• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Because Feliz was a starter his whole career, was a top prospect as a starter, and has the talent to be a torp and quite frankly has more value as a starting pitcher. Most rangers fans think this move was LONG overdue. Closers are literally a dime a dozen.

Is your rotation set at the moment? Looks like I'm heading there a few weeks earlier.

You wasted all those words just to still be wrong. Jesus, all I have to do is point to last year's thread. Your trolling is Lovingsteam-bad, just quit it already.

Speaking of Revisionist History... here's a interesting piece on Tsuyoshi Nishioka.

last year is the shock of the new. frank, 2007 was bad. BAD. I feel your pain. but blowing a division an making it an all time record is WORSE dude. I feel your pain. (also, who's lovingsteam??)

cashman

Banned
Darvish is the 3rd starter for sure. Only Feliz/Harrison are up in the air as to which order they will go.

Feliz is definitely number 5. Harrison has been great this Spring Training, and they'll keep Feliz's IP total down.

Wouldn't the best starter in your rotation normally be considered the ace?

Warsh will support the vets, and I think Holland is still one good year away from getting the title of ace.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Feliz needs to still work on his changeup, but i agree with the decision to put him back in the rotation. He is a waste if you put him in the bullpen.

RBH

BOSTON (CBS) — In some local sports circles, WWE superstar John Cena is a legend. The Massachusetts native and Springfield College alum has gone on to professional wrestling championships and starring roles in movies, and he even sported Celtics gear in a playoff game in Orlando, making the locals proud.

However, when Cena started getting spotted wearing Rays jerseys and going to games in Tampa, the tide turned.

“Everybody, especially in the Boston area, literally wants me tried as a witch and burned at the stake,” Cena told Jimmy Traina on the SI Hot Clicks Podcast. “And I admire that about true Boston fans. Boston is a fantastic sports city.”

John Cena said he grew up a Red Sox fan in northeastern Mass., but the massive changes to the team and the atmosphere at Fenway Park led to him becoming more enamored with the Rays.

“Fenway Park was a very different atmosphere when I used to go,” he said. “And I’ve seen that place become a destination. I’ve seen it become a place where you go and buy a pink ball cap and a pink T-shirt and you don’t know anybody on the team and you just enjoy the game.”

Beyond the fans at Fenway, though, Cena said the Red Sox lost their identity as the lovable underdogs.

“The Red Sox also by design have become the team that the Red Sox used to hate. They’ve become the Yankees,” he told Traina. “They spend mega, mega money on talent and usually nine out of 10 times they’re in a bidding war with the Yankees for talent.”

Cena explained how the way the Rays play baseball and seem to love it drew him in, even if the seats remain largely empty down in Tampa.

“They just somehow make it happen,” Cena said of the Rays. “They’re what the Red Sox used to be. Like, throw together a bunch of jumbled up dudes and hope that it happens.”

Regarding the Rays’ inability to sell out playoff games?

“That’s sad. That’s sad,” Cena told Traina. “But they’re a team that loves baseball, and I dig watching them.”

Despite his disenchantment with the Red Sox, Cena said he still follows the team.

“I’m a sports fan. I still watch the Sox,” he said. “I get NESN at the house. I still hear RemDawg [Jerry Remy] call the games. … I guess, like I said earlier about my character, I’ve always been me. When someone changes that drastically, it’s like, ‘Ah the franchise turned their back on me as a fan. We used to be a bunch of rugged bums. Now we’re a bunch of high end guys.’ I don’t know, it’s tough.”

Traina made sure to ask Cena one more Boston sports question in the podcast, and it involved a certain quarterback by the name of Tim Tebow.

“You know what? I’ve questioned so many of Belichick’s decisions, and he always makes me look like an idiot,” Cena said. “He would know exactly what to do with Tim Tebow.”

Despite all the Red Sox feelings, Cena hardly holds a grudge. When came to Boston this month for Monday Night Raw, he was roundly booed by the hometown crowd. Based on his own feelings toward the Red Sox, he understand the fans’ feelings.

“With constant success comes animosity, and I’m the perfect example,” he said. “I like the Rays for other reasons that I don’t like the Red Sox. And it’s exactly why people boo me out there.”

Despite his Celtics ties, Cena’s also been seen wearing a Lakers jersey and a Flyers jersey, but those topics weren’t covered. Maybe they will be in the next podcast.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...culture-turned-him-away-from-red-sox-to-rays/

VKb7Q.jpg

cashman

Banned
Feliz needs to still work on his changeup, but i agree with the decision to put him back in the rotation. He is a waste if you put him in the bullpen.

He was developing pretty good offspeed stuff and then the bullpen really stunted his development.

Hell he used to throw this 90 mph change/split type thing

FelizChangeup2_reduced_medium.gif

I haven't seen it since 09

Rubio.jpg

You don't say...

Closers are definitely not a dime a dozen. The Phils wouldnt have won the Ws without Lidge being perfect that season. They absolutely need a top tier closer this year since they figure to play so many close games. You can say that the guy they got isnt top teir but he was the best available so there wasnt much else they could do.

Windu

Closers are definitely not a dime a dozen. The Phils wouldnt have won the Ws without Lidge being perfect that season. They absolutely need a top tier closer this year since they figure to play so many close games. You can say that the guy they got isnt top teir but he was the best available so there wasnt much else they could do.
he is top tier. And you don't need a "closer", you just need a few good relievers capable of pitching in high leverage situations. Which I guess a closer would be one of them...usually.

he is top tier. And you don't need a "closer", you just need a few good relievers capable of pitching in high leverage situations. Which I guess a closer would be one of them...usually.

The Phils had no one on their team that they could trust to close games for them, they had to get someone.

Windu

The Phils had no one on their team that they could trust to close games for them, they had to get someone.
yeah i agree they needed another reliever. Madson was one of the best in the game, but Papelbon is just as good. Bastardo i think would have been fine in those situations though, but you need more than one.

Ryan Madson, 8.25 mil.

Papelbon, 4 years, 50 mil. Vesting year and incentives could push value to 63.5 million.

lol.

Except Madson wanted 4 years $44 million. The 1 year deal he took from the Reds he never would have taken from the Phils, plus there is no way they could have waited and hoped that he wouldnt get any other offers.

yeah i agree they needed another reliever. Madson was one of the best in the game, but Papelbon is just as good. Bastardo i think would have been fine in those situations though, but you need more than one.

There was a lot of talk about making Bastardo the closer this year, or at least giving him a shot at it, but he fell apart so badly in September last year, no way could they risk it this year.

Sanjuro

Yep, this will get some use.

Has we decided who will be putting up the Opening Day thread as of yet?

I don't see it as a weird "passing the torch" type honor. I'll throw one up with the GAFer/Team images. If someone else definitely wants to make it I can forward the images and such.

Enron

Banned
Except Madson wanted 4 years $44 million. The 1 year deal he took from the Reds he never would have taken from the Phils, plus there is no way they could have waited and hoped that he wouldnt get any other offers.

There was a lot of talk about making Bastardo the closer this year, or at least giving him a shot at it, but he fell apart so badly in September last year, no way could they risk it this year.

Doesn't matter. The guy you had closing for you signed for 55 million less than the guy you signed. lolz.

The Phils would have been better off just running bastardo out there or acquiring/promoting another guy that profiles as a setup man. Either way would have been way cheaper.

Oxx

I only started watching this crazy American sport because I thought Chipper was a funny name.

It won't be the same without him.

eznark

Banned
Aoki is really fucking pissing me off. Piece of shit no stick douche bag is going to steal a roster spot from Schafer simgply because we gave him a tiny bit of cash. I ask you, what the fuck good is a fifth outfielder that cannot hit. If we need a defensive replacement, we bring in whichever platoon CF'er didn't start. Even if we needed a defensive replacement...Schafer is a better God damned defender AND he can hit.

God damn it why can't baseball start! Brewers spring is so uninteresting and uneventful that I am fired up over the fifth outfielder...

BFIB

Agreed.

For all the moves that were done this offseason, this ST has been rather boring. Not even Miguel Cabrera getting hit in the face has livened me up.

Bring on Opening Day!

Windu

Chipper to retire at the end of the season.

Goodnight, sweet prince.
:(

His Career line is .304/.402/.533. I wonder what he would have to hit to stay above .300/.400 (i'm lazy).

edit: last series for (regular season) chipper in Atlanta....is against the mets

edit: press conference at 11:30

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
:(

His Career line is .304/.402/.533. I wonder what he would have to hit to stay above .300/.400 (i'm lazy).

Well he'll probably spend half the season on the DL so he does have a pretty good chance of keeping it.

Larry should be a first ballot hof'er. Get the feeling he won't be though.

Talon

Hooters all across the country should be on full alert.

The Braves with Chipper are pretty much all I've ever known. Times are a changing.

h3ro

I don't see it as a weird "passing the torch" type honor. I'll throw one up with the GAFer/Team images. If someone else definitely wants to make it I can forward the images and such.

That works for me, if no one called it, I was gonna ask if you would do it since you made the roster pics, etc.

I'm excited for the season, bring on the beer and fried chicken!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just stopping by to say that, even as an extremely causal baseball fan (hate me, but I only watch it when I'm at my brother's house) it's a bit sad to see Chipper Jones retire. Chipper was my brother's idol when he was young, and he had baseball cards and posters of him everywhere. If someone mentioned baseball to me when I was young, I would probably mention Bobby Cox, Greg Maddox, John Smokes, Tom Glavine, Andrew Jones, and mostly Chipper Jones.

As weird as it was last year to watch a Braves game without Bobby Cox was, it will be even twice as weird to not see Chipper Jones over at Third Base. Just another sign of how the world has changed, and how much we have all grown up....

the saddest day of my life was when bobby bonilla announced his retirement.

i wish there was some way for us to still keep him on the payroll =(

Jon

the saddest day of my life was when bobby bonilla announced his retirement.

i wish there was some way for us to still keep him on the payroll =(

I read this, and immediately daydreamed of a Bobby Bonilla/E.T. hybrid creature in a meeting with Jeff Wilpon.

Wilpon: "Do you really have to go, Bobby?"

Bonilla Creature: "I'll be...right here." *Reaches finger out, and taps on checkbook.*

h3ro

The day the Yanks traded Danny Tartabull for Ruben Sierra was the saddest day of my life.

For the Yanks, it was a Tuesday.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just stopping by to say that, even as an extremely causal baseball fan (hate me, but I only watch it when I'm at my brother's house) it's a bit sad to see Chipper Jones retire. Chipper was my brother's idol when he was young, and he had baseball cards and posters of him everywhere. If someone mentioned baseball to me when I was young, I would probably mention Bobby Cox, Greg Maddox, John Smokes, Tom Glavine, Andrew Jones, and mostly Chipper Jones.

As weird as it was last year to watch a Braves game without Bobby Cox was, it will be even twice as weird to not see Chipper Jones over at Third Base. Just another sign of how the world has changed, and how much we have all grown up....

Smotlzy :(

Back when I actually followed Baseball (up till like 98/99), Atlanta was who I pulled for. Chipper's one of the first players who started playing after I started keeping up, and retire at the end of a long career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom