on the DH? The Wildcard?

The DH thing Is fine how it is, and now is basically the only thing that differentiates both leagues, personally I like watching NL games more because no DH, but the DH itself doesn't bother me. Regarding the Wilcard it was ok as originally implemented, the current form of one game playoff is probably the worst modern thing in baseball with the new Intentional Walk rule.

My problem with the changes that has been coming and proposed in the past few years in baseball is the obsession on trying to make games end faster, Extra Inning proposed rules is to make the game be shorter so they are "Less Boring"

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Frozenprince has been banned the last two weeks or so and Windu (or anyone else for that matter) still hasn't passed him in posts yet...

I'm a proponent of the Layton Rule which is to have to change your DH when you change your pitcher.

It's the only way I'd be able to accept the DH in any form, and it would make the player's union happy as fuck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Glad I watched the most strikeouts ever in a MLB game

I'm not being sarcastic

NL is the only real baseball

I just want to congratulate both teams for combining to strike out 8 more times than Tony Gwynn ever struck out in an entire season.

BumRush

Who's going to be the poor sucker having buyer's remorse after he turns back into a pumpkin?

It's always fun to speculate. Right now, the Indians, Jays, Orioles and Marlins are having a hard time scoring runs. Could probably cross the Marlins off the list (doubt they'd make that trade in the same division), but I could see one of the other teams pulling the trigger.

3N16MA

Banned
What do you expect to get for 3 months of Jay Bruce? The Mets didn't give up much to get him and he was locked up for a few seasons.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gwynn is good but I feel he is overrated.

He had a .338 career batting average over 20 seasons, with 434 career strikeouts in 10232 plate appearances. In what universe is he overrated?

JABEE

Ryan Howard had a legendary Phillies Career.

WS Champion, MVP, NL HR King.

Hats off for Howard on an amazing career.

Parch

So Martin is ded too
That brings our ded list to Donaldson, Happ, Sanchez, Tulo and Martin.
what a season
The lack of Blue Jay depth is now fully exposed. No worthy prospects so they're dumpster diving for discarded vets to fill in.
The team is also too old. I can see why nobody wanted to sign Batista. He looks done.
Biagini should be a fine starter but it just creates a hole in the bullpen. This is going to be a tough season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom