• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
250-260 million?

Can't blame the Cards for not matching that. I wanted to keep him but that is enough of an overbid that I can deal with it. Sucks to see him go but at least he's not in the NL. Good luck to him but I hope management uses our remaining resources wisely.

bluemax

Banned
The one thing we shouldn't do is try to break the bank by signing Fielder. We've already got a deficit of talent on our team, signing Fielder alone wouldn't make up that difference and now that they've got both Wilson and Pujols.

It would be nice to have a legitimate slugger on our team but I don't know how you top two juggernauts of a team in Texas and Anaheim.

I say we sign Fielder, Darvish and Arthur Rhodes.

That'll show them!

Braves pick up Robert Fish from the Angels. Your move, Marlins.

You got the wrong fish related Angels player. Mike Trout is the one you want.

Suggestions?

FYI, just heard from a second "inside source" that is of dubious quality the Brewers are in fact on the cusp of signing him. Take that for what it is worth, which is essentially not a lot. This guy has been wrong as often as right, despite his position which should afford him some knowledge.

I'd be happy with Furcal. At the very least he doesn't have a sub .300 career OBP like Yuni and Gonzalez.

Maybe Melvin is playing the long game and waiting until Jon Daniels makes Andrus available sometime in the next year or two.

eznark

Banned
I'd be happy with Furcal. At the very least he doesn't have a sub .300 career OBP like Yuni and Gonzalez.

Maybe Melvin is playing the long game and waiting until Jon Daniels makes Andrus available sometime in the next year or two.

I thought Furcal already told the Brewers to pound sand? I'd be thrilled with Furcal.

Macattk15

I think the contract is gonna wreck the Angels towards the end of it ... but man does it suck for the next 3-4 years. If you figure healthy Kendrys production in 20009 and Alberts production last year ... then Pujols isnt a huge huge upgrade for them.

Sure they may be able to have both of them in the same line-up which sure is scary ... but I don't think Kendry will ever be the same again. Who knows though, maybe Pujols goes back to monster 1.1 OPS numbers in the AL West.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ugh. I'd hope they would shoot slightly higher than that. Gonzalez is just a slightly better fielding Yuni.
uh what? Gonzalez is excellent fielder.

Edit: read that wrong. Anyway defense should be your main concern with a SS.
You got the wrong fish related Angels player. Mike Trout is the one you want.
that trade gets worse and worse

Gonzalez's defense is spectacular.

It had gotten laughable watching him hit in 2011 though. But the horrid irony would figure that he was the only guy who exploded and hit with runners in scoring position for the Braves in September.

Dodgers 1B James Loney was arrested for DUI after causing a multiple-car accident on November 14. Wonder how it got covered up for nearly a month.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
If I were the Marlins FO, I would definitely not go for Fielder unless they can land him to a cheap contract that does not go over 5 -- maybe 6 years. Gaby Sanchez is an All-Star first baseman and he comes cheap. They don't need anymore offense unless they really want Cespedes and believe he can be the next big thing.

Let the Cardinals go after Fielder, they need someone at 1B now that Pujols is gone. Still, as a National league team, I think it would be best to let him go to the AL. At least in 4 years they can slide fat-boy into the DH slot ala Big Papi.

BFIB

Mozeilak holding a press conference now.

-Stated he was "surprised" by the Angels offer. Felt that they had a good shot, but the negotiations were never about competing with another team, but what worked best for the Cardinals. Felt their offer was fair enough to compete for the future, and keep him a Cardinal for life.
-Stated he spoke with Albert this morning, and Albert stated he wanted to announce it quickly so the Cardinals weren't handcuffed.
-Stated he never heard from Lozano's group at all over the past few seasons for a new contract. Made it clear to Pujols and Lozano that anytime they wanted to sit down and discuss a new contract, the Cardinals door was open.
-Stated he feels that "This is what Albert wanted, and thats all there is to it"
-Said the Cardinals have been preparing for "Plan B" if Pujols did not return. Said there are "moves coming that may surprise Cardinals fans. We're committed to repeating as World Champions"
-Asked if he felt "betrayed" by Pujols: Mo said "No, not at all. This is business, and this is how business is handled. Some days it works in your favor, some days it doesn't"
-Asked if Pujols is missing a big opportunity by not playing his entire career in St. Louis. Mo stated that he understands the nature of the business, but it would have been a "fun ride" to see Albert in a Cards uni, and only a Cards uni. for his career.

Pretty much it. Overall, Mo said this morning not all parties were notified, so that is why he did not speak to reporters. The deal wasn't finalized, just a verbal agreement, so he did not want to step on anyone's toes by making a statement.

Branduil

So two players who were a couple of the biggest reasons we lost the World Series are now both on the Angels, huh.

Pujols' contract is going to be so bad in a few years.

-Stated he was "surprised" by the Angels offer. Felt that they had a good shot, but the negotiations were never about competing with another team, but what worked best for the Cardinals. Felt their offer was fair enough to compete for the future, and keep him a Cardinal for life.
-Stated he spoke with Albert this morning, and Albert stated he wanted to announce it quickly so the Cardinals weren't handcuffed.
-Stated he never heard from Lozano's group at all over the past few seasons for a new contract. Made it clear to Pujols and Lozano that anytime they wanted to sit down and discuss a new contract, the Cardinals door was open.
-Stated he feels that "This is what Albert wanted, and thats all there is to it"
-Said the Cardinals have been preparing for "Plan B" if Pujols did not return. Said there are "moves coming that may surprise Cardinals fans. We're committed to repeating as World Champions"
-Asked if he felt "betrayed" by Pujols: Mo said "No, not at all. This is business, and this is how business is handled. Some days it works in your favor, some days it doesn't"
-Asked if Pujols is missing a big opportunity by not playing his entire career in St. Louis. Mo stated that he understands the nature of the business, but it would have been a "fun ride" to see Albert in a Cards uni, and only a Cards uni. for his career.

Pretty much it. Overall, Mo said this morning not all parties were notified, so that is why he did not speak to reporters. The deal wasn't finalized, just a verbal agreement, so he did not want to step on anyone's toes by making a statement.
Seems like there's not much animosity between both sides. Wonder what Albert says at his press conference with the Angels.

alphaNoid

Banned
Today is a GOOD day to be an Angels fan
3AQmK.gif

Anaheim_Angels_02-04_cap_logo.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
From a interview with Fredi Gonzalez yesterday:
“But everybody is getting better in the division. The Phillies are the Phillies. The Marlins are getting better. Washington is getting dangerous; they’re getting close. They’ve got some good players. Our expectations are, we should be in the playoffs. But it’s not easy. It’s going to come down to health, who stays healthy.”
Hmm... something's missing...

BFIB

Seems like there's not much animosity between both sides. Wonder what Albert says at his press conference with the Angels.

Pretty much this:

"I felt this is the best opportunity for me to win. Its not about the money, its about winning."

Even though the Angels did not even enter the discussions until the past 24 hrs. And the Cardinals enter 2012 as defending World Champions.

Considering I've never even been able to enjoy a .500 season, a WS loss would be a godsend. Most likely won't be reaching .500 again so 20 years of suck.

You guys have a stud in Starling Marte. The guy can hit and as fast as hell. Nice piece to start in OF or maybe a nice trade chip.

verbum

Well if Pastornicky is going to be the starting SS, then Cody Ross looks more likely as a FA pickup for the Braves.
May work out well. Before the epic collapse, per Frank Wren, we had the 4th best record in all of baseball. That's with Uggla's early season slump, what's his name coming out in middle relief and losing games, Heyward's sophmore slump, Alex Gonzalez in an impressive slump in late July and August, and Chipper hurt. A little luck and we win the division.

Edit: Fingers will be crossed come late March.

McNei1y

Congrats Angels fans. I could imagine today feels pretty awesome. If only my team did something. Now it seems we aren't targeting any FA, we aren't going after Cespedes, we're struggling in getting a CF, and we're not even talking extensions with Zimmerman and co. What a cool offseason so far.

Congrats Angels fans. I could imagine today feels pretty awesome. If only my team did something. Now it seems we aren't targeting any FA, we aren't going after Cespedes, we're struggling in getting a CF, and we're not even talking extensions with Zimmerman and co. What a cool offseason so far.

You guys got Werth last year!

Karakand

If the offer escalated to $300m, Pujols supposedly gave up around $40 million by signing in CA over FL
Even in Tea Party Fantasy Land where high income earners can't tax plan and have to pay the statutory rates I have no idea how one arrives at 40 million in state taxes for Poopjols.

FOOTE

Welp, I'm convinced.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Some fun scuttlebutt from Gammons, Marlins discussed moving HanRam to 2nd base, signing A-Ram and trading a package for Niese once they lost out on Pujols / CJ

Also would love to see what Cards "Plan B" is, I'm going to guess it's just Cuddyer and a couple relievers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom