• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Was about to hit confirm on an $85 Olerud. Cancelled. Feel dumb paying that for something I'll hardly ever/never wear for the next 1.5 years minimum.

Sanjuro

Doytch said:
Pfft. I'll get one with Rodgah!
dawson_crying.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yankeehater said:
I didnt want them to resign him, but those numbers are not bad at all.
I'd say it's about 20 million too much. He is still a reliever after all. 11 million per year is hilarious.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
yankeehater said:
I didnt want them to resign him, but those numbers are not bad at all.

Ryan Madson pitched approximately 4% of the total innings in 2011 for the Phillies. He's making $11 million per now.

How exactly is that not bad at all? Paying relievers ridiculous salaries on top of ridiculous contract lengths is a great way to set yourself up for failure.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
yankeehater said:
Okay. Like I said I didnt want them to re-sign Madson, but hearing Boras was his agent I expected him to get a lot more.
???

You didn't want your best reliever back?

No, I think they could have found someone cheaper and used that money on an offensive player. I actually would have liked to see Bastard given a chance to close. He was amazing before September, and the Phils have other needs.

Square Triangle said:
MW3 flooding MLB.com, what is the world coming to.
Making that cash. MLBAM be promoting games and music videos. They are even allying with Glenn Beck for his new online show. MLBAM is a billion dollar company.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Square Triangle said:
Exactly 4 years ago today, the Rays dropped the Devil Rays name.

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Peopled joked about the name change at the time, but the joke is on all of them now. The name change was the catalyst for all the success!

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
Are you fucking serious? $44 million for Ryan Madson? K-Rod just got excited.
i can't wait for Kimbrel's first year of arbitration....

Sharp

Do the Phillies have, like, an unlimited amount of money to waste on these bad deals and still pursue free agents? At some point the bottom has to drop out.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
I hear Phillies are close to signing Yoenis Cespedes to a minor league deal, $6 million dollar signing bonus.

He's going to get at least somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 million and a major league deal.

darkside31337 said:
He's going to get at least somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 million and a major league deal.
who was the last Cuban player to skip the minors and hit well immediately in the majors? I can't even think of the last guy.

Windu

the philies did get out of ibanez's contract and then they are no longer paying part of oswalt's contract as well. But they do have arbitration raises (hamels) and FAs (rollins). I expect them to go right up to the luxury tax limit.
The Frankman said:
who was the last Cuban player to skip the minors and hit well immediately in the majors? I can't even think of the last guy.
i think he just means he will get a major league deal ala strasburg instead of a minor league one. he will still be in the minors.

Doytch

The Frankman said:
Irrelevant. Itll be close to Aroldis' deal. $6m is way too low.

The Frankman said:
I hear Phillies are close to signing Yoenis Cespedes to a minor league deal, $6 million dollar signing bonus.

Every time I see his name, I'll always remember that absolutely goofy recruitment/showcase video (or whatever the hell it was trying to be).

newjeruse

Carlos Silva had the lowest K-rate in baseball in 2005, but he also had the highest K/BB ratio in the game that same season.

Fuckin baseball. I already miss you.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I just want to say I hate in baseball the idea of giving guys major league money when they haven't done shit in the minors. Always hated it.

Sharp

The Frankman said:
I just want to say I hate in baseball the idea of giving guys major league money when they haven't done shit in the minors. Always hated it.
Not everyone busts.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JD Drew wasn't a bust. Not even close. Busts don't crack the show, guys like Matt Bush.

Although Bush had a really nice season this year for the Rays in the minors. Guy really might make it back as a reliever.

darkside31337 said:
JD Drew wasn't a bust. Not even close. Busts don't crack the show, guys like Matt Bush.
He was a bust for the team that drafted him... twice! Phils drafted him, and when he didn't get the money he wanted he bolted to the Independent league. Went to the Cardinals and did jack shit, Tony LaRussa hated him.

hmm... white OF that Tony LaRussa hated... I'm seeing a pattern.

J.D. Drew
Ryan Ludwick (not hate per se, but he had issues with him)
Colby Rasmus

Windu said:
JD Drew had a MVP caliber year with the braves. Pretty good "bust".
read my post. He was a two-time draft bust. Also:

The Braves acquired the oft-injured outfielder from the St. Louis Cardinals along with Eli Marrero on Saturday for former first-round draft picks Jason Marquis and Adam Wainright, and reliever Ray King.
for former first-round draft picks Jason Marquis and Adam Wainright, and reliever Ray King.
Adam Wainright
Adam Wainright
... I hope it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom