• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much this:

"I felt this is the best opportunity for me to win. Its not about the money, its about winning."

Even though the Angels did not even enter the discussions until the past 24 hrs. And the Cardinals enter 2012 as defending World Champions.

The Angels are no Orioles but saying it wasn't about money is a load of bullshit. Factoring Pujols himself out of the equation, you can't say the Angels are better positioned than the Cards are competitively. Especially considering our division.

This reeks of Renteria's "disrespect" after 2004.

newjeruse

Some fun scuttlebutt from Gammons, Marlins discussed moving HanRam to 2nd base, signing A-Ram and trading a package for Niese once they lost out on Pujols / CJ

Also would love to see what Cards "Plan B" is, I'm going to guess it's just Cuddyer and a couple relievers.

They must be dead-set on setting some type of record for worst composite infield UZR of all-time.

Some fun scuttlebutt from Gammons, Marlins discussed moving HanRam to 2nd base, signing A-Ram and trading a package for Niese once they lost out on Pujols / CJ

Also would love to see what Cards "Plan B" is, I'm going to guess it's just Cuddyer and a couple relievers.

Makes no sense. What would they do with Infante, who they just signed for 2 years?

Coins

Banned
Today is a GOOD day to be an Angels fan
3AQmK.gif

Anaheim_Angels_02-04_cap_logo.gif

You're crazy. Pujols is falling apart. I'm fucking astonished at that contract. You'll think twice when you watch him limp to first base. In 3 years he will be a good, not great, player who is no where near the amount of money he will be owed. As a Cards fan, I thank you guys profusely by taking him from the Cards.

FOOTE

You're crazy. Pujols is falling apart. I'm fucking astonished at that contract. You'll think twice when you watch him limp to first base. In 3 years he will be a good, not great, player who is no where near the amount of money he will be owed. As a Cards fan, I thank you guys profusely by taking him from the Cards.

Pretty much the way I feel too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Makes no sense. What would they do with Infante, who they just signed for 2 years?

Park him on the bench. Like a couple million dollars is going to stop the Marlins from making a move?

I think the Pujols signing is great. He can give the Angels 5 great years and then fall apart and turn into Ryan Howard. That's still worth it for the Angels.

I'd be pumped if I was an Angels fan today, no question it's super exciting even with the obvious misgivings about Pujols being 45 at the end of his contract. It'll be fascinating to see him adjust and hit in the AL next year.

I am the last person to underrate Lucroy (love that guy!), but I think that teams pushes beyond 90 losses. Yes the pitching is good, but in general struggled within the division...where it turns out they play a lot of their games :(

I'm probably being overly pessimistic but if McGehee plays like he did last year, this team will struggle to average 3 runs a night.

Prince was 5.5 WAR last year. He's the only one leaving besides possibly Saito and Hawkins. I'm optimistic that Gamel can come in and be at least replacement level.

McGehee can't play any worse than he did last year, if he's even on the team.

Alex Gonzales can't play any worse than Yuni B.

Braun may not repeat his stellar year - depends on how much you believe in protection, but he'll remain incredibly good.

Everyone else should at least put up the numbers they did this year.

The Brewers won with pitching last year more than anything. That's how they'll win again next year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Am I the only one believing this experiment in Miami is going to be horribly delicious in it's current state?

I don't think they're nearly done yet but I agree that the Marlins constructed as is right now aren't some kind of juggernaut. Borderline playoff team with the potential for some amazing massive clubhouse blow ups.

Sanjuro

Pujols would have been like signing the Godfather, getting a couple seasons of DeNiro and then flat out Brando.

Right now they just got a couple of Fredos and a Sonny.

They didn't even get Michael!

ZeroRay

Marlins right now are a wild card team at best.

If the front office is serious, we should stock up on some more talent next off season. Or firesale, whichever.

clemenx

Banned
Marlins season mostly depends on how Josh Johnson, Anibal and Nolasco do, if they don't get another pitcher.
I think they're fine like this. The problem is the strength of the division (lolol Mets)

G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO
149 539 65 137 257 31 1 29 87 25 6 120 9 4 254 . 291 . 477 .768 1.26

so what will they do with Trumbo now?

I second him at 3rd. But what the odds Pujols gonna be on the field more than 100 games? I see him used alot as a DH and use Trumbo at 1B also.

verbum

6:22pm: The Nationals have interest in Darvish, writes Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post. GM Mike Rizzo didn't divulge whether the Nats plan to bid, but his refusal to comment suggests to Kilgore that they will.

4:50pm: Now that Darvish has been posted, teams will have until 4:00pm CST on December 14th (four business days) to submit bids, tweets Buster Olney.
From MLB Rumors.
So the Nats may make a move. It will be interesting with the Nats, Blue Jays, Yankees(lukewarm?), and Rangers all in contention.

Does a 1.78 ERA in Japan mean much here?

McNei1y

From MLB Rumors.
So the Nats may make a move. It will be interesting with the Nats, Blue Jays, Yankees(lukewarm?), and Rangers all in contention.

I don't know but his stuff sure is nasty and I don't see that changing from that league to the MLB. The Japanese league uses different sized/textured baseballs right?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
From MLB Rumors.

Colby Lewis is Yu Darvish.

I don't really agree with the analogy at all given Colby's pretty abnormal career trajectory and Yu basically being the age of a legitimate prospect with a ton more upside entering the league but it's interesting none the less.

bozeman

Angels are probably hoping for a championship or 2 within the next 5 or 6 years and then Pujols chasing records after that. Either way, they fill their seats and get people to tune in for their new TV contract.

hokahey

Angels are probably hoping for a championship or 2 within the next 5 or 6 years and then Pujols chasing records after that. Either way, they fill their seats and get people to tune in for their new TV contract.
Until Pujols breaks down completely. Im not convinced he has more than a few good years left, and his elite days may be over.

Moreno, who watched the Angels fall short in recent years trying to lure free agents Carl Crawford, Mark Teixeira, Adrian Beltre and CC Sabathia, took the reins. He made two impassioned calls to Pujols. He told Pujols that they planned to also sign Wilson. They weren't going to stop being aggressive in the market until they won a World Series championship, their first since 2002 and first under Moreno.

Huh.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
At least we'll get exciting rivalry matchups between the Astros and the Athletics. Who wouldn't want to watch those series'?

I *ahem* watch As games *looks around* from time ...to time *cough*

I like watching the AAA players who play in my city go to MLB.

newjeruse

Hmmmm howwww cheap?

Edit: Baseball video game question - How/When would one find out if EA decides to make a new a baseball game this year? Would they have already announced it or do we (xbox owners) still have a chance?

Can't see it coming this season. A license would have already had to have been negotiated, which you would surely hear about.

Corran Horn

2K's contract ends 2012 right? So I guess one more year of 2k baseball.

MLB the show is where its at anyway, but I wouldnt mind some competition. I would just be scared someone would buy the rights for MLB games and not allow first party games.

2K's contract ends 2012 right? So I guess one more year of 2k baseball.

MLB the show is where its at anyway, but I wouldnt mind some competition. I would just be scared someone would buy the rights for MLB games and not allow first party games.

That's what 2K tried to do in 2005, but MLB wouldn't go for it. They had to settle for multi-console exclusivity. There was never anything stopping EA from making 360-only MLB games.

McNei1y

Well the 5$ still interests me. Kind of outrageous its "3$" for 2-3 more inches of beer lol. Nats park sells beer for like 7.50-8 though so I'll still take that 5$ price.

Can't see it coming this season. A license would have already had to have been negotiated, which you would surely hear about.

Damn. The 2k-EA agreement ends in 2012. I was hoping we'd get an MVP baseball franchise :( I'm so tired of not having a quality baseball game.

Corran Horn

Well the 5$ still interests me. Kind of outrageous its "3$" for 2-3 more inches of beer lol. Nats park sells beer for like 7.50-8 though so I'll still take that 5$ price.

Damn. The 2k-EA agreement ends in 2012. I was hoping we'd get an MVP baseball franchise :( I'm so tired of not having a quality baseball game.

Its decent price ya. I never get beers at Giants games because its not worth it, just go to bars outside the park for a pre game buzz.

I want MVP back too...but imagine how bad that first game would be after they have not done baseball in so long lol.

McNei1y

Its decent price ya. I never get beers at Giants games because its not worth it, just go to bars outside the park for a pre game buzz.

I want MVP back too...but imagine how bad that first game would be after they have not done baseball in so long lol.

Yeah. Pregaming isn't so bad but it is the only option. I can't wait until D.C. builds up around the area and opens up bars and such. It's such an abyss around the park.

I wouldn't think MVP would be too bad. Plus, its competition is 2k. All they really need to do is just take the MVP 05 code and improve on it for the first game. I guess that means the first baseball game will be next gen. Not bad.

Coins

Banned
Projecting Albert using ZIPs:

YR AVG OBP SLG HR RBI WAR
'12 .302 .388 .564 37 100 6.6
'13 .296 .383 .538 32 92 5.7
'14 .292 .376 .523 30 87 5.1
'15 .287 .366 .506 27 80 4.3
'16 .281 .353 .484 24 73 3.5
'17 .274 .341 .468 22 67 2.8
'18 .268 .328 .448 19 60 2.1
'19 .259 .314 .424 16 52 1.4
'20 .251 .298 .399 11 37 0.7
'21 .249 .291 .380 7 25 0.2

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=law_keith&id=7330190&_slug_=albert-pujols-contract-los-angeles-angels-long-term-problem&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fblog%3fname%3dlaw_keith%26id%3d7330190%26_slug_%3dalbert-pujols-contract-los-angeles-angels-long-term-problem

The article is one of the insider articles on ESPN. ZIPS is something from Fangraphs based on sabermetrics.

... Wow. Sure hope Pujols stays healthy out in Anaheim. That's a lot to pay for a DH. [/snark]

Also, Tigers sign Dotel, which means Zumaya is gone gone gone. I shall miss his fastballs, but I will not miss him getting fucking hurt all the damn time. Would like to shore up our rotation a bit more but I dunno who else we could go get for a #4 or 5 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom