• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
hemtae said:
Well presumably, the Brewers would be moved to the AL central and Kansas City would be moved to the AL west. But I do agree that the Astros to the AL West is the best move.

Any move that keep the Astros in the NL Central is logistically moronic. Regardless of what happens with Milwaukee.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i made a post awhile back about how the divisions and leagues could be arranged if you went by time zone. Basically if you wanted to keep at least two divisions per league you could have one league with two eastern divisions, (Eastern Time Zone Teams) (14 teams total) and another League with a Central Division (Central Time Zone Teams, 8 teams) and a Western Division (Pacific and Mountain Time Zone Teams, 8 teams) (16 teams total).
The Frankman said:
I didn't know Houston was a western US city.
yeah they moved the city to California last week, fuckers left Texas a mess though.

Windu

acheron_xl said:
You can argue there shouldn't be two west divisions at all.
yeah there probably should be like 3 eastern divisions, two central and one west.

edit: err that would make only 5...hmm two central i guess. anyway, its a mess.

edit:2 /facepalm i need some sleep...

eznark

Banned
Windu said:
well the rangers should have never been in the AL West in the first place.

I'd personally like to see no divisions. NL v. AL, balanced schedule and they only ever play in the World Series. No playoffs. The whole season is the playoffs.

Windu

eznark said:
I'd personally like to see no divisions. NL v. AL, balanced schedule and they only ever play in the World Series. No playoffs. The whole season is the playoffs.
yeah that would be preferable, although i do like the playoffs.

Windu said:
yeah there probably should be like 3 eastern divisions, two central and one west.

edit: err that would make only 5...hmm two central i guess. anyway, its a mess.

For geographic purposes, this more or less nails it, but it's just too much change for me to take.

Rosenthal-2.jpg

Windu

here is that post:
Windu said:
Eastern League (NO DH Muhahahaaha): 14 teams

East 1

Braves
Reds
Pirates
Marlins
Nationals
Phillies
Mets

East 2

Tigers
Indians
Blue Jays
Rays
Orioles
Yankees
Red Sox

No Ratings League: 16 teams

Central

Astros
Cardinals
Brewers
Cubs
Twins
Royals
Rangers
White Sox

West

Giants
Dodgers
Padres
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Mariners
A's
Angels
EUPxS.jpg

JpUhA.png

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Looks like there is no deal in place between the Phillies and Madson after all. Wonder if Amaro got cold feet? Rosenthal is reporting that the Nats are in talks with Madson now.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
darkside31337 said:
Looks like there is no deal in place between the Phillies and Madson after all. Wonder if Amaro got cold feet? Rosenthal is reporting that the Nats are in talks with Madson now.
Sounds like Amaro and Madson worked out the deal, then when Amaro brought it to ownership today they asked him if he was fucking crazy, and now everybody's backpeddling.

Windu

I was starting to wonder if there was a sane person left in the phillies front office. Sad to hear there still is.

Yeah, Phillies ownership crapped all over the Madson deal and told Amaro to fuck off. Looks like they're going to have to rework it, but the Nats are jumping on Madson now as well as Oswalt. Phillies could end up with Papelbon if they lose Madson.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yeah, Phillies ownership crapped all over the Madson deal and told Amaro to fuck off. Looks like they're going to have to rework it, but the Nats are jumping on Madson now as well as Oswalt. Phillies could end up with Papelbon if they lose Madson.

I would be happy with Papelbon if he is cheaper.

ESPN posted a thing where they polled executives on seven questions. Maybe BaseballGAF could discuss it too.

1. Which free agent first baseman will provide better value over the course of his next contract: Albert Pujols (age 31) or Prince Fielder (age 27)?

2. Which free agent closer has the best chance of regaining his former glory: Francisco Rodriguez or Joe Nathan?

3. Which disappointing 2011 free agent signing has the best chance of rebounding in 2012: Adam Dunn, Jayson Werth, or Carl Crawford?

4. Which vacant managerial job poses the toughest challenge: Red Sox, Cardinals, or Cubs?

5. Which free agent left-handed starting pitcher will provide better value over the course of his next contract: C.J. Wilson (age 31) or Mark Buehrle (age 32)?

6. Which team that historically collapsed in September has a better chance of making the playoffs in 2012: Red Sox or Braves?

7. Which young pitching phenom would you rather have on your team: Stephen Strasburg, Matt Moore, or Yu Darvish?

Sanjuro

1. Depends on the contract, but Pujols

2. Nathan

3. Crawford (please god)

4. Cubs

5. Value has been re-defined with Wilson, but still will be Wilson.

6. Red Sox

7. Darvish

clemenx

Banned
When did K-Rod lose his glory? He was overpaid by Minaya and is a douche but he has never stopped being a good pitcher...

Doytch

1. Prince, easily.
2. KRod, easily.
3. Rebounding to previous established career norms? Crawford or Werth. Rebounding to the level people seem to expect? Dunn.
4. Dunno, and I don't think any fan knows.
5. Buehrle. CJ gonna get the GREEN.
6. Sox. Only reason they didn't get in this year was because of injuries.
7. Strasburg. TJ is out of the way and he looked dominant. I've seen Moore in person though...and....wow.

Sanjuro why you saying Nathan? He'll be 37, and K-Rod is 29. Plus, K-Rod was actually good this year.

Sanjuro

clemenx said:
When did K-Rod lose his glory? He was overpaid by Minaya and is a douche but he has never stopped being a good pitcher...
I don't think he has at all. Nathan is just a far better pitcher if he is healthy.

JABEE

AnEternalEnigma said:
ESPN posted a thing where they polled executives on seven questions. Maybe BaseballGAF could discuss it too.

1. Which free agent first baseman will provide better value over the course of his next contract: Albert Pujols (age 31) or Prince Fielder (age 27)?

2. Which free agent closer has the best chance of regaining his former glory: Francisco Rodriguez or Joe Nathan?

3. Which disappointing 2011 free agent signing has the best chance of rebounding in 2012: Adam Dunn, Jayson Werth, or Carl Crawford?

4. Which vacant managerial job poses the toughest challenge: Red Sox, Cardinals, or Cubs?

5. Which free agent left-handed starting pitcher will provide better value over the course of his next contract: C.J. Wilson (age 31) or Mark Buehrle (age 32)?

6. Which team that historically collapsed in September has a better chance of making the playoffs in 2012: Red Sox or Braves?

7. Which young pitching phenom would you rather have on your team: Stephen Strasburg, Matt Moore, or Yu Darvish?
1. Which free agent first baseman will provide better value over the course of his next contract: Albert Pujols (age 31) or Prince Fielder (age 27)? Prince Fielder

2. Which free agent closer has the best chance of regaining his former glory: Francisco Rodriguez or Joe Nathan? Joe Nathan

3. Which disappointing 2011 free agent signing has the best chance of rebounding in 2012: Adam Dunn, Jayson Werth, or Carl Crawford? Carl Crawford

4. Which vacant managerial job poses the toughest challenge: Red Sox, Cardinals, or Cubs? Cubs

5. Which free agent left-handed starting pitcher will provide better value over the course of his next contract: C.J. Wilson (age 31) or Mark Buehrle (age 32)? CJ Wilson

6. Which team that historically collapsed in September has a better chance of making the playoffs in 2012: Red Sox or Braves? Braves

7. Which young pitching phenom would you rather have on your team: Stephen Strasburg, Matt Moore, or Yu Darvish? Matt Moore

clemenx

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I don't think he has at all. Nathan is just a far better pitcher if he is healthy.
Agreed. But including K-Rod in that question in comparison to Nathan seems pretty stupid to me.

It's almost as if pitching in the 9th is something magical.

Sanjuro

Doytch said:
Patrice Bergeron is also pretty good.
He has been playing well lately. I still wish Savy was able to come back though, he would have solved many of the problems during our slump.

Sanjuro

clemenx said:
Agreed. But including K-Rod in that question in comparison to Nathan seems pretty stupid to me.

It's almost as if pitching in the 9th is something magical.
We as the fans make it magical.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:

1. Pujols
2. K-Rod easily (but I would rather have Nathan based on likely contracts)
3. Werth
4. Cubs
5. Buerhle. Wilson the better SP but Buerhle is going to be much, much more likely to surpass his contract value.
6. Braves
7. Matt Moore

Those are some really nice questions.

clemenx

Banned
Wilson Ramos has reportedly been kidnapped here in Venezuela... Fuck this fucking country.

No link yet, but reported on TV and every major sports journalist on twitter. Fuckign shit.

Hoping this is just some serious misinformation... But the fact that it's believable/expected says it all about this shithole.

Fenix

clemenx said:
Wilson Ramos has reportedly been kidnapped here in Venezuela... Fuck this fucking country.

No link yet, but reported on TV and every major sports journalist on twitter. Fuckign shit.
Holy shit.

Sanjuro

clemenx said:

The hell...

clemenx said:

Hoping this is just some serious misinformation... But the fact that it's believable/expected says it all about this shithole.
Uh oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom