• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so after mo, jeter and chipper retire will there be any more players that stick with one team their entire career (and for that long)? I guess maybe some of the current red sox players have a chance (pedrioia).

h3ro

so after mo, jeter and chipper retire will there be any more players that stick with one team their entire career (and for that long)? I guess maybe some of the current red sox players have a chance (pedrioia).

Robbie Cano, don't ya know.

ummmmm wow like Mike Pelfrey doesn't even exist to you..first round pick 2004 straight from mets system..

eznark

Banned

I think we will see a surge of it with star players. Guys like Tulo and Braun who signed long term extensions are likely to be most valuable to their existing teams come next contract time.

JABEE

Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley?

cashman

Banned
Chipper was one of my favorite players when I was younger :(.

The only ranger I could see staying his whole career here is holland. Kinsler and andrus will have to wait to see how the profar situation plays out.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Oh Chipper. You will always be my favourite. <3

And thank you for announcing it in advance, now the team can set out a clear succession plan.

newjeruse

Mets fan friend: Kind of surreal that Chipper is retiring.
Me: You should go to Citi Field and boo him at his last game in NY.
Mets fan friend: NLCS tickets aren't available yet.

LOL.

Windu

I think we will see a surge of it with star players. Guys like Tulo and Braun who signed long term extensions are likely to be most valuable to their existing teams come next contract time.
heh yeah i forgot that they are signed till their 36/37 age seasons. Insane.
Robbie Cano, don't ya know.
yep, probably a good candidate.
Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley?
hmm we'll see. Utley is a FA after 2013 and Rollins 2015. Rollins is declining and Utley has the knee problems. I can see both of them signing another contract though. I'd say Utley is the more likely choice to end his career with the Phillies. And then there is Howard, he is signed till 2017. He would be 38 when he hits FA. If he is willing to take a bench job at that time then i could see him staying but because 1B is such a high offensive position i think the phillies will let him go. Then again i wouldn't be surprised to see them sign him to a 10 yr 200 million contract 2 years before his current contract is up.
...And hopefully Cole Hamels.
pfft, dude is walking after 2012. Thank your dumb GM and his stupid contracts for that.

edit: hmm one of his dumb contracts is coming off the books (blanton) so maybe they will have a chance with him..he will get a shit ton of money though.
It's gotta feel weird to win the World Series in your first full season, never again afterward.
2012 BELIEVE

Jangocube

Banned
Chipper is finally gonna hang it up after this year eh? He's my dad's favorite player =(

Oh, and the Orioles are trying to trade Mark Reynolds and Kevin Gregg. Who wants Gregg for a couple buckets of sunflower seeds? Preferably ranch, only David. Not some off brand crap seeds please.

BFIB

Seeing Chipper retire makes me feel old.

Braves are about to get a huge influx into the hall over the next decade. Who's going to be first ballot?

Windu

Seeing Chipper retire makes me feel old.

Braves are about to get a huge influx into the hall over the next decade. Who's going to be first ballot?
I think managers only have to wait a few years so probably Bobby Cox. Then Maddux/Glavine (2014) and year after that Smoltz (2015) assuming he is first ballot. Then Chipper (2017) and 30 years from now Andruw.

edit: actually bobby becomes eligible in 2014. That should be a fun ballot.

McNei1y

This nats game is looking like their 2007 year. 8 Strikeouts for Garcia and 8 ER for Gio? Better get the terrible out now before the season.

Macattk15

Ichiro to a lesser extent. Felix will make his entire career with the M's.

BFIB

This nats game is looking like their 2007 year. 8 Strikeouts for Garcia and 8 ER for Gio? Better get the terrible out now before the season.

If Carp is out for a long stretch (which all signs point to yes), we'll be more than happy to take Lannan off your hands.

McNei1y

If Carp is out for a long stretch (which all signs point to yes), we'll be more than happy to take Lannan off your hands.

Hey as long as you have something that we can slot into OF/leadoff position. I think Gerardo Parra is our main target now and Lannan might be a part of a deal over there. I don't know if we're trading Lannan though at the moment. We don't even have a 5th starter now that Wang is out for some time.

This team has like 4-5 potential starters that are some sort of injured. LaRoche, Morse, Storen, Wang, Ankiel(sorta)

Gruco

Banned
I don't even know what to say to Chipper leaving. For some reason it's a little bit more sad than Bobby or Smoltz. Maybe because he's the last man standing from that era. A little sad that he won't make it to 500 HR. He'll always have 1999 and 2008, at least. Hope he stays healthy enough to get a good one in.

McNei1y

If we trade Parra for pitching, I'll flip my shit.

I'm sure it wont happen because it is a weak trade offer to begin with. We really need a leadoff OF type so hopefully we do something about it though. With this garbage offense, we need someone to get on base to at least have a chance.

Iceman

I don't even know what to say to Chipper leaving. For some reason it's a little bit more sad than Bobby or Smoltz. Maybe because he's the last man standing from that era. A little sad that he won't make it to 500 HR. He'll always have 1999 and 2008, at least. Hope he stays healthy enough to get a good one in.

Hey, 46 home runs is totally doable. Of course, he's got to do that in less than 50 games somehow. Maybe they'll allow him to get on that Bonds/Sosa/McGwire/Rocket diet for his last season.

h3ro

I heard on ESPN radio the other day that the Yankees are shopping him.
80XVP.jpg

The time the Tigers traded Cecil Fielder for Ruben Sierra was the saddest day of my life.
Does this mean we're gonna sign Tartabull's spawn to a terrible contract? :/

rekameohs

Banned
Has this been posted?

Baseball America's Organizational Talent Rankings

1. Texas Rangers
2. Kansas City Royals
3. San Diego Padres
4. Arizona Diamondbacks
5. Toronto Blue Jays
6. Seattle Mariners
7. Oakland Athletics
8. Tampa Bay Rays
9. Boston Red Sox
10. St. Louis Cardinals
11. Pittsburgh Pirates
12. Washington Nationals
13. New York Yankees
14. Chicago Cubs
15. Atlanta Braves
16. Cincinnati Reds
17. Colorado Rockies
18. Houston Astros
19. Los Angeles Angels
20. Minnesota Twins
21. Baltimore Orioles
22. San Francisco Giants
23. Detroit Tigers
24. Los Angeles Dodgers
25. New York Mets
26. Milwaukee Brewers
27. Philadelphia Phillies
28. Miami Marlins
29. Cleveland Indians
30. Chicago White Sox

Seems like they agree about the Phillies making dumb decisions. Also like the Dbacks at number 4 ! :p

BFIB

Before last season, the Cards were ranked by a few outlets as one of the worst Organizational Talent ballclubs out there.

Amazing how quickly that can turn around, despite having pretty much the same minor league talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom