• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Hart sounds pretty adamant that they knew exactly what had happened the entire time. Very odd. ESPN is clearly in the "Braun got off on a technicality" tank and MLB is pushing it as well. No other outlets to push the truth.

ESPN is in the "how can we keep this story going/save face" tank.

This is what Will Carrol has said:

“@injuryexpert: Repeatable result showed exactly how Braun's single test showed positive. Arbitrator agreed. Simple, isn't it?”

“@injuryexpert: The Braun decision was based on HOW the sample was corrupted. Panel was shown exactly what happened, why result was invalid.”

IF, and I mean IF, he is right, then this becomes really really interesting.

Can't wait to see what Braun says tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for Herpes, but I fully expect, as I always have, that he would be exonerated (well, he already technically is). He's good, but is he roid good?

bjb

Banned
I still think the evidence dictates he juiced. Then again, so did A-Roid, and that's pretty much a non story now (despite the fact he's awful without HGH).

Any future analysis now turns towards his demeanor and behavior post-appeal. Oh, and the massive decline in his production.

JambiBum

I still think the evidence dictates he juiced. Then again, so did A-Roid, and that's pretty much a non story now (despite the fact he's awful without HGH).

Any future analysis now turns towards his demeanor and behavior post-appeal. Oh, and the massive decline in his production.

I'm not even a brewers fan, if anything I just love seeing ez get his panties in a bunch for my own amusement, but how does the evidence dictate he juiced? He passed three other tests during the year, then the crazy shenanigans happens with the courier leaving the sample at his house, and suddenly he fails one. Doesn't make sense to me.

I remember hearing reports back when this came out that said the testosterone count in Braun's test was higher than double the highest test they have had in the history of testing. Then he demanded a second test a few days later and it was clean? There was deinitely something weird going on with that.

Is there a possibility the courier was an angry Cubs fan and fucked with it? :lol

BFIB

Brewers player rep Narveson told MLB.com that the team has had serious issues and concerns with their test collector for a long time and had previously complained to the league.

Dude with a grudge! Tester must have swapped Braun's cup with another, more testosterone filled specimen, like a horse or Hope Solo
Lmao at the Hope Solo statement. That dude is scary.

My thoughts exactly. Whatever, though. Doesn't affect me

Well, as a Brewers fan (and Braun owner in multiple keeper leagues) I'm deeply personally invested, and also rather happy. I hope when everyone has had their say, he's really, truly entirely exonerated. Anything short of that will probably leave some lingering flavor in my mouth.

Madtown_

I remember hearing reports back when this came out that said the testosterone count in Braun's test was higher than double the highest test they have had in the history of testing. Then he demanded a second test a few days later and it was clean? There was deinitely something weird going on with that.

More than triple any previous test, I believe. Definitely a little bit fishy.

I wonder what kind of press conference he'll have tomorrow.

cashman

Banned
Just watched some classic baseball movies recently to get the hype going. The Natural (of course), Major League, and Bull Durham.

It always gets me about these old movies that the big thing is always to win the pennant. Not the whole thing, just THE PENNANT. And it comes down to a one game playoff to do that even. Makes sense with The Natural, even though it's not winning the whole thing. Not really with Major League when the playoffs were split into dviisions.

Just a funny observation, and I'm pretty sure other baseball movies that escape me follow the same model. Winning the AL/NL pennant = everything. The whole thing? Ah fuck it, we don't give a shit.

I agree with this. World Series are highly overrated these days. It's all about dat pennant.

lucius

So their was some conspiracy to frame Braun into testing positive for steroids?

Please let's be serious here, I have nothing against the guy or Brewers, or him even playing but come on I don't care if he tested negative 10 times after the one positive, they are always coming up with better ways to mask a positive tests once you know for sure your are going to be tested.

He gets to play and I am sure he will deny it he ever took it they way Big Papi did and most people will just accept it not making too much of a big deal since he is a likable star like Ortiz.

alstein

Please let's be serious here, I have nothing against the guy or Brewers, or him even playing but come on I don't care if he tested negative 10 times after the one positive, they are always coming up with better ways to mask a positive tests once you know for sure your are going to be tested.

He gets to play and I am sure he will deny it he ever took it they way Big Papi did and most people will just accept it not making too much of a big deal since he is a likable star like Ortiz.

Braun would be one of the last guys I would suspect a conspiracy on, before this incident.

If they wanted to go after a Brewer- it would have been Fielder.

That said, I think him not getting suspended is going to hurt his perception more in the long term.

clemenx

Banned
The fucking protocol exists for a damn reason. Is it crazy to think that not following the protocol could alter the samples? Maybe, maybe not but the rule is fucking clear. I don't understand the need of people to blast and moralize Braun. He did nothing wrong here, yet people have their panties in a bunch about the issue. I don't give 2 shits about the Brewers either.

And MLB's position is fucking stupid.

eznark

Banned
I'm not even a brewers fan, if anything I just love seeing ez get his panties in a bunch for my own amusement, but how does the evidence dictate he juiced? He passed three other tests during the year, then the crazy shenanigans happens with the courier leaving the sample at his house, and suddenly he fails one. Doesn't make sense to me.

My panties are in a bunch? I haven't stopped smiling since this news broke and every few minutes I start dancing.

I am so damn furious!!!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone has said that (with any seriousness). The one test he failed after dozens of clean tests was handled improperly and left the proper chain of command. There is a reason those exist and a reason the league and union agree to the protocols.

If the piss sits, you must acquit.

alstein

And MLB's position is fucking stupid.

That's something we can agree on. It damaged Braun for no reason other then spite. It's not good business.

The only legit reason I can see is that they didn't want to look like they covered up for a popular (not anymore) star player, but they did nail Manny, so I think they're ok on this front.
I think the way MLB presented this, it was designed to damage his reputation worse then taking the actual suspension.

One theory: maybe Braun was right, but MLB wanted to send a message to other star players. Tests can be false- it does happen.

I do think MLB would love to see an unpopular star like A-Rod or Fielder get nailed so they can look tough.

My panties are in a bunch? I haven't stopped smiling since this news broke and every few minutes I start dancing.

I am so damn furious!!!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone has said that (with any seriousness). The one test he failed after dozens of clean tests was handled improperly and left the proper chain of command. There is a reason those exist and a reason the league and union agree to the protocols.

If the piss sits, you must acquit.

And you talk shit to patriots fans?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Patriots (and White Sox in 2005) were found guilty and punished. Braun was exonerated.

If you hate truth, justice and the American way that is your problem, pinko.
kC6AW.jpg

edit: lol @ "life is looking up" in that image

BFIB

Watched Ken Burns' baseball. I'm hyped for baseball like crazy now. I recommend it highly.

It is damn good. It makes me want a production crew to go team by team and do a documentary on the teams history. I would buy every single one of those.

eznark

Banned
Holy shit at Morneau

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...o-long/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“I don’t think there will be a career if it’s something I’m dealing with..I’m obviously not going to continue to mess around with this if it continues to be a problem. There comes a point where you can only torture yourself for so long … I continue to look for something positive, and look how far I’ve come in the last week or in the last month and just hope it continues to go well.”

Sounds a lot like Corey Koskie. Sad.

Doytch

Brahs, I gotta hit up the Czech embassy in DC in April so I figured I'd work it around some baseball. Already been to Natinals Park so skipping it, and am instead planning on watching the Jays@Orioles on Thursday 26th. And then I noticed that the Cubs are at the Phillies for 27-29, so now I'm thinking I might hit that on the Saturday. Cross two ballparks off the list in one trip!

So, Jon, Sanjuro (cause I remember you talking about Bodymo), Jangocube, others, I need shit to do/places to go. I don't give a rats ass about touristy stuff, I just like to walk around/shop/drink coffee/beer.

And yeah, if anyone hooks me up with good info, first beer's on me.

zulux21

I'm hoping like hell he can come back and play well, but it's not looking good. I'd much rather he have his health then he play baseball. Souhan is likely blowing things out of proportion (as he always does), but it definitely doesn't sound good.
The White Sox fan side of me would not be heart broken if he could not play well again... so many times has he made big hits against the Sox.

The baseball fan side of me though really hopes he can get 100% better and come back, as he was fun to watch bat... though I wouldn't mind if he came back to form with a different team :p

eznark

Banned
I hate the Twins, but watching Koskie and Matheny struggle with basically the same issues warms my frozen heart and I feel bad for him.

tc farks

Is there a possibility the courier was an angry Cubs fan and fucked with it? :lol

Regarding only the possibility of it being a Cubs fan, I would certainly doubt it. We know this team isn't doing shit this season. Braun playing 50 more games has no effect on the Cubs playoff chances. They're 0% to start with (not really 0).

The arbitrators voted 2-1 to overturn the suspension regarding the process by which the positive test was transported during chain of command. They did not rule that the test itself was incorrect.

Braun cheated, got caught, got off on a technicality. I don't know how Will Carroll can say the piss sitting around caused the test to be positive (from the post a little bit up, I haven't been reading anything directly). Unless he collected a bunch of non PED using people's piss and did some science. And passing a bunch of other tests doesn't mean the positive one needs to be questioned anymore that it is normally. With cycles and masking agents and knowing ahead of time when your test will be doesn't give any creedence to I was tested 25 times and got away with it...this positive one, no big deal. 25/26!

I don't really even care, the PED witch hunt has been a farce, it just makes me smirk when I read the comments he made afterwards. With his douche levels as high as they are, and I don't wish infectious diseases on anyone, but if he does have genital herpes then I'm going with some karmic justice being levied in this instance.

tc farks

There are a number of teams interested in Soler, but he could be the centerpiece of an intense competition between the Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs and Theo Epstein, who according to some reports was preparing to make a four-year, $26 million for Soler. The White Sox, Yankees, Marlins, Phillies and Astros are all among the clubs who have been reported to be in on Soler, but the Sox are prepared to make a major push.

This should be interesting.

Doytch

Sigh, I wish I could grow a glorious hillbilly goatee. That could pass for my brother in law though.
Was at the Canes game yesterday with a buddy. He works with some redneck mechanic, who told him "I can see why you'd like hockey: Bunch of white guys smacking a small black thing with a stick."

Every day my opinion of America goes down!

eznark

Banned
Was at the Canes game yesterday with a buddy. He works with some redneck mechanic, who told him "I can see why you'd like hockey: Bunch of white guys smacking a small black thing with a stick."

Every day my opinion of America goes down!

Well you're lucky. Canadians are basically like newborn puppies. No matter what they do they are just so damn adorable that no one would ever think ill of them. I mean, what's the worst they can do, send another Celine Dion our way?

Fucking Canadians. So god damn precious!! I just wanna pinch your cheeks, Doytch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom