• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

cuevas said:
I think all fantasy experts are jokes. Hey look I can use baseball reference!!!
Oh hell yeah. I read Razzball and listen to the 06010, but that's for the funniez more than any advice.

Sharp

acheron_xl said:
Not all fantasy experts are created equal. Most are garbage, but there are a few that are rather insightful.
Yeah but everyone has access to them, making their advice less than worthless.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
video game journalists should just be called PR, kinda like Jon Heyman and Boras Clients.

Windu

Nats catcher Wilson Ramos was kidnapped in Venezuela over 24 hours ago. His captors have yet to contact the Ramos family seeking a ransom and authorities are short on promising leads.

But El Universal, a Venezuelan newspaper based in Caracas, has uncovered a few more details about what exactly took place on Wednesday evening in the town of Valencia:

- Ramos signed an autograph for a young fan who had been playing stickball just before the kidnappers pulled up.
- An orange 2007 Chevrolet Captiva was the primary vehicle used in the kidnapping, but another truck was also involved. The Chevy had no plates and the windows were heavily tinted.
- Two men, with their faces uncovered, got out of the Chevy and approached Ramos. One wrapped his arm around the 24-year-old’s neck and pressed a 9mm pistol against his head.
- Ramos was with his father Abraham, his brother David, and a cousin. He was the only one taken.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/10/more-details-emerge-on-the-kidnapping-of-wilson-ramos/
For an expert opinion on the situation, we spoke with Chris Voss, who spent 24 years at the FBI specializing in international kidnapping and hostage negotiations, including eight cases in Venezuela. He’s now a professor at Georgetown University, teaching the art of negotiation at the McDonough School of Business, and is also CEO of the Black Swan Group. We talked to him about kidnapping, both in general and in Venezuela in particular.

What were your first thoughts about the Ramos kidnapping?
Obviously it was a targeted kidnapping. There’s a difference between a targeted kidnapping and one of opportunity. A targeted kidnapping involves a selected victim, a selected time.

Are the Venezuelan authorities up to the task of finding him?
No. Kidnapping is a problem most effectively dealt with by civilian law enforcement—the police. But Chávez [Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez] has done everything he can to give control to the military to weaken the police. The military does not have the method of operation or training to deal with a kidnapping.

What distinguishes kidnappers in Venezuela?
It doesn’t matter what country you’re in; kidnapping is a business. It has to be looked at as a business. For criminals to stay in the business of kidnapping, they have to release the victims when they get paid.

Do you think Ramos’s life is at risk?
If this is a ransom kidnapping, then the risk of harm is low.

Where do you think they took him? The jungle? Someplace remote?
Since law enforcement is so lax in Venezuela, it’s possible to stay in the cities, to go to criminal areas in the ghetto that are controlled by criminals. That’s all you have to do.

Do you think they know he is a player for an American team, and if so, does that make him more vulnerable?
If targeted, yes, they know who he is. Depending on the group, they may look at him as a particularly lucrative opportunity. If they know he is a baseball player they would probably happily take additional [ransom] funds from the Nationals.

Is it unusual that almost 24 hours passed with no contact from the kidnappers?
No, but they should be hearing relatively soon. It’s also quite possible somebody has heard and they aren’t saying.

What are the most critical developments in the first 24 hours of a kidnapping?
Establish proof of life in the negotiations. Make clear to the kidnappers that in order for them to get paid, the victim has to stay alive.

What is the biggest mistake rescuers make?
To be in a hurry, to be sloppy.

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/people/capitalcomment/21521.html
Eddie Perez - Braves said:
Venezuela is not the same beloved homeland Perez left at 18 years old after signing his first professional contract with the Braves. In fact, it is much different than it was just 15 years ago, when he first started his role as Greg Maddux's personal catcher.

"It's sad, because we love our country," Perez said. "Most of our family is there and we want to be there."

After completing an impressive rookie season with the Nationals this year, Ramos returned to Venezuela to spend time with his family and continue honing his baseball skills. Perez said he has been told the kidnappers spent a few days tracking Ramos as he traveled from his parents' home to a nearby stadium.

"Everybody in Venezuela knows that baseball players make a lot of money," Perez said. "They think all of us are millionaires, and that's what they're looking for."

There was genuine concern in Perez's voice as he took time Thursday evening to talk about Ramos, a young catcher who he was introduced to five years ago as he played one final season in the Venezuelan Winter League.

Like many young catchers from his country, Ramos grew up a fan of Perez, who was one of the first Venezuelans to serve as a catcher in the Majors.

Now Perez finds himself an admirer of the talents possessed by Ramos. This past year, they took time to talk to each other whenever the Braves and Nationals played.

"He's one of my guys," Perez said. "He's a great kid. We hope for the best. It's sad. It has to happen to somebody famous to let everybody know how bad things are in Venezuela."

After Perez last played in the Venezuelan Winter League, he returned to his native land during each of the next three offseasons to serve as a coach or manager. But he has opted to stay in Atlanta the past two winters.

"I was afraid something might happen to me," Perez said. "You could not go anywhere. I just stayed in the hotel. You could not go anywhere just because you're Eddie Perez or just because you've got money or just because they didn't like you."

When Perez returns to Venezuela to simply visit, he informs just one of his brothers and surprises the rest of his family with a stay that he limits to two weeks. He spends most of this visit confined to a family member's home.

"It's bad the way you do it," Perez said. "But if you want to be safe, that's the way to do it."

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/...10&content_id=25952658&vkey=news_atl&c_id=atl
CajoleJuice said:
lol fantasy baseball writers
yeah they have no life :)

Sharp

I still can't believe he is actually fucking kidnapped. The Nats should never have let him stay in his own house for an extended period of time if this was a significant risk.

AnEternalEnigma said:
All-Star Omar Infante!
oh shit, hand them the trophy.

y'know I've love for the Marlins to sign a bunch of big name players so I can hear the Dream Team label and Flo Rida's "We Already Won" song played nonstop. Because it worked so well for that other Miami team.

Buster Olney is saying the Marlins plan to open the 2012 season with a payroll around $90 million. Their payroll for 2011 was $58 million.

Marlins are now meeting with Pujols on Saturday.

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
Buster Olney is saying the Marlins plan to open the 2012 season with a payroll around $90 million. Their payroll for 2011 was $58 million.

The braves might actually have the lowest payroll in the east. lol

Looks like Reyes is signing with the Marlins. Bleacher Report says it's "nearly a done deal" and could be finalized today. Reyes could even be a surprise model for the Marlins new uniform unveiling today.

Hanley would be moving to 3B.

Meohsix

b29dP.jpg

Not horrible. but need to see road / alts

Windu

Marlins returned from Cespedes workout. Source tells me Reyes "almost a done deal." Team also inquiring about A's Gio Gonzalez availability.
https://twitter.com/#!/SedanoShow/status/134800463710265346

Sharp

Windu said:
if the marlins sign Reyes and pujols I give up on the braves making the playoffs.
Why? Let's say Pujols has an average to down year and Reyes has a monster year and they accumulate 16 WAR. By Pythag the Marlins were 80 game winners and HanRam / Sanchez were worth a combined 4.3 WAR (damn, HanRam suuuuucked) so let's say that somehow they do a straight swap in production (I don't know where HanRam goes in this hypothetical scenario so maybe that's unfair, but whatever). That's a neat 11.7 WAR so if we play fast and loose with the numbers that means roughly a 92 win season. You really don't think the Braves can win 93 games next year? Like, there's not even a chance? They won 89 this year with an absolutely epic collapse down the stretch. Admittedly they vastly outperformed their Pythag though...

Windu

Sharp said:
Why? Let's say Pujols has an average to down year and Reyes has a monster year and they accumulate 16 WAR. By Pythag the Marlins were 80 game winners and HanRam / Sanchez were worth a combined 4.3 WAR (damn, HanRam suuuuucked) so let's say that somehow they do a straight swap in production (I don't know where HanRam goes in this hypothetical scenario so maybe that's unfair, but whatever). That's a neat 11.7 WAR so if we play fast and loose with the numbers that means roughly a 92 win season. You really don't think the Braves can win 93 games next year? Like, there's not even a chance? They won 89 this year with an absolutely epic collapse down the stretch. Admittedly they vastly outperformed their Pythag though...
Well Stanton is a monster (probably be my mvp pick) Hanley had a down year, Josh johnson only pitched in 9 games (I assume he will be back right?). Now add 10 wins for Reyes, Pujols? 90 wins I think would be a disappointment with that team.

eznark

Banned
Sharp said:

Have anyone gone back and done a study at the actual predictive success of the various expected wins models? It does not seem at all uncommon for a team to vary wildly, to the point where pythag is essentially pointless.

Sharp

eznark said:
Have anyone gone back and done a study at the actual predictive success of the various expected wins models? It does not seem at all uncommon for a team to vary wildly, to the point where pythag is essentially pointless.
Both adjusted and regular Pythag weren't off by more than 8 wins either way this season for any team. Over the course of the year that's a maximum of +/- 4% from actual wins. So it does seem to be pretty useful for same-year data. As far as year-after, there are much better predictive models that take into account things like aging, free agency and schedule.

eznark

Banned
MC Safety said:
You have no idea what journalism entails.

If you write about video games for a living, neither do you. (Unless you write at Ars or gamasutra or one of the developer mags, in which case keep up the good work!)

MC Safety

eznark said:
If you write about video games for a living, neither do you. (Unless you write at Ars or gamasutra or one of the developer mags, in which case keep up the good work!)

I've written about games for more than 10 years. I've been a staff editor for some of the best game magazines around.

Trust me when I say you are wrong. Because you are.

Oh, and on topic: The Mets are going to be awful this year.

Doytch

The jacket is vomitlicious, the orange isn't half-bad, assuming there's no yellow piping on those letters on the front.
Windu said:
sooo it's Friday, where is my up and in podcast damnit
F'reals. I'm driving up to Richmond today (SUB-3HR MARATHON BITCHES) and need something to listen to.

MC Safety said:
I've written about games for more than 10 years. I've been a staff editor for some of the best game magazines around.

Trust me when I say you are wrong. Because you are.

Oh, and on topic: The Mets are going to be awful this year.
Hey.

Shut up.

RBH

AnEternalEnigma said:

$90 million?

How in the fuck........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom