• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

So were the prospects that were traded away for him.

I get that, as a Cub fan, you are predisposed to see this deal in the most positive light, but you must grant that the price paid for Quintana was steep, yeah?

Of course, but they have the players to get a solid number 2 you do it. I think it's a great trade for both teams. You gotta clear out position players. Cubs have tons of them and they didn't touch their ML roster.

zulux21

Color me surprised regarding the Sox/Cubs trade. Was just talking to a coworker last night on how they are hardly ever trade partners.

On the surface I like this deal. That 4+ ERA kinda bothers me but I haven't seen him pitch much lately. Still, I'm glad they did it since it helps with thier biggest need. I feel they need another piece to spark the lineup though.

that 4 ERA is very misleading and if you only count starts since the start of june I think he has like a 2.7 era (was like a 2 before his last two starts :p)

he had two really bad games at the end of may you take those away and he looks like his usual consistent solid self.

plus being in the NL will help his era either way.

crpav

I haven't a clue what todd frazier will get the white sox.

the age of high power low batting average is okay seems to be over. that being said he has been hitting better recently, is still a decent defensive third baseman and is a real power threat so I imagine some team will want him.

Maybe Frazier can go get what Aaron Judge got a few years ago, or gain the attitude and frame of mind he /hashas, and turn that TERRIBLE average but power to spare to a great all around hitter...

I'm kidding but you know what I mean, I hope.

Malo

Banned
you got a 1b who is a career .300+ hitter (in the minors), who seems to have found his power this year and is batting .366 over 300+ at bats this year with 17 home runs for a replacement level reliever.

I really don't know what milwaukee was thinking.

I also don't get why the yankees fans on mlbtraderumors in general seem down on this trade.

there are plenty of solid relievers on the market in general (heck the white sox have a number of them that wouldn't be super expensive) this was a solid trade and the yankees can make more.
It's low cost Bird insurance. If he can catch, he's already better than Carter.
Braves have 7 in keith law's top 50.

Ronald Acuna - 9
Kolby Allard - 26
Ozzie Albies - 32
Kyle Wright - 35
Luis Gohara - 39
Ian Andrson - 41
Mike Soroka - 49

http://markbradley.blog.myajc.com/2...ve-7-of-top-50-prospects-but-ozzies-slipping/

(and probably a few more from 50-100.)

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7372
The barves are stacked.

that 4 ERA is very misleading and if you only count starts since the start of june I think he has like a 2.7 era (was like a 2 before his last two starts :p)

he had two really bad games at the end of may you take those away and he looks like his usual consistent solid self.

plus being in the NL will help his era either way.

Any pitcher looks better if you don't count their bad starts. Quintana has a 4.50 ERA and a 4.00 FIP, but he's rightfully projected to pitch better based on his history.

edit: misinterpreted the data, point still generally stands however

zulux21

Any pitcher looks better if you don't count their bad starts. Quintana has a 4.50 ERA and a 4.00 FIP, but he's rightfully projected to pitch better based on his history.

Per Dan Szymborski, Quintana actually isn't even among the top 48 starters in biggest ERA change when removing 3 worst starts.

Still a much better pitcher than his 4.50 ERA shows though.

well he hasn't had a great year this year, I am not saying remove those two and he is a top starter just saying he had two really bad starts that are inflating his numbers quite a bit compared to normal as he doesn't usually have really bad starts.

also thinking about things, top three teams I dislike
Yankees, red sox, cubs.

the red sox have sale, cubs Q now.

thus I think the yankees somehow obtain abreu as he is the last tradable player that I really like and it would only be fitting if the three players I enjoyed watching play the most last year were on the three teams i dislike the most by the end of this year lol.

well he hasn't had a great year this year, I am not saying remove those two and he is a top starter just saying he had two really bad starts that are inflating his numbers quite a bit compared to normal as he doesn't usually have really bad starts.

Sure, I'd just rather point out Quintana's career numbers, track record, and projection rather than take away a few bad starts (which makes any pitcher look better). He's still 18th in fWAR for the season despite having a "down" year, which is pretty good.

crpav

also thinking about things, top three teams I dislike
Yankees, red sox, cubs.

the red sox have sale, cubs Q now.

thus I think the yankees somehow obtain abreu as he is the last tradable player that I really like and it would only be fitting if the three players I enjoyed watching play the most last year were on the three teams i dislike the most by the end of this year lol.

You just shut your mouth. Abreu better be kept forever...

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
When Acuna got promoted to AA, he hit a home run in his first PA. Today, in his first AAA PA, he struck out. Then he homered in his next one.

it's odd how people have completely forgotten about quintana's immense trade value because of a few mediocre months.

there was talk that he might cost just as much as a sale in the offseason because of his cheap control through 2020. cost controlled pitchers who are in their 20s and have a proven ability to survive the attrition and pitch 200 innings are extremely valuable.

it's a good package for the white sox, but i'm honestly pretty shocked that people can look at this from the cubs perspective and not thing "well, that makes things a lot easier for them". rotation was the pressing need, and we just got a very good long-term starter.

there's still so much prospect creep these days. people see teams like the astros and cubs who have built from within, and they get the idea that you just get some great hitting prospects and they'll be great players. for every kris bryant, there's a lot more jorge soler's.

i'm glad the stuff about the white sox being unwilling to trade him to the cubs was wrong. this trade made too much sense not to happen.

So were the prospects that were traded away for him.

I get that, as a Cub fan, you are predisposed to see this deal in the most positive light, but you must grant that the price paid for Quintana was steep, yeah?

it was basically the exact price everybody he has been known to have since this offseason. he's a very good pitcher with tons of cheap control, and an eloy+cease package for a pitcher like this has been speculated since even before this offseason, because lackey and arrieta were gone after this year no matter what.

Sure, have to take advantage while the window is open.

Still doesn't change the fact it was a very high price to pay.

my dude, this is a long-term move. its' not some quick fix. when the cubs chose to tank 5 years ago, they decided to completely avoid attempts at young pitching and focusez entirely on hitting. every top pick or big trade they made was for a hitter, not a pitcher. the plan all along was to develop hitting, and then sign or trade for starting pitching already deep into their 20s who have proven to be able to stay healthy. part of this was always going to be trading good hitting prospects for pitching. it was inevitable.

it's the anti-mets plan, and it's worked perfectly

If this comes to fruition then Theo is obviously some sort of baseball god.

I can see the Brewers falling off, but I don't see this cubs team even with Q beating a Dodgers or Astros.

a) any team who makes the playoffs has a great chance of winning it all. the dodgers/astros individual chances of winning it all will be only marginally better than the other 6 teams when the division series start.

b) this is a long-term move.

CygnusXS

Dude he's tearing up high A ball (he's doing fine). Didn't you see the ESPN top story about him hitting a walk off home run?

I mean, he's had 51 PA at the level. And he was mediocre at a lower level. And he's 29 and has never faced an advanced pitcher. There's a lot of reasons for skepticism.

I mean, he's had 51 PA at the level. And he was mediocre at a lower level. And he's 29 and has never faced an advanced pitcher. There's a lot of reasons for skepticism.
He'll never make the majors but that doesn't mean it's not still a slightly intriguing story. He is starting to do a little better with more plate appearances. More importantly for the minor league team, he's putting butts in the seats. What monkeys riding dogs can't do, Tim Tebow can.

CygnusXS

He'll never make the majors but that doesn't mean it's not still a slightly intriguing story. He is starting to do a little better with more plate appearances. More importantly for the minor league team, he's putting butts in the seats. What monkeys riding dogs can't do, Tim Tebow can.
This is the Mets we're talking about. They'd probably call Tebow up before they'd call up, say, Amed Rosario.

Any Nats or Dodgers fan want to propose a Britton trade? I want the Orioles to be sellers now. We need a proper rebuild.

Also if Red Sox/Yankees fans want to propose a trade for Machado, as much as that hurts my soul.........

Tebow probably could have been alright had he played baseball exclusively and not tried to put a giant square peg through a tiny round hole with football but alas.

We also most likely don't know who he is now (or he's an at best fringe major leaguer that only baseball diehards know) had he not played football, so fame/notoriety/money wise it's worked out for him

BumRush

Dude he's tearing up high A ball (he's doing fine). Didn't you see the ESPN top story about him hitting a walk off home run?

They interviewed Conforto a couple of days ago who said that Tebow is a completely different player than he was in Spring Training (Conforto played with his down on a rehab assignment). I'm skeptical that he'll ever make it to the bigs but, holy shit, that'd be an awesome story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom