• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
nemss said:
But Rasmus is a superstar! A superstar I tell you!

stare.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
oh shit, apparently there is a 5th year option for Madson as well. 13 mil. Wtf Phillies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so which is worse, this or howard's contract? I probably still have to go with howard, but this is just as laughable.

edit: actually, both of them were worth around the same this last season according to fWAR, so yeah...howard contract muuuuuuuccchhh worse.

The Madson deal reminds me of the Francisco Cordero deal the Reds were anchored to.

With the possible exception of Rivera, no reliever is worth that kind of money.

Sharp

Windu said:
so which is worse, this or howard's contract? I probably still have to go with howard, but this is just as laughable.

edit: actually, both of them were worth around the same this last season according to fWAR, so yeah...howard contract muuuuuuuccchhh worse.
Isn't it weird how those of us who know better still casually make the mistake of thinking of Howard as worth something anywhere close to his contract? Even though we objectively know that he's basically the equivalent of a good reliever?

Sanjuro

Doytch said:
So it's what, $57m for 5 years? For a 31-yr old? Jesus.

Real talk: give us Doc back. He wants to win a WS.
Real talk: How much is Alfredo Aceves worth now? $114m for 5 years? He was a better reliever than Madson and pitched about double the innings.

eznark

Banned
Sharp said:
Isn't it weird how those of us who know better still casually make the mistake of thinking of Howard as worth something anywhere close to his contract? Even though we objectively know that he's basically the equivalent of a good reliever?

I think it's fairly natural. I still have git reactions like: "man, stealing here would be nice." Nature v. nurture...or, math v. nurture. If you played baseball, it can be tough (at least for me) to fight that down. Old school baseball = alcoholism.

Speaking of, my parents went and saw Moneyball. My dad played some minor league ball and coached much of his life, total "old school" guy. He came away impressed but said that the A's lost because they didn't bunt in the playoffs (I don't remember the play, but he was pretty convinced of it). Never change, pop!

Doytch

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Real talk: How much is Alfredo Aceves worth now? $114m for 5 years? He was a better reliever than Madson and pitched about double the innings.
Ortiz will resign for peanuts if you promise Aceves a starting job. Win-win-win.

Berk pissed off at Astros moving to AL, said Brewers should move to the AL and partake in that thing called the DH.

Houston Chronicle said:
"I think it's a travesty," Berkman said.[...] "It's a National League franchise. I think if they were going to do something like that, Milwaukee's the choice to go back to the American League; they're historically an American League franchise.

"It's a shame, I think, that Bud Selig is probably going to make that be sort of a condition of the [team's] sale. I don't like it. Even when I retire and live here in Houston, I don't want to go watch American League baseball. I'd like to have a National League team."

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Berk pissed off at Astros moving to AL, said Brewers should move to the AL and partake in that thing called the DH.

I don't want the Brewers to go back. I've grown accustomed to NL ball.

It should actually be Arizona that moves.

Berkman is right. Only reason the Brewers came to the NL is the last realignment needed to fix shit. Everyone views their style of play as AL-like anyway and they'd greatly benefit from the DH. Nobody would care if they went back to the AL, whereas Houston has several rivalries from the NL.

BFIB

That bandbox is Houston is primed for AL style play.

Glad we won't be going to that Playskool "ballpark" anymore.

nemss said:
That bandbox is Houston is primed for AL style play.

Glad we won't be going to that Playskool "ballpark" anymore.
At least it's only that way in Left. Center and Right is not easy to hit it out.

Unlike Citizen's Bank Playground, where it's easy EVERYWHERE to pop one.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
Berkman is right. Only reason the Brewers came to the NL is the last realignment needed to fix shit. Everyone views their style of play as AL-like anyway and they'd greatly benefit from the DH. Nobody would care if they went back to the AL, whereas Houston has several rivalries from the NL.

lol

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
Astros-Cards (obviously) - everyone hates the Cardinals
Astros-Mets (1986, people never forget)
Astros-Pirates (from the 80s-90s)
Astros-Braves (people forget this one alot, but it used to be heated)

Your move, son.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Pretty sure everybody in baseball had a rivalry with the Cards.

All those rivalries are pretty much dead now for the most part.

The Astros do have a pretty good rivalry though with the Round Rock Express and the Albuquerque Isotopes.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Astros-Cards (obviously)
Astros-Mets (1986, people never forget)
Astros-Pirates (from the 80s-90s)
Astros-Braves (people forget this one alot, but it used to be heated)

Your move, son.
You moved yourself into check.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Hey, you know most rivalries die down a bit when a team starts sucking, but they never disappear. The term "rivalry" does not develop overnight, it stems from a long process of heated games and great finishes. You're nuts to think what if Houston got back to being good baseball type playing team person you wouldn't hear about it.
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Again, most people don't bring up historical rivalries when a team is horrible. See Knicks-Celtics in the late 80-early 90s (lol Boston). Knicks and Celtics are good now? RIVALRY WEEK. It's be sad when the Celtics become irrelevant next year though.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Hey, you know most rivalries die down a bit when a team starts sucking, but they never disappear. The term "rivalry" does not develop overnight, it stems from a long process of heated games and great finishes. You're nuts to think what if Houston got back to being good baseball type playing team person you wouldn't hear about it.

Again, most people don't bring up historical rivalries when a team is horrible. See Knicks-Celtics in the late 80-early 90s (lol Boston). Knicks and Celtics are good now? RIVALRY WEEK.
It's not about dying down, it's simply dead in this case.

I don't think you can compare Knicks and Celtics to Houston and...well anybody.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Houston will never get back to being a good baseball type playing team person.

The idea that the Mets and Astros would be good at the same time is absolutely hilarious to me.

eznark

Banned
I much, much prefer NL baseball so yeah, it would annoy me. Especially since it makes no sense for the Astros to be in the NL Central from a logistics standpoint.

It's not like the Brewers fought to be in the NL. There were a handful of teams given the option and they all passed, but to do the realignment Selig needed one to move. Brewers stepped up to the plate and saved baseball.

hemtae

The last time anybody from Houston felt anything towards the Mets was when Beltran signed with the Mets instead of the Astros.

The Frankman said:
It's be sad when the Celtics become irrelevant next year though.
You guys just spent a whole decade in irrelevance. And you just got swept out of the playoffs and you still have the same retarded coach. The Knicks aren't going anywhere.

eznark said:
I much, much prefer NL baseball so yeah, it would annoy me. Especially since it makes no sense for the Astros to be in the NL Central from a logistics standpoint.

It's not like the Brewers fought to be in the NL. There were a handful of teams given the option and they all passed, but to do the realignment Selig needed one to move. Brewers stepped up to the plate and saved baseball.
... um... Central southern part of the US. They use Central Standard Time (or whatever it's called). Since there's no NL/AL South, Central makes sense. And hey, The Astros have always been an NL team. Brewers have been more affiliated with the AL, and are also built MUCH BETTER TO SUCCEED in the AL.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
... um... Central southern part of the US. They use Central Standard Time (or whatever it's called). Since there's no NL/AL South, Central makes sense.

Flight look times persons long money lots

built MUCH BETTER TO SUCCEED in the AL.
How?

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
It's be sad when the Celtics become irrelevant next year though.
I'm not sure that you understand how this works.

I think the Brewers would be great in the AL. I'm not going to come up with some bs that they are hanging on to their philosophies or style of play from the 90s.

eznark said:

They have a natural DH named Carlos Lee.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I'm not sure that you understand how this works.

I think the Brewers would be great in the AL. I'm not going to come up with some bs that they are hanging on to their philosophies or style of play from the 90s.

Brewers have some of the best hitting pitchers in baseball. They're great for the NL.

Sanjuro

acheron_xl said:
Brewers have some of the best hitting pitchers in baseball. They're great for the NL.
That wasn't my point. I was saying I think they could come to the AL and make an impact immediately, but they aren't in any way still related to the Brewers team that left in the 1990s.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
That wasn't my point. I was saying I think they could come to the AL and make an impact immediately, but they aren't in any way still related to the Brewers team that left in the 1990s.

Is it because the AL Central is garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom