• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jim Johnson, Arodys Viscanio and the braves will forfeit any game against the nationals in 2017 for Bryce Harper

Caja 117

Do you fully understand all the stats I listed? Honest question.

You are again fixated on Gwynn and his hits and not the quality of those hits (weighted on base). BA and total hits are a bad way to rate a player and is often done when more advanced stats are ignored.

Abreu managed to hit more doubles and homers than Gwynn while having less PA and total hits. He managed to get on base at a higher rate than Gwynn despite a lower BA. He stole more bases than Gwynn and generally was a better base runner.

Gwynn is good but his stats are overrated because in general BA and total hits are often overrated (not that they're not important)

He is not head and shoulders above guys like Tim Raines or Barry Larkin as a complete player and he is not top 25 player but some rate him as he is. Just look at his HoF vote % compared to those guys.

Bro, I understand advanced stats, you talking to someone that was placing bets on baseball at age 13 and was born And raised in a country that breath baseball.

Advanced stats have little relevance here (funny how your advanced stats feature info like Homers and SBs and leave out carrer hits) just because Bobby Abreu isnt mentioned more doesnt make Tony Gwynn overrated, it could make Abreu Underrated, you are talking about a guy who got more than 3,000 hits in almost the same amount of PA Abreu had.

Read my post again, And see the point behind why Gwynn is correctly rated the way he is, nothing to do with anything else but his hiting, that i need to defend a guy that got 3,000 hits and has been the closest player to reach a 400 BA in a season in the past 4 decades is not overrated is just giving me a nervous twitch.

3N16MA

Banned
Bro, I understand advanced stats, you talking to someone that was placing bets on baseball at age 13 and was born And raised in a country that breath baseball.

Advanced stats have little relevance here (funny how your advanced stats feature info like Homers and SBs and leave out carrer hits) just because Bobby Abreu isnt mentioned more doesnt make Tony Gwynn overrated, it could make Abreu Underrated, you are talking about a guy who got more than 3,000 hits in almost the same amount of PA Abreu had.

Read my post again, And see the point behind why Gwynn is correctly rated the way he is, nothing to do with anything else but his hiting, that i need to defend a guy that got 3,000 hits and has been the closest player to reach a 400 BA in a season in the past 4 decades is not overrated is just giving me a nervous twitch.

Include the 3000 hits if you want as it changes nothing. These milestones don't make a player greater than he is. If Adam Dunn would have reached 500 HR or Johnny Damon reached 3000 hits it would not make them levels above who they were as players because they reached a magic number.

Earlier you basically described Gwynn as a high contact singles machine.

I'm holding to the point he is a good player that gets overrated due to his high average and plenty of hits.

Caja 117

Include the 3000 hits if you want as it changes nothing. These milestones don't make a player greater than he is. If Adam Dunn would have reached 500 HR or Johnny Damon reached 3000 hits it would not make them levels above who they were as players because they reached a magic number.

Earlier you basically described Gwynn as a high contact singles machine.

I'm holding to the point he is a good player that gets overrated due to his high average and plenty of hits.

But Adam Dunn nor Damon reached those milestones and thats the point, 3,000 carreer hits a big deal and not an easy feat.

You can hold to your point he is overrated thats is your opinion, but stats says otherwise.

On the bright side, Straily has looked really good so far this season. He could be a decent middle of the rotation guy moving forward.

Hopefully we'll give up a bunch of runs early tomorrow, so I can enjoy the game without being disappointed.

3N16MA

Banned
But Adam Dunn nor Damon reached those milestones and thats the point, 3,000 carreer hits a big deal and not an easy feat.

You can hold to your point he is overrated thats is your opinion, but stats says otherwise.

Stats say he is outside the top 100 in plenty of categories. Of course he is in there for BA and hits.

Downplaying the greatness of Tony Gwynn. Jesus.

If Ted Williams says dude's one of the greatest hitters ever then dude is one of the greatest hitters ever.

Caja 117

They matter but you have overvalued them. I won't doubt your knowledge of sabermetrics which means you shouldn't be placing such great emphasis on those two numbers.

It's the reason why I say he is overrated.

Im not overvalued them, but they still are important stats that defines a hitter, and while i might know sabermetrics, Im still old school.

Mortemis

Banned
What a crazy game. Every time I check the Phillies lead has either increased or disappeared. Came right in time to see Motter's double.

Let's go Eddie!

Nats got to figure this bullpen out. If that means turner to pen and late innings then so be it.

And I'm still very surprised Andrew Stevenson hasn't been in the tryouts for center field. His style being so close to Eaton

BARNES

One more for the good guys.
Austin!

Austin!

Doyers win

Ly0HJTi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom