• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Aw67u.jpg

Chipper Jones is 45 walks away from joining the 1,500 walk club. He will be just the 18th player to accomplish this feat. For comparisons sake, 28 players have 3,000 hits.

Only 11 players in MLB history have more than 1,500 walks and less than 1,500 strikeouts. With just 1,358 strikeouts, Chipper can join this group by season’s end.

With a minimum of 1,600 plate appearances, the only players to ever have an OPS+ of 165 or greater during their age 34-36 seasons combined are Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Chipper Jones, Tris Speaker, and Honus Wagner.

In Chipper’s age 36 season he hit .364 and had an OBP of .470, making him only the fifth player in MLB history to reach those plateaus in a single season at age 36 or higher. The others are Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, and Tris Speaker. Each of them have done this just once.

Chipper has reached base 4,087 times. He is one of only 43 players to reach base 4,000 times (does not include reached on errors), and currently ranks 36th.

Chipper is one of seven players in MLB history to have a line of .300/.400/.500 or better in over 10,000 plate appearances. The others are Babe Ruth, Frank Thomas, Mel Ott, Stan Musial, Ty Cobb, and Tris Speaker.

Only nine players compiled a line of .300/.400/.500 in their age 30-39 seasons, minimum 5,000 plate appearances. Chipper is one of them. The others are Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Manny Ramirez, Stan Musial, Edgar Martinez, Ken Williams, Tris Speaker, and Ty Cobb.
Chipper is one of fifteen players to hit over 200 homers and bat over .300 during throughout his 30′s.

Chipper is one of thirteen players to hit over 200 homers and have an OBP over .400 throughout his 30′s.

Chipper’s OPS+ of 142 in his 30′s ranks 17th all-time. His OPS of .925 over that span ranks 13th all-time.

Chipper’s bWAR of 44.4 in his 30′s ranks 20th all-time.

If Chipper nets 200 total bases this season (had 214 in ’11), he will be ranked 28th on the all-time list. He is currently ranked 40th at 4,579 total bases.
http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=5211

Sanjuro

Agreed. You become interested in more interesting flavors, like sriracha.

Sausage King at Fenway has always had the sriracha sauce. Since I was a kid, I always saw the bottle at the back end of the grill. Took the plunge when I was about nine or so...never went back.

RpUva.jpg

Load that sucker full of sriracha and you have my favorite sandwich in the world in hand. That was one of the things that disappointed me about going to Yankee Stadium was the food. Unless it changed with the new ballpark, you couldn't find fresh unsalted peanuts or hot italian sausage anywhere outside the stadium.

Opiate

I looked at his last few posts and couldn't figure it out.

Three posts in quick succession did him in, but he's been a poor poster for some time now. This is not his first ban, or his second, or his third. Or even sixth.

GIF-only reply; non-constructive post. This is the equivalent of responding with nothing but a LOL smiley.

And then he did it again.

Lastly, he made a post that he edited, but didn't edit fast enough. Here is what he said, as captured by another poster.

Apparently he realized this was an awful post, as he tried to remove it by editing it out. Too late. Not only did I see it, but other people quoted it. To put that post in context, many female members were complaining about sexism and misogyny; that was Frankman's reply. Essentially, "Too bad, the world can be a terrible place, deal with it."

So I did deal with it.

I know I'm in b-ball mode, but I can't help but to be geeked for the start of the next season.

Seeing Pujols in Angels colors is going to make me shed a tear on Opening Day, isn't it?

albert-pujols-anaheim-angels-stadium-e1323613879315.png

NateDrake

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what do you mean exactly?

Pitching for NY isn't like pitching for the Mariners. You have to deliver strong performances religiously while playing for the Yankees. Being good on a shitty team doesn't mean he can play well under the pressure of being in NY.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Seeing Pujols in Angels colors is going to make me shed a tear on Opening Day, isn't it?

he has always been in angel colors. you could easily say he is wearing a cardinals uniform in that image and nobody would notice.

I know I'm in b-ball mode, but I can't help but to be geeked for the start of the next season.

i feel ya, brother.
i've been an angel fan since the first 7days of creation.

oh, and the obligatory lol doyers.

bluemax

Banned
Can you guys not drag your feud with Opiate into here? The only discussions involving baseball and emotionless robots I want to have is about replacing umpires.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
If only there was a way to ban Frankman from posting in any part of GAF that isn't MLB-Age. It's not safe for him out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom