• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with this trade, the Yankees have three awesome catching prospects. Sanchez, Romine, and Murphy. I think its a good trade for Yanks for sure.

I'd be surprised if it isn't basically a straight up trade, they're pretty much equal in value, imo.

Hence my surprise at the mention of a package.

I really wonder what Jack Z knows that the rest of us don't. 6'7" power pitchers don't exactly grow on trees.

Brinbe

Wow, that's just not fair... damn Yanks =(

And yeah, personally, I'd value Pineda a lot more than Montero. But we'll see what else, if anything, is included in the deal.

Heyman says the Yankees originally offered Montero, Banuelos, Betances, and two more players for Felix. Zduriencik said Felix was untouchable everytime. It turned into the Mariners sending Pineda and other players to NY for Montero.

Macattk15

Montero AND Smoak! Least I won't be able to hear shit anymore!

I'm pretty fucking sad we lose Pineda though. I really really like him.

Malo

Banned
I have no idea what to think of this trade. On one hand we get a good young cost controled pitcher, but I really like Jesús. He could have been a middle of the order bat for years especially with Jeter, arod and Teix in their mid thirties. Pineda out of safeco scares me a bit.

Edit: We gave up noesi as well? Great. I don't know much about Campos. Can Mariners' fans tell me about him.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I really like this deal for the Yankees.

The truth is A-Rod is going to have to move to DH much sooner rather than later. The Yankees also have a couple other players who could use regular playing time at DH. They free up the DH spot and also happen to get one of the best young pitchers in baseball.

Macattk15

I have no idea what to think of this trade. On one hand we get a good young cost controled pitcher, but I really like Jesús. He could have been a middle of the order bat for years especially with Jeter, arod and Teix in their mid thirties. Pineda out of safeco scares me a bit.

Yeah I'd be a bit worried about him outside of Safeco as well ... but he is still nasty. I have a feeling Campos will be good also ... he is only 19, but doesn't walk many and still strikes out a good amount.

Also Pineda's shoulder / elbow could explode .... he has had troubles in the minors before.

jman2050

Yeah I'd be a bit worried about him outside of Safeco as well ... but he is still nasty. I have a feeling Campos will be good also ... he is only 19, but doesn't walk many and still strikes out a good amount.

Pineda is a strikeout pitcher with tons of upside. Giving up Jesus for him hurts but if he comes close to hitting his projections this will have been a good trade overall.

As an Mariners fan, I actually really like this deal.

The optimist in me tells me that this will be one of those rare deals that works out extremely well for both teams. Here's to hoping the new parks don't have too much of an effect on both players.

I hope they let Montero catch. It HONESTLY cannot be worse than Miguel fucking Olivo.

THIS. I fear they'll keep him as a DH but I'd love to at least see them continue to try him at catcher.

LJ11

So they didn't like Montero enough to trade a pitcher who was hitting FA, but did like him enough to trade a young affordable pitcher. Makes sense.

jman2050

Tweets poppin' out that Nova might be involved in that Pineda trade.

@ProspectInsider
Jason A. Churchill
1 east coast source tells me nova may be in the deal, and that this doesn't necessarily mean the mariners are out on prince fielder

On the other hand, there's this

https://twitter.com/#!/YankeesWFAN/status/157996432941514752

@YankeesWFAN Sweeny Murti
Was told SEA wanted Nova instead of Noesi but Yanks wouldn't give. SEA eventually agreed on Noesi.

Nona and Noesi? keeps getting better for the M's.
o ok if Nova stays, seems like AJ is as good as out. If Hughes' velocity doesn't magically disappear of course.

jman2050

Oh Bill Simmons I love watching you squirm.

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
Have Pineda in League of Dorks. Love that guy. Losing Safeco hurts but better bats + great crowd + doesn't have to be perfect every start.
14 minutes ago

I can't even type.
23 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

The Montero-Pineda trade almost made me head just explode.
25 minutes ago

Puddles

Banned
Jesus Christ, fuck McCourt and Colletti. Couldn't even shell out the money to keep our own guy.

Kuroda was a class act and an extremely underrated pitcher, and if his physical skills hold up for another year, he'll be a great addition to the Yankees.

But seriously, fuck McCourt. We should have extended Kuroda months ago.

Malo

Banned
So much for the yankees having a quiet off-season. We went from having a potentially crappy rotation to a good one(if no one gets injured) within an hour.

Please kill Aj now.

Sanjuro

Jesus Christ, fuck McCourt and Colletti. Couldn't even shell out the money to keep our own guy.

Kuroda was a class act and an extremely underrated pitcher, and if his physical skills hold up for another year, he'll be a great addition to the Yankees.

But seriously, fuck McCourt. We should have extended Kuroda months ago.

What does any of that matter? Dodgers are in disaster mode. Unless he was willing to accept $2-3 million to stay there it would be a waste.

Why did we have to throw in Campos for crap like Noesi?

This boggles my mind.

Noesi isnt crap but I see where ur coming from. I've read that Campos has a very high ceiling and that at such an early age he's already striking out a lot of batters without walking much.

bluemax

Banned
Man I hope Hultzen and Paxton are ready sooner rather than later this rotation:

Felix!
Vargas
Iwakuma
Beavan
Furbush

does not excite me.

Noesi isnt crap but I see where ur coming from. I've read that Campos has a very high ceiling and that at such an early age he's already striking out a lot of batters without walking much.

He's a crappier Ivan Nova and Campos is a guy whose ceiling is ridiculously high right now. The Mariners traded a guy who has already performed as a starter at the MLB level and a high ceiling pitching prospect for a DH who posted an .843 OPS at AAA and a dude who is at best a back end starter.

I feel ripped off a little.

clemenx

Banned
Good shit by Cashman today. He wasn't gonna strike lighting again with something like Colon/Garcia working for a full season lol.

Malo

Banned
Man I hope Hultzen and Paxton are ready sooner rather than later this rotation:

Felix!
Vargas
Iwakuma
Beavan
Furbush

does not excite me.

He's a crappier Ivan Nova and Campos is a guy whose ceiling is ridiculously high right now. The Mariners traded a guy who has already performed as a starter at the MLB level and a high ceiling pitching prospect for a DH who posted an .843 OPS at AAA and a dude who is at best a back end starter.

I feel ripped off a little.
Noesi has better stuff and a higher ceiling than Nova. He can be a middle of the rotation starter if he reaches that ceiling.

Fatalah

EDIT - Sabathia/Pineda/Kuroda/Nova/AJ-Hughes-Whatever

I will absolutely take that.

Don't forget, the Yankees signed Freddy Garcia to a one year deal -- which he deserved. After tonights, it looks like Burnett is being moved.

I could see Hughes being stationed to the bullpen, with his shaky performance the last season and a half.

Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom