• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

MLB.TV sounds even more appealing with being able to sync the radio announcers. Anyone who has seen a Phillies game on Comcast Sportsnet knows that Tom McCarthy is INSUFFERABLE. But, it's totally useless to get a subscription unless you're out of area, right? It would be great to have it if say, I was recording something on the DVR and then I could just fire up the PS3 and watch the game, or watch it on my computer at work for a day game. I'd love it for the other baseball games, but not being able to watch the Phillies is the only deterrent.

Here's today's trivia question (actually, I'll use Wednesday's because I like it better):

Who won back-to-back MVPs and is eligible for the Hall of Fame but not in?

A) Hal Newhouser
B) Ernie Banks
C) Roger Maris
D) Frank Thomas

Sanjuro

MLB.TV sounds even more appealing with being able to sync the radio announcers. Anyone who has seen a Phillies game on Comcast Sportsnet knows that Tom McCarthy is INSUFFERABLE. But, it's totally useless to get a subscription unless you're out of area, right? It would be great to have it if say, I was recording something on the DVR and then I could just fire up the PS3 and watch the game, or watch it on my computer at work for a day game. I'd love it for the other baseball games, but not being able to watch the Phillies is the only deterrent.

Here's today's trivia question (actually, I'll use Wednesday's because I like it better):

A) Hal Newhouser
B) Ernie Banks
C) Roger Maris
D) Frank Thomas

D

Jon

Today's trivia, since Eznark asked:

Match each pitcher with his World Series record.

1) Dan Quisenberry
2) Christy Mathewson
3) Deacon Phillippe
4) Lew Burdette

A) Games won in an eight-game Series
B) Games won in a five-game Series
C) Games relieved in a six-game Series
D) Home runs allowed in a five-game Series

eznark

Banned

1) Dan Quisenberry
2) Christy Mathewson
3) Deacon Phillippe
4) Lew Burdette

1:C 2:B 3:A 4:D

Deacon Phillippe = process of elimination coin flip...

Sanjuro

1) Dan Quisenberry
2) Christy Mathewson
3) Deacon Phillippe
4) Lew Burdette

1)C
2)B
3)A
4)D

Always wondered how all the TV announcers ranked. Glad to see Gary, Keith, and Ron get some nice recognition. These guys really are 2nd best. 1st being Vin Scully of course.
fangraphs.com said:
Beginning in late November, we’ve spent much of the offseason asking readers to rate the television broadcast teams (on a scale of 1-5 for charisma, analysis, and then overall) for all 30 major-league clubs — with the intention, ultimately, of determining which broadcasts might best reflect the sorts of inquiry and analysis performed here at the site

31. Chicago White Sox
Broadcasters: Hawk Harrelson and Steve Stone
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.1, 2.2, 2.0

30. Los Angeles Dodgers (Away)
Broadcasters: Eric Collins and Steve Lyons
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.2, 2.1, 2.1

29. St. Louis Cardinals
Broadcasters: Dan McLaughlin, Al Hrabosky, and Rick Horton
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.4, 2.1, 2.3

28. Colorado Rockies
Broadcasters: Drew Goodman and Jeff Huson (and George Frazier, too)
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.6, 2.6, 2.5

27. Atlanta Braves
Broadcasters: Chip Caray and Joe Simpson
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.8, 2.6, 2.7

26. Philadelphia Phillies
Broadcasters: Tom McCarthy, Chris Wheeler, and (sort of) Gary “Sarge” Matthews
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.6, 2.7, 2.7

25. Toronto Blue Jays
Broadcasters: Buck Martinez and Pat Tabler
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.8, 2.7, 2.8

24. Cleveland Indians
Broadcasters: Matt Underwood and Rick Manning
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.9, 2.9, 2.9

23. Washington Nationals
Broadcasters: Bob Carpenter and F. P. Santangelo
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.8, 2.9, 2.9

22. New York Yankees
Broadcasters: Michael Kay and Ken Singleton (and David Cone, John Flaherty, Al Leiter, and Paul O’Neill)
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.8, 2.8, 2.9

21. Arizona Diamondbacks
Broadcasters: Daron Sutton and Mark Grace
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.3, 2.7, 3.0

20. Pittsburgh Pirates
Broadcasters: Some combination of Greg Brown, Tim Neverett, Bob Walk, Steve Blass, and John Wehner
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.1, 2.9, 3.0

19. Kansas City Royals
Broadcasters: Ryan Lefebvre and Frank White*
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.1, 2.8, 3.0

18. Cincinnati Reds
Broadcasters: Thom Brennaman and Chris Welsh
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.1, 3.2, 3.1

17. San Diego Padres
Broadcasters: Dick Enberg and Mark Grant
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.4, 3.1, 3.1

16. Miami Marlins
Broadcasters: Rich Waltz and Tommy Hutton
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.2, 3.0, 3.1

15. Texas Rangers
Broadcasters: Dave Barnett and Tom Grieve
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.0, 3.1, 3.1

14. Minnesota Twins
Broadcasters: Dick Bremer and Bert Blyleven
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.5, 2.7, 3.2

13. Seattle Mariners
Broadcasters: Dave Sims and Mike Blowers
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.3, 3.0, 3.3

12. Baltimore Orioles
Broadcasters: Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.4, 3.2, 3.3

11. Los Angeles Angels
Broadcasters: Victor Rojas and Mark Gubicza
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.4, 3.2, 3.3

10. Tampa Bay Rays
Broadcasters: Dewayne Staats and Brian Anderson
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.3, 3.2, 3.4

9. Oakland Athletics
Broadcasters: Glen Kuiper and Ray Fosse
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.4, 3.2, 3.4

8. Detroit Tigers
Broadcasters: Mario Impemba and Rod Allen
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.6, 3.0, 3.5

7. Milwaukee Brewers
Broadcasters: Brian Anderson and Bill Schroeder
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.6, 3.2, 3.6

6. Chicago Cubs
Broadcasters: Len Kasper and Bob Brenly
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.7, 3.9, 3.9

5. Boston Red Sox
Broadcasters: Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 4.0, 3.6, 4.0

4. Houston Astros
Broadcasters: Bill Brown and Jim Deshaies
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 4.3, 4.1, 4.2

3. San Francisco Giants
Broadcasters: Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 4.7, 4.4, 4.7

2. New York Mets
Broadcasters: Gary Cohen, Ron Darling, and Keith Hernandez
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 4.6, 4.4, 4.7

1. Los Angeles Dodgers (Home)
Broadcasters: Vin Scully
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 4.8, 4.5, 4.7

I really like Sarge on the Phillies broadcast. The other 2 guys not so much but Sarge always has great stories. I really miss LA on the broadcasts, man that guy was always making jokes and telling stories about getting drunk.

eznark

Banned
I'd put the Padres top 5 easy. I'd put Orsillo in the bottom with Hawk and Kay. Cincinnati is good, Arizona is great. I have no real quarrels with the top 4 though I'd drop the Astros a bit.

While I wouldn't include it in the rankings because I know it's not a popular opinion...I love Buck Martinez!

Same here. Kay is no good. and they have like ten different analysts.
Paul O'Neil is a trainwreck. The rest of their color people are ok. Kay fucking sucks.

Sanjuro

I would be curious if someone did a radio broadcast ranking. But, I can confirm that the Indians TV guys are bottom tier.

Same with the Red Sox radio broadcast. I like listening to it, although much of my liking has to do with Joe Castiglione broadcasting since I was a kid. Overall he is below average. When he gets depressed during slumps it's pretty outstanding though.

Dave O'Brien is pretty awesome though. He isn't the main guy, but for some games he will fill in for a majority of the innings. Does a spot on Scully impersonation.

JambiBum

So with the new wildcard spots division winners might end up opening on the road.

NEW YORK –- With Major League Baseball set to add another wild card to its postseason – perhaps with an announcement as early as today – it's possible that because of inadequate time to fix the schedule, division winners could be forced to open the playoffs on the road, SB Nation has learned.

The addition of another wild card team will create a play-in game between the two wild cards, but because the 2012 regular season schedule was made prior to this proposed addition, there may not be enough days built in for travel. Therefore, if MLB cannot find a resolution, the current 2-2-1 format would change to 2-3, with the division winners opening away from their respective home ballparks.

Both the players' union and MLB are still finalizing discussions, but a source told SB Nation that the 2-3 format has already been agreed upon if there is no way to keep the 2-2-1 format. The change will only be in place for the 2012 postseason, because the schedule had already been finalized before the discussion of adding wild card teams happened; that obviously will not be the case in 2013. Next year also should be easier overall on the schedule makers since it's expected that a National League team is expected to move to the A.L. next season.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/3/2/2839190/mlb-playoff-expansion-division-winners-road-teams

Man that's dogshit for the owners. You sweep the DS and you only get one home game?

But on the plus side for them they are almost 100% to get to the 2nd round now. 3 straight at home to finish a series is a huge advantage. We wont see many upsets at all now in that round.

Sanjuro

Man that's dogshit for the owners. You sweep the DS and you only get one home game?

Each playoff team will adopt a team that didn't make the postseason. Therefore there is a game being played at home and away. Both scores are tallied to decide a winner.

/mlblogic

Mrbob

Then you must not listen to Rock and Anderson. They aren't Hawk bad, but they are definitely terrible.

Rock is garbage. Anderson is actually decent though.

Brenley/Kasper should be higher though! Kasper is the real deal. He is the only reason this upcoming season will be tolerable.

eznark

Banned
Rock is garbage. Anderson is actually decent though.

Brenley/Kasper should be higher though! Kasper is the real deal. He is the only reason this upcoming season will be tolerable.

Bob Brenley is one of the worst across the board though. He is abjectly awful at his job, he clearly hates his job, and he never attempts to hide it. He's atrocious.

newjeruse

Few human beings on the planet know less about baseball than Don Orsillo. He's like Drew Barrymore's character from 50 First Dates: everyday he wakes up, he has to be completely retaught the sport.

Sanjuro

Few human beings on the planet know less about baseball than Don Orsillo. He's like Drew Barrymore's character from 50 First Dates: everyday he wakes up, he has to be completely retaught the sport.

You remember Drew Barrymore's character from 50 First Dates?!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Twins are way, way too high. Bremer has the occasional great call, but his homerism is really, really frustrating. Bert is charming but a horrible announcer, and he provides zero insight to what's happening in the game. And he drags Bremer down to his level, since Bremer doesn't want to make him look like jackass when he's providing zero insight into the game.

Last year Bert was gone for a week and Tom Kelly was in the booth. TK was great (the way he politely referred to Dick Bremer as "Richard" the entire time he was in the booth was spectacular), and it sounds like he'll be back in there for a while this year. Can't wait for those games. I'm also excited to hear Cory Provus call a game. Too bad Dan Gladden & Jack Morris are still in the booth. They're awful.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

A) Hal Newhouser
B) Ernie Banks
C) Roger Maris
D) Frank Thomas
C

ZetaEpyon

So on MLB at-bat, you can get gameday audio from either team's radio station for any game, plus the regular free browser cartoon-visualization-thing for the one-time 14.99 - right? Plus your random free game etc. of course..?

Can anyone confirm that this *actually works*?

I've had the Gameday Audio subscription since before the apps existed, and the free app tells me that I need to upgrade for audio and such. If you can get audio both in the app and online by buying the full app, I'm going to be pretty pissed, because the inverse doesn't seem to be true, and the Gameday Audio sub costs more than the app does.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Always wondered how all the TV announcers ranked. Glad to see Gary, Keith, and Ron get some nice recognition. These guys really are 2nd best. 1st being Vin Scully of course.
#3 wooo. Lol

I love our broadcasts. Was the best part of the team for many years there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom