• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle

Zumaya done for the year with torn UCL.

Also, water it wet and the sky is blue.

That is really sad. Even though he's a Twin I'll always have a soft spot for the guy. One of the most exciting pitchers for me to watch in the short blip he was healthy.

If we're doing predictions:

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera
AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander
AL Rookie of the Year: Michael Trout

NL MVP: Ryan Braun
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay
NL Rookie of the Year: I haven't paid enough attention to the rookie class to guess

RBH

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – It was bad enough that Chipper Jones had an epic sunburn that made merely swinging a bat at Thursday’s workout a bit painful.

But to add insult to his pain, the Braves veteran was greeted by a couple of teammates and his manager with … fat jokes.

“I’m also fat now, from what I hear,” Jones said, smiling as he winced while taking his jersey over his sunburned arms. “I’m a little worried, this is the first time I’ve ever been called fat.”

It happened after an Associated Press photo made the rounds on the Internet, which showed the 39-year-old third baseman walking in shorts and loose-fitting sleeveless T-shirt Sunday at Champion Stadium. As the photo was snapped, a breeze blew Jones’ shirt in such a manner that he appeared to have a large spare tire around his midsection.

An Atlanta TV station, along with bloggers and others across the country, ridiculed and ranted online about what looked in the photo to be a good 40 pounds of added weight. Which was surprising to those who’ve actually seen the 6-foot-4 player in person at spring training.

“Thing is, I’m seven pounds lighter than I’ve ever been in camp, and now I’m fat,” Jones said. “I weigh 226, 227. Usually I’m 235.”

That didn’t stop Brian McCann and other Braves from razzing him after Jones returned Thursday from two days of fishing. He hadn’t heard about the photo until he got back.

“Mac’s so happy now,” Jones said, “because [at Turner Field] every time that little kid from ‘Sandlot’ comes on [the video board] before we start the game – ‘play ball!’ – I say ‘Hey, Mac!’ That little chubby kid.”

As for his sunburn, Jones said the last time he had one as bad was the last time he went fishing. Asked about sunblock, he said the only time he ever uses it is on his lips.
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/02/23/sunburn-and-fat-jokes-rough-day-for-chipper/

“Mac’s so happy now,” Jones said, “because [at Turner Field] every time that little kid from ‘Sandlot’ comes on [the video board] before we start the game – ‘play ball!’ – I say ‘Hey, Mac!’ That little chubby kid.”

:lol :lol

I was laughing my ass off at people that thought Chipper was fat in that picture. If you looked under his left side, you could tell it was just the wind blowing towards him.

NL MVP: Andre Ethier
NL Cy Young: Matt Cain

AL MVP: Josh Hamilton
AL Cy Young: David Price

Comeback Player of the year: Jason Bay

D4tQR.jpg

eznark

Banned
Brewers have broken their previous record for tickets sold prior to the opener. Nothing fires up the base like beating a bum rap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom