• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Quintana hasn't been great this year either. This sets the trade market for pitching at an... interesting level.

Yup, can't imagine what someone is going to ask from the Astros when they inquiring about pitching now. Unless it's some back-end starter.

Luhnow would be an idiot if he trades Kyle Tucker.

Now if we can DFA John Lackey's awful ass I will consider this a win

pezgM.gif

Chris R

From White Sox twitter

#WhiteSox have acquired OF Eloy Jiménez, RHP Dylan Cease, 1B Matt Rose & INF Bryant Flete from the Cubs in exchange for LHP José Quintana.

Wow wow wow

Sweet, now the Mariners get to be bodied by some nobody from AAA instead of being bodied by Quintana on Sunday.

Velcro Fly

Also when you consider Lackey and Arrieta are both on contract years and both likely not coming back, trading for a guy you have control of until 2020 isn't a bad thing. This is about more than just this year's race.

BFIB

I just want to thank Theo for unloading the farm. Sure helps keep things interesting for the Cards since we would be on an episode of hoarders when it comes to prospects.

Friggz

also this move means the yankees have to move pineda while they can get something for him (if anything). they arent resigning him so it makes no sense to lose him to free agency.

Reds trade Cozart for a lot of good shit.
Just have Votto and Bailey as the veterans and have everyone in their mid 20s.
We aim for division title again next year.

Beckx

Per Baseball Prospectus, Sox have 5 of BP's top 50 prospects now. Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, Hansen and now Jimenez

Yup, can't imagine what someone is going to ask from the Astros when they inquiring about pitching now. Unless it's some back-end starter.

luckily the Cards have the inside line on what to ask you for!

Malo

Banned
Baseball America's Top 100 Prospect List (midseason update), the White Sox have:

No. 1 Yoan Moncada
No. 5 Eloy Jimenez
No. 20 Michael Kopech
No. 45 Luis Robert
No. 59 Reynaldo Lopez
No. 75 Lucas Giolito
No. 83 Dylan Cease

Not bad.

zulux21

Quintana hasn't been great this year either. This sets the trade market for pitching at an... interesting level.

he hasn't been great this year, but he has been great the last few years, and great for the last month and a half.

really his numbers look a lot worse than they are. he got off to a slightly bad start and then the end of may got rocked twice in a row. He has been his normal self since then, has no injury history, and is cheap for the next few years.

I have a feeling Dylan Cease is going to be the highlight of the trade for the white sox and I really don't give Eloy Jimenez much of a chance to become an impact player with the white sox. He is the type of player they never can get to produce in the majors but we will see. I mean we can't rule out the white sox trading some of their prospects for other prospects on other teams either, but that would more likely be a winter trade if it happened.

As for those who are worried about the pitching trade market being crazy. There is a decent chance the cubs paid extra to get the trade done just because of the rival thing. Even if they didn't other teams will likely view it that way and the market shouldn't be that crazy. but who knows it's also a pretty weak trade market for starting pitching right now.

White Sox fans probably jerk off daily at the thought of their farm system.

I know I would.

I am excited to have a good farm, but also don't have much faith in the white sox farm to produce anything that isn't a pitcher. The number of players that have come up to make an allstar game through the white sox system in my lifetime is very low. Most of the players that are young impact position players in the white sox last 20 years went through another team's farm system first and only spent a few months in the white sox system after their September call up the year before.

Tim anderson is the only notable player who debuted with the white sox off the top of my head http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/anderti01.shtml and he isn't very impressive this year either :p

The SP trade market is possibly crazier than the reliever market from the last year or two.

Pineda has to get flipped now for pieces.

I'd love it if the Yankees made a deal for SP, but they'll get held up at gunpoint right now. Also, I don't want to trade Frazier...I think he's going to be legit too. Hicks?

zulux21

I do wonder how the reliever market will go and who the white sox will get for Anthony Swarzak and David Robertson

I am also curious if the white sox truly believe Avisaíl García has finally become the player they expected when they traded for him. or if the first half of the season is just a fluke and they should trade him while his value is high. (I am thinking a little of both. He looks much better in form than previous years, and the confidence he has now is no joke he very well could be a good player from here on out but likely not as good as he has been)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
From White Sox twitter

#WhiteSox have acquired OF Eloy Jiménez, RHP Dylan Cease, 1B Matt Rose & INF Bryant Flete from the Cubs in exchange for LHP José Quintana.

Wow wow wow
thats.....a lot. then again, quintana is under contract for a while. Jimenez may end up being the only valuable piece to the white sox though.

HawkeyeIC

So were the prospects that were traded away for him.

I get that, as a Cub fan, you are predisposed to see this deal in the most positive light, but you must grant that the price paid for Quintana was steep, yeah?

Cubs need pitching now and especially next year, not prospects. Take the proven guy every time.

Sad to see Quintana go. He's not only a great pitcher but also appears to be a great guy off the field.

The prospect return sure is intriguing though.

The deal is honestly pretty fair for both sides. Doesn't even compare to the Chapman deal at the deadline last year in terms of overpay.

Quintana is about as durable and reliable a left-hander as you can find and Cubs have got him cheap for three and a half years. But they basically have no farm now, which matters less because of the young talent they already have at the major league level. All four other division teams have strong farms, though, so we'll see if the Cubs can build up a farm without getting high draft picks.

zulux21

thats.....a lot. then again, quintana is under contract for a while. Jimenez may end up being the only valuable piece to the white sox though.

given the pitching depth the white sox have I could see Dylan Cease having little personal value to the white sox. but quality pitching is always great to have to trade away.

Minor-league first baseman Garrett Cooper in the swap.

*looks up both players*

I deem the yankees the winners.

zulux21

I'm going to be curious to see how people feel about the trade after the cubs win their second world series in a row with Q being steady and helping them get through the playoffs.

I expect the brewers to falter and the cubs to start to turn it around and get hot down the stretch to pass the brewers and make it to the playoffs where they just get super hot and dominate.

Drey1082

I'm going to be curious to see how people feel about the trade after the cubs win their second world series in a row with Q being steady and helping them get through the playoffs.

I expect the brewers to falter and the cubs to start to turn it around and get hot down the stretch to pass the brewers and make it to the playoffs where they just get super hot and dominate.

If this comes to fruition then Theo is obviously some sort of baseball god.

I can see the Brewers falling off, but I don't see this cubs team even with Q beating a Dodgers or Astros.

zulux21

If this comes to fruition then Theo is obviously some sort of baseball god.

I can see the Brewers falling off, but I don't see this cubs team even with Q beating a Dodgers or Astros.

I don't see why not, they aren't that different from last year's team.
they were still expected to dominate this year.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they were not done trading.

beyond that though.... playoffs in general are a crapshot. all they have to do is get there then it really is anyone's chance.

zulux21

We got a 1B!

you got a 1b who is a career .300+ hitter (in the minors), who seems to have found his power this year and is batting .366 over 300+ at bats this year with 17 home runs for a replacement level reliever.

I really don't know what milwaukee was thinking.

I also don't get why the yankees fans on mlbtraderumors in general seem down on this trade.

there are plenty of solid relievers on the market in general (heck the white sox have a number of them that wouldn't be super expensive) this was a solid trade and the yankees can make more.

Both the Cubs and Sox are now closer to another world series. Quintana's a terrific value for a legit #2 starter, which the Cubs desperately need, especially since their lineup is in flux and their position players are still young and can return to form.

I cannot wait to see how all these prospects pan out for the Sox. Hopefully by 2019 we'll see them become the next Astros.

zulux21

Can't wait to see how many more prospects Dodgy Dave adds to the White Sox's farm for Todd Frazier now

I haven't a clue what todd frazier will get the white sox.

the age of high power low batting average is okay seems to be over. that being said he has been hitting better recently, is still a decent defensive third baseman and is a real power threat so I imagine some team will want him.

BFIB

Both the Cubs and Sox are now closer to another world series. Quintana's a terrific value for a legit #2 starter, which the Cubs desperately need, especially since their lineup is in flux and their position players are still young and can return to form.

I cannot wait to see how all these prospects pan out for the Sox. Hopefully by 2019 we'll see them become the next Astros.
At least we know who to hack next.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm deeply offended by this
MLB Pipeline ‏Verified account
@MLBPipeline

Top 100 update soon, but now:
@WhiteSox: 1, 8, 11, 23, 28, 36, 59, 63, 68
@Braves: 7, 24, 43, 63, 67, 73, 86, 89, 98

zulux21

Rangers looking to move Darvish and Hamels??? Wow...

well the division is out of reach and the wild card is hotly contested if they access that it's unlikely they will make a run for it Darvish is a no brainier to trade since he will get a nice return and they are losing him at the end of the year anyways.

I'm deeply offended by this

why are you offended by this?

also are you going to be sad if the white sox get another top 100 prospect or two, as they do still have some decent trade chips left.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
As a White Sox fan, I thought it was a good trade for both sides. Quintana has been great for the past few years, but they need more bats in their farm system. And the Cubs already have more position players than they know what to do with. I'm hoping Jose pitches well for them and they give him some run support for the love of God.

bebop242

Color me surprised regarding the Sox/Cubs trade. Was just talking to a coworker last night on how they are hardly ever trade partners.

On the surface I like this deal. That 4+ ERA kinda bothers me but I haven't seen him pitch much lately. Still, I'm glad they did it since it helps with thier biggest need. I feel they need another piece to spark the lineup though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom