• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
liking a-rod should be a perma-bannable offense
4b974d376f0ed5b4a872c4fea99868e9.jpg
Rip Mark4lyfe

I take it we on all star break mode too? Page 3

1st half season awards

NL

MVP- Arenado
CY- Kersh(I would of gave the nod to Max also)
Rookie- Dashing Cody (Kyle Freeland very close)
Manager- either Bud Black or Counsell

AL

MVP- Altuve
CY- Sale
Rookie- Judge
Manager- Hinch

Who's yours?

BFIB

Cards are gonna get their 3 hole hitter, a BP arm and have the best second half in the league.

Devil Magic Returns!

Tall4Life

1st half season awards

NL

MVP- Arenado

AL

MVP- Altuve
CY- Sale
Rookie- Judge
Manager- Hinch

Who's yours?
NL whatevers -- who cares

AL-
MVP - Pablo Sandoval
CY - Craig Kimbrel
Rookie - David Ortiz (he still plays, right?)
Manager - Mariano Rivera

Ken Rosenthal ✔ @Ken_Rosenthal
As I wait to find a new writing home (hopefully soon), I will post stories on my Facebook page. First story tonight. You guys be my editors.

Because FoxSports is going to all video content on its website, Ken will no longer be able to publish his stories on there.

Bummer but he's one of the best in the biz. Someone will give him a writing platform

Lunar FC

1st half season awards

NL

MVP- Arenado

AL

MVP- Altuve
CY- Sale
Rookie- Judge
Manager- Hinch

Who's yours?

It is going to take a blood sacrifice
and wild card birth
for them to give it to Arenado.

Malo

Banned

1st half season awards

NL

MVP- Arenado

AL

MVP- Altuve
CY- Sale
Rookie- Judge
Manager- Hinch

Who's yours?
Altuve hasn't even been the best player on his own team.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Ken Rosenthal ✔ @Ken_Rosenthal
As I wait to find a new writing home (hopefully soon), I will post stories on my Facebook page. First story tonight. You guys be my editors.

Because FoxSports is going to all video content on its website, Ken will no longer be able to publish his stories on there.

Bummer but he's one of the best in the biz. Someone will give him a writing platform
What a disgrace. Rosie is *the guy* you want to have.

zulux21

But with you guys barely pushing .500 ball it's going to be hard to give it to him

meh I would give MVP to the best player, and if judge can do in the second half what he did in the first half I don't think anyone but him could get it. (well a touch more to round out numbers nicely :p)

or are you really saying that someone could compete with someone that hit .330 (.450 on base) with 60 home runs and 130 RBI

and I mean as it stands it's not like the yankees are an unlikely pick for the wild card. and if they make it to the wild card no doubt it would be because of judge.

judge still has over a full win on altuve. judge's k% is going to catch up to him at some point, but he's still obviously been far and away the best player so far

also arenado is barely in the top 10 for NL fWAR

But with you guys barely pushing .500 ball it's going to be hard to give it to him

it's the award for most valuable player in the league, not the most valuable player who is lucky enough to be on a good team

and anyways you could just argue that the astros would still have a massive lead in the division without altuve. the yankees would be nowhere without judge

Tall4Life

What does the team's record have to do with an individual award?

at least in basketball it's historically been that the MVP comes from a team with a great W/L record for the season

im new to baseball so I don't know if it's similar there too

I think it should be ultimately irrelevant in deciding the MVP but im just sayin

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Sounds like Acuna to AAA and Austin Riley to AA. Nice.
The hell is wRC+? What are all these new stats?
Weighted Runs Created

all encompassing batting stat. 100 is mlb avg.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/wrc/

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=17,d

Judge is leading the mlb at 197 wRC+. Aka he has created 97% more runs than the mlb avg postion player.

Justin Turner is at 183, but not enough qualified PAs. (Trout and Freeman are higher than Judge but they missed a lot of time).

highest wRC+ season ever, barry bonds 2002. 244 wRC+ (.370/.582/.799) Babe Ruth 1920 at 239 wRC+ is 2nd.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=18,d

Highest season since Barry Bonds retired is Harper in 2015 at 197 wRC+ same as Judge this season.

Here is the leaderboard of the last 10 years

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=18,d

rando14

I agree with Malo, MVP right now is Judge. I still think Trout could ultimately end up with a better year from an advanced stats perspective, but he's missed so much time I'm sure the writers will hold it against him.

Judge has gotten so much love it would probably be in the MLB's best interest he win it regardless. And if he ends up at 7+ wins he'd definitely deserve it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
We have officially run out of names for sports teams. Here are the finalists for the renaming of the braves AAA team
The final six options are:

• Gwinnett Buttons

The Buttons honor Gwinnett County’s namesake, Button Gwinnett, signer of the Declaration of Independence.

• Gwinnett Big Mouths

Named after the state fish of Georgia, the largemouth bass, it is a tribute to bass fishing on Lake Lanier.

• Gwinnett Gobblers

The Gobblers celebrates the outdoors, hunting and eating all the foods we love.

• Gwinnett Hush Puppies

The club’s tidbit on this name — “Our stealthy hunting dog is sneaking through the weeds, about to rustle up some ducks. But don’t think we’re all that serious. You can expect a “corny” fan experience at the “Puppies” game!”

• Gwinnett Lambchops

A chop off the old block, the Lambchops marries the region’s love of home cooking with the Tomahawk Chop of the Atlanta Braves.

• Gwinnett Sweet Teas

The Sweet Teas celebrate the laid-back lifestyle of Gwinnett County while displaying a real sweet look.
http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sp...cle_9b62a086-6758-11e7-8197-275ed5603d30.html

BumRush

If Trout comes back next week and continues to do exactly what he's done for the last 3 months and Judge regresses a tad, it's going to be an amazing race.

Choomp

Banned
From White Sox twitter

#WhiteSox have acquired OF Eloy Jiménez, RHP Dylan Cease, 1B Matt Rose & INF Bryant Flete from the Cubs in exchange for LHP José Quintana.

Wow wow wow

Sweet jesus that's a hell of a haul for the Sox.

White Sox, World Series Champions of 2020. Book it.

As for AL MVP, it's Judge. He leads in WAR, OBP, SLG, OPS, total bases, HR, Walks, OPS+, RC... I mean there's no real argument against him.

BFIB

From White Sox twitter

#WhiteSox have acquired OF Eloy Jiménez, RHP Dylan Cease, 1B Matt Rose & INF Bryant Flete from the Cubs in exchange for LHP José Quintana.

Wow wow wow
Holy shit. Even if the Cards can get one elite prospect for Lynn, they need to do it.

Insane.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He's signed through 2020 at a really cheap price. I'm not surprised the haul is a lot. There was no reason for the White Sox to trade him now unless the haul justified it. I'm still surprised they traded him though.

Rays have been pretty adamant about not trading Archer but hes on an even more team friendly deal than Quintana so the haul would be that much more.

Malo

Banned
Quintana hasn't been great this year either. This sets the trade market for pitching at an... interesting level.
I was hoping to the Yankees could land Quintana for a package centered around Frazier, so much for that.

Beane is salivating at what he could get for Gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom