• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja Scooter said:
3aPb5.jpg

"Welcome to WacArnold's, how may we help you?"

Just need the Gator on the logo and it be watching Back to the Future pt 2

Sorry, saw the movie on TV the other day

RBH said:
$90 million?

How in the fuck........
Future Earnings Potential.

Again, you underestimate the capital from new revenue streams, such as actually making money from the ballpark since the lease isn't crippling.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
Future Earnings Potential.

Again, you underestimate the capital from new revenue streams, such as actually making money from the ballpark since the lease isn't crippling.

Plus they had to amass at least some cash sitting on such a small payroll.

eznark said:
Plus they had to amass at least some cash sitting on such a small payroll.
Yep. Remember that report that came out a while back about how the Marlins and Pirates were pretty much hoarding money?

JABEE

Windu said:
I wouldn't classify them as people.
I would, but at least they give a damn about their team. They also don't do that racist tomahawk chop.

Also 4 years $50 million on Papelbon. You suck Amaro.

clemenx

Banned
As if I couldn't hate the Phillies enough.

At least we can laugh about the contract. Why the fuck would they reject the Madson one if they're approving that one??

JABEE

clemenx said:
As if I couldn't hate the Phillies enough.

At least we can laugh about the contract. Why the fuck would they reject the Madson one if they're approving that one??
I'm guessing Madson got more. That is the only reason I could understand it. Either way, that is too much for a closer.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
JABEE said:
I'm guessing Madson got more. That is the only reason I could understand it. Either way, that is too much for a closer.
rumors were that there was a 5th year option, maybe he wanted it guaranteed.

JABEE said:
I'm good. I'm just putting that out there to consider when evaluating fans.
If Turner Field wasn't in the shittiest part of Atlanta, more people would go. I know I would go a hell of a lot more. But I have a feeling I've already explained this.

hemtae

I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I'm pretty glad the Sox didn't give him that kind of money, on the other hand, Bard was pretty inconsistent at the start and end of last season.

JABEE

AnEternalEnigma said:
If Turner Field wasn't in the shittiest part of Atlanta, more people would go. I know I would go a hell of a lot more. But I have a feeling I've already explained this.
I'm just responding to Windu's comment.

Windu

I'm surprised that closers are getting this much money when there seems like a decent market this year if you needed a good reliever.

edit:

Closers
Heath Bell (34) - Type A
Jonathan Broxton (28)
Matt Capps (28) - Type A
Francisco Cordero (37) - Type A
Frank Francisco (32) - Type B
Ryan Madson (31) - Type A
Joe Nathan (37)
Jon Rauch (33) - Type B
Francisco Rodriguez (30) - Type A
AnEternalEnigma said:
I love that they make you get off Marta and go through underground Atlanta and then get on a bus to get to the stadium if you want to use Marta (which is horrible aleady) to get to the game. everything about that location is horrible, not to mention there is nothing around the stadium.

I wonder how the marlins stadium will do, it's at the orange bowl site I think.

Windu

BigJonsson said:
What was BJ Ryans contract when he was with the Jays? 11 mil a year wasn't it?
something like 5/50, which is probably worse when you factor in inflation

edit: baseball prospectus says 47.

4 mil
7 mil
12 mil
12 mil
12 mil

Windu said:
looks like Jamey Carroll is going to sign with the twins
Good to see their new GM is actually smart. Carroll is a severely underrated player. I've had him on my fantasy team the last two seasons and he has been great.

Doytch

Fenix said:
4 years, $35M according to BRef.

Edit: Cot's says 5/47, BRef omits '10 for some reason.
Probably only counts years a player plays for the team. We cut him, and then I think the Cubs picked him up or something, but we were still on the hook....?

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
Good to see their new GM is actually smart. Carroll is a severely underrated player. I've had him on my fantasy team the last two seasons and he has been great.
yeah, getting old though. Capitol Avenue suggested a Carroll, Brendan Ryan combo at short with Carroll being the backup. Oh well. Wonder what it would take to pry away Ryan though. Cheap and an excellent defender.

mYm|17|

AnEternalEnigma said:

I get scared going there. It being near the ghetto and all

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Did the Papelbon deal actually get approved?

Somebody higher up than Amaro needs to veto one of his deals yet again. This is beyond ridiculous.

jesus, now they just need to give Rollins a ridiculously overprice extension. If Lee and/or Halliday lose a step or two, the amount of dead weight on the Phills payroll in a couple years could be hilarious.

Rumor going around that Lew Wolff asked permission to bid on the Dodgers. Please not be true. If Selig and his buddies want to kill another franchise like the A's I don't know what I'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom