• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the Canes game yesterday with a buddy. He works with some redneck mechanic, who told him "I can see why you'd like hockey: Bunch of white guys smacking a small black thing with a stick."

Every day my opinion of America goes down!

Stuff like that only happens in America:

4427377231_c84bc76cba_o.jpg

eznark

Banned
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/140313003.html

Reporting four days later than the rest of the Brewers' pitchers and catchers, there had been some speculation that perhaps Rodriguez was unhappy returning to the team and reprising his role as a setup man to closer John Axford even though he willingly accepted arbitration.

Not so, says Rodriguez.

"Not at all," said Rodriguez, who reported late because he was tending to a personal issue back home in Venezuela.

"I’m really honored and happy to be here, trust me. If I did not feel comfortable at all last year, or I didn’t like the city, trust me – we’d go our separate ways. But the way they made me feel made my decision a lot easier, and I’m here once again."

Rodriguez was acquired by the Brewers in a trade over the all-star break last year, and went on with Axford to form one of the best back ends of any bullpen in baseball. He went 4-0 with a 1.86 earned-run average in 31 games with the Brewers, tying the National League lead with 17 holds in the second half.

Oh my God, hahahahaha, he missed the start of camp to help attend to family matters!!! WHAT A CLUBHOUSE CANCER THIS GUY IS!!! He even loves the city? OMGLOL BREWERSAMIMPLODE

andthebeatgoeson

I hope he's not guilty because if he is, the way he's fighting against this, nobody will ever believe players. He sounds not guilty.

But I believe him and I feel bad for him.

Talon

It's very, very difficult for a defamation suit to stick in the United States. Little thing called "prior restraint."

Meanwhile, in South Korea or Italy, you can basically throw anyone in jail that impugns your character, penis size, height, etc.

JambiBum

Can't. Fucking. Wait.

That is all I want to come out of this. Shit down the throat of the worst thing to ever happen to sports. I'd love it to be a Brewer that does it.

There are some good parts to ESPN but the entity as a whole can be a plague on sports at times. I'm watching the conference on MLBN just to avoid the wonderful taglines ESPN will end up using.

eznark

Banned
It's very, very difficult for a defamation suit to stick in the United States. Little thing called "prior restraint."

Meanwhile, in South Korea or Italy, you can basically throw anyone in jail that impugns your character, penis size, height, etc.

Don't care. I just want him to try. Imagine the line of athletes and individuals who will jump on board. It'd be beautiful.

Talon

There are some good parts to ESPN but the entity as a whole can be a plague on sports at times. I'm watching the conference on MLBN just to avoid the wonderful taglines ESPN will end up using.
I don't think you blame the entity itself.

It's the fact that a network hegemony that effectively acts as a monopoly in any field, much less Journalism, leads to abuse without much consequence.

See: cities that have become one paper towns. Baltimore Sun and the AJC have terrible editorial quality, sadly. Not much can be done about it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ESPN reported that Braun failed a drug test with extremely elevated levels of testerone. That is actually what exactly happened.

ESPN didn't break any confidentiality agreements by reporting what they reported. Braun might be innocent, I don't know and really don't care but to attack ESPN for this is something I find hilarious.

I hope he sues them. He's not going to win.

ESPN reported that Braun failed a drug test with extremely elevated levels of testerone. That is actually what exactly happened.

ESPN didn't break any confidentiality agreements by reporting what they reported. Braun might be innocent, I don't know and really don't care but to attack ESPN for this is something I find hilarious.

He's not going to sue anybody. He's trying to use the threat of suing them to make them talk nice about his speech and reputation. It's called 'the chilling effect.' Just listen to Krukky right now.

BFIB

Can't wait to see how ESPN spins this.

Will they be kissing his ass or dare they pull a "come at me bro".

All ESPN cares about is ratings and headlines. They won't back down now, they already have two reports up about the case. Of course they are pointing out left and right that the test was positive (which I'm sure it was), and that the process was accurate.

Braun should sue for Stewart Scott's lazy eye, as compensation for his lawsuit.

mjc

They had no right to share the results.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

They're a media organization. Why would they not report a substantiated report when given the information? It's not their duty nor responsibility to withhold that kind of information.

Braun should be pissed. I don't know what legal recourse he has but being mad at the organization that reported what was essentially completely correct is stupid.

BFIB

Doytch

Weeeee, let's talk about 'rights' in a sports thread. Yeah, they kind of did have every 'right.' You can argue about whether it's responsible journalism, and whether there's space for responsible journalism in today's marketplace, and whether readers should have to bear some of the blame for that, but yeah, they had the right.

And I hate ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom