• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn feel real bad for A.J... :(
Michael Kay when he was on the radio with John Sterling was really good, because all he had to do was call a couple of innings and mostly analyze. being the lead play by play guy is not for him, it's turned into an obnoxious idiot. John Sterling has always been entertaining to me, fuck the haters.

you shut your whore mouth

no, it's the truth.

Parch

That's an interesting list. Pretty spot on IMO.

I think some broadcasters fail to remember or just don't care that their broadcast extends beyond their local coverage. Everybody is going to have a home town bias and will never be completely neutral, but some are just so overly fanboy that they make themselves look like complete idiots. It ends up sounding very unprofessional.

bryehn

RBH

MLB.TV sounds even more appealing with being able to sync the radio announcers. Anyone who has seen a Phillies game on Comcast Sportsnet knows that Tom McCarthy is INSUFFERABLE. But, it's totally useless to get a subscription unless you're out of area, right? It would be great to have it if say, I was recording something on the DVR and then I could just fire up the PS3 and watch the game, or watch it on my computer at work for a day game. I'd love it for the other baseball games, but not being able to watch the Phillies is the only deterrent.

Here's today's trivia question (actually, I'll use Wednesday's because I like it better):

Who won back-to-back MVPs and is eligible for the Hall of Fame but not in?

A) Hal Newhouser
B) Ernie Banks
C) Roger Maris
D) Frank Thomas
C

Sanjuro

So,

Scenario.

- The Red Sox could win the division.

- Yankees and Rays could fight it out for the Wild Card.

- Rays win, and we have to head down to Tampa Bay for the first two games in a series of best of five.

Stupid.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Hal Steinbrenner: Yankees 'don't need $220 million payroll'
TAMPA, Fla. — Hal Steinbrenner believes the Yankees can remain competitive without the bloated budgets that were a staple of his father's free-spending tenure in the Bronx.

"I'm a finance geek," Steinbrenner said. "I guess I always have been. That's my background. Budgets matter. Balance sheets matter. I just feel that if you do well on the player development side, and you have a good farm system, you don't need a $220 million payroll. You don't. You can field every bit as good a team with young talent."

He reiterated that the Yankees intend to lower payroll to below $189 million by 2014, to take advantage of new provisions in the collective bargaining agreement that would ease the Yankees' burden under baseball's revenue sharing plan. It would also take the sting out of luxury tax payments.

"Well, I'm looking at it as a goal," Steinbrenner said. "But my goals are normally are considered a requirement."

Joe

Cashman "look at a lot of clubs that are having massive success going about it a different way. And we can incorporate every way. I’ve referenced utilizing every tool in the toolbox. We’re still the Yankees. We’re still going to outspend everybody else."

He's had off the charts swag the past couple years.

It has always surprised me that the Yankees have thrown so much money at FAs but haven't done the same in player development. I guess lavish spending on prospects that may or may not pan out doesn't have the same pizazz as landing a marquee FA every offseason or so.

It has always surprised me that the Yankees have thrown so much money at FAs but haven't done the same in player development. I guess lavish spending on prospects that may or may not pan out doesn't have the same pizazz as landing a marquee FA every offseason or so.

It's not like their system is shit. They've had plenty of prospects, they just trade them off.

Malo

Banned
They've done a lot better in the player development side since Cash took full control around the mid 2000s.

Jon

Answer time:

The correct answer to the first question was...

C. Roger Maris. Congrats to Ez, Windu and RBH.

The second question was answered correctly by both Sanjuro and Eznark...I am debating on whether to count it as an official point...but seeing how it was a pretty tricky question, I will. Congrats to you guys as well.

aFIGurANT

Can anyone confirm that this *actually works*?

I've had the Gameday Audio subscription since before the apps existed, and the free app tells me that I need to upgrade for audio and such. If you can get audio both in the app and online by buying the full app, I'm going to be pretty pissed, because the inverse doesn't seem to be true, and the Gameday Audio sub costs more than the app does.

No idea about all that since you have the sub already, BUT, I know your pain as the android market still doesn't have it almost a week after all the news outlets announced the free introductory app and then the 15 dollar audio (with mlb.tv subs getting everything on all platforms availabile). So good luck, that seems weird if they are making you buy a new verision of the app + your sub from years past. Who is responsible for the support on this stuff?

Parch

They've done a lot better in the player development side since Cash took full control around the mid 2000s.
It's still tied to money. It's getting better, but plenty of prospects would only sign for teams who met their entry level contract demands. It made no sense to draft a player that a team had no chance to sign, so this talent would drop to the Yankees.

Frequently, the worst team did not pick the best talent, they picked a signable player. Don't pat the backs of the Yankees for their smart drafting and development when it still was about money. Everywhere in the Yankees organization, it's always been about the money giving them the advantage.

ZetaEpyon

No idea about all that since you have the sub already, BUT, I know your pain as the android market still doesn't have it almost a week after all the news outlets announced the free introductory app and then the 15 dollar audio (with mlb.tv subs getting everything on all platforms availabile). So good luck, that seems weird if they are making you buy a new verision of the app + your sub from years past. Who is responsible for the support on this stuff?

Yeah I have a question in with their mobile support right now. Not really expecting a positive answer; MLB has always been incredibly slow and backwards with this sort of stuff. (See their policy on youtube videos as compared to say, the NBA.)

It's not like their system is shit. They've had plenty of prospects, they just trade them off.
Somebody earlier in the thread posted a chart of how much teams invested in the draft and how the new CBA cap on draft spending would affect certain teams. IIRC the Yankees were middle of the pack at best in draft spending. Maybe they haven't been in the best draft positions to sign Rick Porcello types for over slot, but it seems like they could've easily leveraged their financial advantages in this arena as well.

Is there any data on how much each organization spends on international talent?

eznark

Banned
Somebody earlier in the thread posted a chart of how much teams invested in the draft and how the new CBA cap on draft spending would affect certain teams. IIRC the Yankees were middle of the pack at best in draft spending. Maybe they haven't been in the best draft positions to sign Rick Porcello types for over slot, but it seems like they could've easily leveraged their financial advantages in this arena as well.

Is there any data on how much each organization spends on international talent?

They're also constantly drafting later and paying less. In the past five years, MLB has tried to lean on teams to stop drafting based on "signability" which leaves fewer of those over slot guys to be had.

They're also constantly drafting later and paying less. In the past five years, MLB has tried to lean on teams to stop drafting based on "signability" which leaves fewer of those over slot guys to be had.
Fair enough. I guess smaller market teams picking ahead of the Yankees going over slot for the best prospects lately doesn't help and is probably why the league put the draft spending cap in the recent CBA.

eznark

Banned
Fair enough. I guess smaller market teams picking ahead of the Yankees going over slot for the best prospects lately doesn't help and is probably why the league put the draft spending cap in the recent CBA.

I'm just saying it skews the amount spent on the draft. They are also giving away comp picks while others are accumulating them, so they pick fewer players on average.

Doytch

6947431945_56bb9dd876_b.jpg

When did we get Marcum back?

Parch

Dave Stieb's happy endings?

Pretty classic look though. Even the powder blues don't seem so bad anymore. The classic logo has always been my favorite.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So,

Scenario.

- The Red Sox could win the division.

- Yankees and Rays could fight it out for the Wild Card.

- Rays win, and we have to head down to Tampa Bay for the first two games in a series of best of five.

Stupid.

I cant believe people are whining about this. In this scenario the Red Sox are 100% guaranteed to play in the first round of the playoffs. The Yankees or Rays have a 50% chance to get to play the Red Sox.

The 2-3 change hardly matters in comparison to not having a 50% chance of being eliminated from the playoffs in your first playoff game.

You can argue that it is slightly advantageous to be a 3 seed instead of the 2 seed but really home field advantage in baseball in a 5 game series doesn't mean a whole lot.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
they should change it to 4-1 or 1-4. Or at least make it that way for when you play a team that won a wild card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom