• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Darvish bid is over 51.1MM.
farewell-piccolo-clip_2.jpg

"What, 51.1 million? NO WAY!!!"

Mariners and George Sherrill have agreed to a one-year, $1.1 million deal.

Sherrill comes full circle with the Mariners. He originally played for the Mariners before being traded in a five-player package that also included Adam Jones to the Orioles in exchange for Erik Bedard on February 8, 2008.

yeah but it's also a graveyard of flash in the pan and has beens....
Duda isn't even a prospect going by past Met reports. I'll take that chance especially now that Duda's biggest knock (defense) will become less of an issue in Citi. The one thing Mets like about him is he makes pretty good contact and the ball jumps off his bat. He loses confidence very easily though.

Macattk15

Mariners and George Sherrill have agreed to a one-year, $1.1 million deal.

Sherrill comes full circle with the Mariners. He originally played for the Mariners before being traded in a five-player package that also included Adam Jones to the Orioles in exchange for Erik Bedard on February 8, 2008.

And we traded Bedard and got back Trayvon Robinson ... a young CF'er prospect (Adam Jones) ... it really HAS come full circle!

eznark

Banned
Loving what the Padres are doing out there. They're doing a good job selling high on the guys they have fallen out of love with. I'd be super wary of trading for Rizzo at this point. No one knows him better than SD, and they want to dump him. They should definitely wait until after Prince signs though (unless the Cubs are the main player in Rizzo). It'll be funny when they move Rizzo for Trey McNutt. Wrap up GM of the year at that point.

Sickels has a nice write up of the prospects the Reds dealt:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011...randal-alonso-boxberger-reds-padres#storyjump

Loving what the Padres are doing out there. They're doing a good job selling high on the guys they have fallen out of love with. I'd be super wary of trading for Rizzo at this point. No one knows him better than SD, and they want to dump him. They should definitely wait until after Prince signs though (unless the Cubs are the main player in Rizzo). It'll be funny when they move Rizzo for Trey McNutt. Wrap up GM of the year at that point.

Sickels has a nice write up of the prospects the Reds dealt:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011...randal-alonso-boxberger-reds-padres#storyjump
And they should get a nice haul for Rizzo too. Maybe get some pitching prospects from the Rays.

eznark

Banned
Cubs and Padres are working out a deal that would send Anthony Rizzo to the Cubs and Matt Garza to the Padres.

Yeah, I'm reading that too. Not a bad deal. Get Garza, Volquez and 3 top tier prospects for guys you've given up on.

If they do that though, it makes me really wary of Latos' shoulder, even more so than before.

Surprised they can only get Garza for Rizzo though, has his stock (Rizzo's) fallen that far? Also Garza isn't exactly a spring chicken, seems like a strange transition move for the Pads, figured they'd want a couple of younger prospects for Rizzo. Pitching in Petco and the NL West could be just what Garza's career needs though.

eznark

Banned
Surprised they can only get Garza for Rizzo though, has his stock (Rizzo's) fallen that far? Also Garza isn't exactly a spring chicken, seems like a strange transition move for the Pads, figured they'd want a couple of younger prospects for Rizzo. Pitching in Petco and the NL West could be just what Garza's career needs though.

Well, I think those are probably the core parts of the deal. I'd imagine (hope?) that the Padres would get farm arms too. You have to realize that Buster Olney and Verducci and the like probably can't name more than ten guys in all of the minors, they aren't going to bother naming names on what they consider throw ins.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
DBacks signed Kubel, 2 years 15 million. Awful. The guy was worse than Parra in every possible way. Really don't get it. Total waste of money.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How much money? He can be a PH and play some 1st. I very much doubt they're benching a gold glover who was decent with the bat.

2 years 15 million with a 3rd year option (not sure if its player or team).

Ken Rosenthal
Source: Kubel will play LF for the #Dbacks, with Parra likely becoming the fourth outfielder

It seems to me that they're probably going to trade Parra, selling high and thinking last year's production isn't going to be repeated. Otherwise I don't really get the move.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Kubel wasn't great in the field, and spent most of his time at DH in Minnesota. Watching him pretty regularly over the years, I can say he looked much more comfortable in the field last year. The advanced fielding metrics say he was better last year as well, but it's definitely a small sample size.

Moving to the NL and moving into a more hitter friendly park than Target Field will definitely help him. I think it's a bit of an overpay for him, but I think he'll put up decent numbers for a couple more years.

It's just a shame his knees got destroyed in the minors, he could've been a pretty great player if he could run better.

Fenix

Wilner is awfully certain that the Jays have no intentions of signing Fielder, so let's all put that pipe dream to rest.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Brewers win the rights to Aoki.

Sweet.

Gotta say this is kind of garbage. They're going to evaluate and work him out as if he was a 16 year old Dominican kid, as if they did no kind of scouting and evaluation on him before hand. Union or the league office should really put their foot down on this, it's really ridiculous.

Gotta say this is kind of garbage. They're going to evaluate and work him out as if he was a 16 year old Dominican kid, as if they did no kind of scouting and evaluation on him before hand. Union or the league office should really put their foot down on this, it's really ridiculous.

if Aoki had made a musical montage video tape showing all his skills maybe they wouldn't have to do this.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Buster Olney
Most folks guessing/assuming Jays have won Darvish bidding. But just got off the phone with an AL exec who speculates smart $ is on Rangers.

Buster Olney
Something else being seen as possible clue that TEX is winning bidder (again, this is speculation): TOR stayed in Latos conversation late.

Most of the scuttlebutt coming out of Japan that it was the Rangers who won his rights and not the Jays. Odd most people assume it was the Jays who won his rights. Either way it all ends in about 7 hours or so.

Sanjuro

Screw that. I want Blue Jays to get Darvish That way Valentine can make strangely perverse comments to him before the game and nobody will ever know!

rekameohs

Banned
Can't say I like the Kubel signing. They have a staff of predominately pitch-to-contact pitchers , and having the best defensive outfield in the NL really helped make that effective. I guess we need a LH power bat though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom