• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say that. You said there it's no incentive for them which I think is false. Any drug testing facility associated with mlb is now making a ton of money versus 30 years ago. Are you staying that is not an incentive?
Are you implying that if over a certain period of time where little/no positive results came back, that the MLB would voluntarily stop testing to cut back on expenses? Or that MLB "needs" positive results to generate press and would switch labs if they didn't get the results they wanted?

I really don't see any reason the lab(s) would lose out financially to the point where tampering with specimens is the best way out. At this point, drug testing is the MLB's PR insurance against roiding players - we already know the media scrutinizes baseball more than other sports regarding this issue. If anything, tampering is more likely to get the lab's contract with MLB terminated than provide financial security.

alstein

We'll never know the truth.

One possible scenario:
the test came up false positive, because that happens .1% of the time. It's hard to prove such things, so his lawyer went for the technicality. It's better to be accused and suspected of cheating then convicted of cheating.

Braun's going to be tested hard the rest of his career, if he slumps like say, Heyward did last year, without a shoulder to blame it on, then I'll suspect something- otherwise I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt provided he tests clean the rest of his career.

rekameohs

Banned
Except that Robert Redford's character was totally juiced up to the max in The Natural. Hitting the ball up into the lights? Psh, time to check that piss.

It doesnt. What it shows is that the sample is useless. That The MLB refused to allow for a DNA test shows that baseball was convinced something was potentially wrong with the sample as well. All signs point to this being a farce that never should have gone as far as it did.
Probably because doing so would be the modern day equivalent of asking OJ to try on the glove? Any DNA fragments from Braun's peepee that went into the cup probably got degraded by the urea, especially if it was left sitting around for 48 hours. There's little reason why his DNA would still be there even if the sample was untouched. Doing the DNA test would lead the uneducated arbitrator to the wrong conclusion that the sample wasn't Braun's when such a test would reveal nothing.

newjeruse

I think this is MLB to all this, as well as ESPN.

Braun has made some powerful enemies. The good thing for him is that unlike other sports, the umpires are high quality and don't have to take crap from the owners.

I just hope he has an early-season slump right now.
I don't see it. He made a good-faith defense after testing positive. What else was he expected to do?

eznark

Banned
Probably because doing so would be the modern day equivalent of asking OJ to try on the glove? Any DNA fragments from Braun's peepee that went into the cup probably got degraded by the urea, especially if it was left sitting around for 48 hours. There's little reason why his DNA would still be there even if the sample was untouched. Doing the DNA test would lead the uneducated arbitrator to the wrong conclusion that the sample wasn't Braun's when such a test would reveal nothing.

So the urine was out of the chain of custody long enough that it could no longer be scientifically identified as being Brauns? Weird.

He's a witch! Burn him!!

That's why CoC protocols exist, to avoid this shit.

I guess it is possible that someone tainted Braun's sample, that the collector was some devious Cubs fan...it's more likely that he's just another baseball player who took something he shouldn't' have, only lucked out on a technicality. I agree with the suspension being thrown out because of it, but lets be honest, fans and the media have never needed "evidence beyond a reasonable doubt" to convict a player of cheating in the court of public opinion. To me Braun is in the same boat as all the other suspected users now.

Maxim726X

We'll never know the truth.

One possible scenario:
the test came up false positive, because that happens .1% of the time. It's hard to prove such things, so his lawyer went for the technicality. It's better to be accused and suspected of cheating then convicted of cheating.

Braun's going to be tested hard the rest of his career, if he slumps like say, Heyward did last year, without a shoulder to blame it on, then I'll suspect something- otherwise I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt provided he tests clean the rest of his career.

Yes, and Manny took hCG because he was worried about being pregnant.

Again, outlandish scenarios are always possible (i.e. someone pouring synthetic testosterone into Braun's sample)... In the same way that the Mets going 162-0 is possible. When there's smoke there's usually fire.

newjeruse

Not embarass MLB and ESPN by exposing their standards as a fraud and taking the suspension.

In other words, not defend himself and his reputation.
That's not a reasonable expectation and their standards were not exposed as fraudulent. Perhaps the process was exposed as being open to error, but that exists in any drug-testing program.

So the urine was out of the chain of custody long enough that it could no longer be scientifically identified as being Brauns? Weird.

He's a witch! Burn him!!

That's why CoC protocols exist, to avoid this shit.
Yeah, the MLB fucked up by not doing things by protocol. But I don't think The Natural or anybody else is arguing that Braun shouldn't have won his appeal. It just seems inconceivable to those us outside the state of Wisconsin that there's some grand conspiracy between the evil ESPN, the meddling lab techs, and the nefarious MLB to taint Braun's MVP/reputation.

And there's no scientific evidence to show that synthetic testosterone spontaneously generates in a sealed cup of urine (refrigerated or otherwise), so barring tampering...

After all of this all I can say is that I have no idea whether Braun doped or not. So unless he fails another test, or some other evidence comes out(ie, he is linked to a Balco type organization) I am going to consider him clean from here on out. Anyway, I don't follow the brewers that closely so I really did not have a dog in this hunt.

Sanjuro

It's official. Beer is banned in the Red Sox clubhouse.

LmeXJ.gif

MLB 2012: The Quest for Thirst Quenching.

John Sickel's Top 120 prospects list

1) Bryce Harper, OF, Washington Nationals
2) Matt Moore, LHP, Tampa Bay Rays
3) Mike Trout, OF, Los Angeles Angels
4) Yu Darvish, RHP, Texas Rangers
5) Jurickson Profar, SS, Texas Rangers

6) Shelby Miller, RHP, St. Louis Cardinals
7) Trevor Bauer, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks
8) Manny Machado, SS, Baltimore Orioles
9) Jesus Montero, C, Seattle Mariners
10) Julio Teheran, RHP, Atlanta Braves

Also, Joel Zumaya is already reporting elbow discomfort after throwing just 13 pitches and has been shut down. He will have a MRI Monday.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AL MVP: Evan Longoria
AL ROTY: Matt Moore
AL Cy Young: Matt Moore

NL MVP: Carlos Beltran
NL ROTY: Julio Teheran
NL Cy Young: Cliff Lee

These will be 100% accurate.

Enron

Banned
AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera
AL ROTY: Yu Darvish
AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez

NL MVP: Joey Votto
NL ROTY: Bryce Harper
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay

eznark

Banned
Aoki and Darvish gonna sweep ROTY for the Japanese.

My real prediction is that by the end of Spring Training Aoki will be starting in right and Hart will be at first.

Aoki and Darvish gonna sweep ROTY for the Japanese.

My real prediction is that by the end of Spring Training Aoki will be starting in right and Hart will be at first.

You got a solid ballplayer with Aoki. I watched him in Japan a lot, as he played for my favorite team. Breaks my heart he left Yakult for the Brewers, honestly. He's fast and doesn't strike out very often. I'd imagine, if he has a solid showing in Spring Training, he would be batting in the 2 spot. He made Josh Whitesell (formerly of the Diamondbacks) look like Joey Votto his first year with the team. I hope to see big things from him, just as long as his interests do not conflict with my own.

eznark

Banned
Honesty that prediction is more of a Gamel indictment than Aoki praise. I have no idea how he will fare against actual baseball pitchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom