• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Considering the Reds had an actual convicted cheater on their team for their last pennant run, he sure is judgy.

Lee Harvey Oswalt acted alone.
Oh! You're one of those. Haha, it all makes so much more sense. I'm surprised you don't think aliens tainted Braun's sample.

TheNatural

My Member!
Casual Reds fan confirmed

How am I casual?

The last time the Reds won the NL pennant was 1990. Pete Rose was gone by then, and I was all of 7 years old, so excuse me if I am unaware of some cheater on that team, because I've never heard of it.

If someone is counting 2010 as a "pennant" run, which it really wasn't, then they're talking about Volquez. In which I never defended him, and quite frankly, if his piece of shit ass was suspended the entire year the team would have been better for it. He was dog ass, didn't help the team at all, and I'm glad he's gone.

Teams pay the price for having cheaters on their rosters. What happens is you overpay for guys with inflated stats, and then after they get caught, the production drops drastically. Volquez is the eternal shame of our franchise. Not because he cheated... everyone cheats, but because he SUCKS FUCKING DICK AT BASEBALL. We traded, get this, Josh Hamilton for that fucker. Straight up! Looked like a great trade year one, and got worse and worse as Hamilton got better and better. This is why I'm optimistic on Latos. We all said "Well, We love Hamilton, but, he does get hurt a lot!" Maybe we can get some good karma on this one? Eh, who am I kidding? Latos=Volquez, Hamilton=Alonso.

BTW, I didn't know Hamilton had a relapse a few years ago... or I guess I just forgot. I don't know how you guys feel, but it smells like a trainwreck is on its way with that whole situation.

PS: I think the right decision has been made with Braun. Not only that, but I think he's innocent. Go figure!

Blearth

Banned
OTL on ESPN now talking about Broid.

Roid Braun?

lloyd.jpg

I still don't understand how a test can be more than triple the highest they've ever seen and then a few days later he can test totally clean. Something is amiss here.
I'm with you man. Triple time the highest? Guy should've had a crazy reaction or some massive muscle growth or something.

Doytch

My favourite part of this whole thing is how fast everyone needed to have an opinion, and how steadfastly they believed their interpretation of scattered bits of facts. Totally bunk. None of us know shit all. I find any strong reaction to this story laughable at best and sad at worst. Reds dude is the worst. Puts weekend warrior's Bautista-ran-over-my-dog shtick to shame.

I'm with you man. Triple time the highest? Guy should've had a crazy reaction or some massive muscle growth or something.

I was glad this happened, because UK had lost a heartbreaking game against Indiana, and it took some of the focus off of that amazing shot. In the end, nobody got hurt too bad. Braun will still get shit on the road, but it will fade by mid-season, I believe.

TheNatural

My Member!
Teams pay the price for having cheaters on their rosters. What happens is you overpay for guys with inflated stats, and then after they get caught, the production drops drastically. Volquez is the eternal shame of our franchise. Not because he cheated... everyone cheats, but because he SUCKS FUCKING DICK AT BASEBALL. We traded, get this, Josh Hamilton for that fucker. Straight up! Looked like a great trade year one, and got worse and worse as Hamilton got better and better. This is why I'm optimistic on Latos. We all said "Well, We love Hamilton, but, he does get hurt a lot!" Maybe we can get some good karma on this one? Eh, who am I kidding? Latos=Volquez, Hamilton=Alonso.

BTW, I didn't know Hamilton had a relapse a few years ago... or I guess I just forgot. I don't know how you guys feel, but it smells like a trainwreck is on its way with that whole situation.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's a shit deal now, but who would have thought the Reds staff would have got out of the trash heap of pitchers that were there at the time. Before he came on, we had Harang and Arroyo in 2007 and that was it. The other starters were Matt Belilse (lol), Kyle Lohse (lolol), and the revolving #5 starter wheel of shame with Bobby Livingston, Phil Dumatrait, Tom Shearn, worst player in NL history and worst contract in history Eric Milton, among others.

Yeah it sucks ass now looking back, but for who we had, the pitching had to be attempted to be upgraded.

And I don't know why that fuck needed PED's anyway. It's not like strength could help his perpetual inability to throw strikes.

BFIB

PS: I think the right decision has been made with Braun. Not only that, but I think he's innocent. Go figure!

I think I would have to name Cueto as the shame of that franchise. Bicycle kicking LaRue in the face during the dugout brawl in 2010, ending his career. Then after the game, getting his interpreter to answer the questions, yet smiles when asked about LaRue.

Hate that fucker.

cueto12.jpg

Hindsight is 20/20. It's a shit deal now, but who would have thought the Reds staff would have got out of the trash heap of pitchers that were there at the time. Before he came on, we had Harang and Arroyo in 2007 and that was it. The other starters were Matt Belilse (lol), Kyle Lohse (lolol), and the revolving #5 starter wheel of shame with Bobby Livingston, Phil Dumatrait, Tom Shearn, worst player in NL history and worst contract in history Eric Milton, among others.

Yeah it sucks ass now looking back, but for who we had, the pitching had to be attempted to be upgraded.

And I don't know why that fuck needed PED's anyway. It's not like strength could help his perpetual inability to throw strikes.

Adrolis Chapman was painful to watch live. He'd walk the bases loaded without a strike, and then go to the bench. UGH!

TheNatural

My Member!
I think I would have to name Cueto as the shame of that franchise. Bicycle kicking LaRue in the face during the dugout brawl in 2010, ending his career. Then after the game, getting his interpreter to answer the questions, yet smiles when asked about LaRue.

Hate that fucker.

cueto12.jpg

Maybe they should have thought about that before they bonuced the guy up against the foul net.

BFIB

Wat happened to La Rue?

During the Brawl, Cueto and LaRue were pinned up against the netting. Obviously tempers were flared, and Cueto took it upon himself to not stand and throw punches. Instead, he does his best Liu Kang impression and bicycle kicks LaRue in the back of the head and near his face.

LaRue suffered a concussion and post-concussion syndrome and had to retire.

Hate that fucker.

cueto12.jpg

It was unfortunate. He got pinned and panicked. I don't think the kick was as wrong as what you call his remorselessness about it.

I still have a fondness for former players, and LaRue shined from time to time. So, I do regret that happening. But, once again, Cueto cannot be the shame of the franchise, because he is an asshole. Every ballplayer is an asshole. But, he's good. So, we'll stay with him until he gets bad.

BFIB

Maybe they should have thought about that before they bonuced the guy up against the foul net.

Yep, sounds like a Dusty Baker team.

For the Cardinals though, probably the shame of our franchise is Big Mac. We can never give the fans back their fraudulent HR chase of '98.

tc farks

@VictorConte My opinion. Braun used testosterone. Urine & result are valid. Source claim "insanely high." Untrue. Only 20 to1 T/E ratio. Others 80 to 1

@VictorConte The test collector watched Braun pee in the container and it was sealed. Both A & B tested positive for testosterone plus CIR confirmation.

@VictorConte My Opinion. Braun's people are blowing smoke. Both A & B sample positive w/ CIR confirmation. MLB "flawed" technical policy will change soon

@VictorConte My opinion. Braun's positive drug test for testosterone was not overturned. Simply a procedure error was made by MLB. Braun tested positive

@VictorConte I believe fast acting testosterone use is rampant in MLB. Even 4 to 1 T/E ratio is easy to beat. CIR screening is needed on all samples

@VictorConte My opinion. Floyd Landis case like Braun case. A & B samples w/ elevated T/E ratio. CIR confirms "synthetic" testosterone. Lots of smoke

tc farks

And a sample from the less informed:

@ClayMatthews52

Happy for my friend Ryan Braun. EXONERATED by the TRUTH!!

Why you really happy Clay?

We don't know what to believe. You can only go on what you hear, and what your gut tells you happened. My gut says CLEAN, my heart says "Bu-dup, Bu-dup, Bu-bu-dup" (I have a benign murmur.)

ok that's enough Braun talk can we talk about RA Dickey, #1 starter for the Mets this season?

RA Dickey
Mike Pelfrey
Chris Capuano

who says no?

BFIB

As opposed to a LaRussa made team. What's the over/under on Carpenter's first tantrum this year? I hear the mounds maybe have been dropped by a millimeter, maybe he'll complain about that.

Hey! He's a happy guy!

Carpenter-gives-Cards-a-playoff-boost-GVFB0R2-x-large.jpg

Look how happy he is!

But yeah, he's probably sitting on his lawn chair yelling at clouds in Jupiter already.

TheNatural

My Member!
@VictorConte My opinion. Braun used testosterone. Urine & result are valid. Source claim "insanely high." Untrue. Only 20 to1 T/E ratio. Others 80 to 1

@VictorConte The test collector watched Braun pee in the container and it was sealed. Both A & B tested positive for testosterone plus CIR confirmation.

@VictorConte My Opinion. Braun's people are blowing smoke. Both A & B sample positive w/ CIR confirmation. MLB "flawed" technical policy will change soon

@VictorConte My opinion. Braun's positive drug test for testosterone was not overturned. Simply a procedure error was made by MLB. Braun tested positive

@VictorConte I believe fast acting testosterone use is rampant in MLB. Even 4 to 1 T/E ratio is easy to beat. CIR screening is needed on all samples

@VictorConte My opinion. Floyd Landis case like Braun case. A & B samples w/ elevated T/E ratio. CIR confirms "synthetic" testosterone. Lots of smoke

Yup, heard that several times on the radio today. It wasn't an insanely high range, it was completely within possible spikes for PEDs. Nothing about the test or the way it was handled was strange in any way outside of what the letter of the contract said regarding it being transported. How it was handled wouldn't have made a bit of difference in a ton of other industries or drug testing, it was just the fact that there was a certain way THIS contract wasn't satisfied. If it were you or I getting tested for dope or something in the same manner, the contract would have likely been different and it would have been perfectly allowable.

eznark

Banned
I love that you're quick to believe some random dude on the Internet that the tests were within normal range when all along everyone has gone along with the "insanely high" story.

Make sure to find only the facts that fit your agenda, dude.

TheNatural

My Member!
I love that you're quick to believe some random dude on the Internet that the tests were within normal range when all along everyone has gone along with the "insanely high" story.

Make sure to find only the facts that fit your agenda, dude.

I heard it on the Rome show today. A guy from Yahoo Sports was on saying it wasn't insanely high and totally within reason.

And you telling me to find facts that fit my agenda, I'm the one who heard this, and you don't back anything up you say with a link of anything. Give me a non Brewers slant to something being amiss with the test and I'll be more likely to believe it.

tc farks

We know synthetic testosterone does not just appear, no matter how long something is refrigerated.

The only possible scenario left is that the sample was actually tampered with. Heh.

eznark

Banned
I heard it on the Rome show today. A guy from Yahoo Sports was on saying it wasn't insanely high and totally within reason.

And you telling me to find facts that fit my agenda, I'm the one who heard this, and you don't back anything up you say with a link of anything. Give me a non Brewers slant to something being amiss with the test and I'll be more likely to believe it.

Considering everyone is using the same "sources" I'm simply telling you what has been said since right after this broke. Now one guy is changing the story. Forgive me for being skeptical.

Victor Conti, someone who would obviously have zero information about this, saying it's true is certainly not credible.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
We know synthetic testosterone does not just appear, no matter how long something is refrigerated.

The only possible scenario left is that the sample was actually tampered with. Heh.

The only possible scenario is that he got caught busted using and got off on a technicality.

tc farks

Here. The only possible explanation left for Braun to not have legitimately tested positive is one in which the sample was tampered with. Heh (no fucking chance).

Macattk15

Mariners playing first intrasquad game today ... I'll just leave this here.

"Brendan Ryan came up to start the fourth and greeted Oliver Perez with a homer to left that ties the game 1-1. Ryan didn't bother to round the bases, just returned to the dugout."

TheNatural

My Member!
Considering everyone is using the same "sources" I'm simply telling you what has been said since right after this broke. Now one guy is changing the story. Forgive me for being skeptical.

Victor Conti, someone who would obviously have zero information about this, saying it's true is certainly not credible.

A guy who knows all about what the tests are and how to get around them wouldn't have an idea?

It basically comes down to two things. Either you think that someone tampered with the urine, and by doing that, broke the seal, reapplied the seal, and forged the initials and other things on the seal itself, or someone testing itself fudged the results and he was set up - or they didn't and he took something.

All this trying to make it cloudy and saying "oh we can't know" stuff is just crap. It has to be one or the other. How it was handled played no factor in messed up results.The consensus I heard was he wasn't on roids on a fulltime basis or anything like that, but may have taken something that day to get a spike.

I mean, it's a pretty good risk to take, take some testosterone spiking supplement for a day and bet that day that you're not going to be randomly tested and get away with it. Out of the whole damn year, you do it a handful of times, chances are, you're not going to be tested on the exact day you got that spike.

Mariners playing first intrasquad game today ... I'll just leave this here.

"Brendan Ryan came up to start the fourth and greeted Oliver Perez with a homer to left that ties the game 1-1. Ryan didn't bother to round the bases, just returned to the dugout."

typical arrogant mariner. absolute classlessness. how can you do that to a guy that's done nothing but give it his all his whole career? pig.

eznark

Banned
A guy who knows all about what the tests are and how to get around them wouldn't have an idea?

It basically comes down to two things. Either you think that someone tampered with the urine, and by doing that, broke the seal, reapplied the seal, and forged the initials and other things on the seal itself, or someone testing itself fudged the results and he was set up - or they didn't and he took something.

All this trying to make it cloudy and saying "oh we can't know" stuff is just crap. It has to be one or the other. How it was handled played no factor in messed up results.The consensus I heard was he wasn't on roids on a fulltime basis or anything like that, but may have taken something that day to get a spike.

I mean, it's a pretty good risk to take, take some testosterone spiking supplement for a day and bet that day that you're not going to be randomly tested and get away with it. Out of the whole damn year, you do it a handful of times, chances are, you're not going to be tested on the exact day you got that spike.

Unfortunately in America we still care about (unless Barry calls you a terrorist) due process. As such, if the evidence is mishandled that evidence should be deemed inadmissible. From the start once MLB realized the samples were fouled, they should have demanded a retest. They sat unattended and unaccounted for for days. Anyone who thinks that is ok is a crazy person. None of us can know what happened in the interim. Thankfully, we live in a country where pure conjecture isn't enough to ruin someones life...generally.

Even if you are prepared to hang a guy on assumptions, the MLB (up until yesterday) was not, which is why they put into place the strict protocols and chain of command structure. Obviously if the sample was handled improperly the results of said sample should no longer be deemed relevant.

As for Conti, who gives a shit? If I ask a random courier what happened and he tells me that his fellow courier was probably stoned out of his mind (as couriers are wont to be) and accidentally drank the samples then replaced them with horse piss, do we automatically give his opinion credence? Hell, the courier probably isn't even a felon!

tc farks

It was widely known that players were getting tipped off before getting tested. With fast-acting testosterone this can make testing a cakewalk. Looks like Braun may have been a victim of not knowing his test date for once, or cycling at the worst time. 25/26.

The MLB has made it clear that they will go after anyone and everyone, so why not hit the NL MVP.*

*Matt Kemp was robbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom