• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Honestly, I would take reports from Japan with a grain of salt. They know less about the bidding than American reporters do.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
RIP Travis Snider.

Edit: Also, assuming Texas won the bidding so I can prepare myself for the ridiculous backlash by casual Jays fans in the event we don't win.

I think I'm ready to hear my friends bitch about it. Bring it on I say.

Sanjuro

I'm still holding out for,

Due to a clerical error, the Florida Marlins won the bidding. Therefore the Miami Marlins will have to wait until next season to negotiate.

Oh my God they are going to make a professional baseball player play baseball! What fuckers!
Lol. Baseball players can not swing a bat in the off-season. What if his arms break off? Brewers should sign him without watching his run any damn drills at all.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, Lawrie looked pretty damn good at 3B. Shocked since all I heard was bad things when he was still in the minors.

Eh, he barely played any third before he was traded. Most of the talk of his shitty defense was at second.

Nationals signed Mike Cameron. And you were worried they weren't going to make a splash, Sharp!

eznark

Banned
Cameron's deal is only a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.

Gotta say this is kind of garbage. They're going to evaluate and work him out as if he was a 16 year old Dominican kid, as if they did no kind of scouting and evaluation on him before hand. Union or the league office should really put their foot down on this, it's really ridiculous.

Sanjuro

Gotta say this is kind of garbage. They're going to evaluate and work him out as if he was a 16 year old Dominican kid, as if they did no kind of scouting and evaluation on him before hand. Union or the league office should really put their foot down on this, it's really ridiculous.
:jnc

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

This is ridiculous. The posting system is garbage, it sucks. You think any free agent would actually want to play in god damn Milwaukee? Hell no. The only players that sign with the Brewers are the ones who can't find a job anywhere else. Not only does he have to go play for them, MAYBE, they are trying him out like he's some teenager and then maybe they'll sign him.

Sanjuro

This is ridiculous. The posting system is garbage, it sucks. You think any free agent would actually want to play in god damn Milwaukee? Hell no. The only players that sign with the Brewers are the ones who can't find a job anywhere else. Not only does he have to go play for them, MAYBE, they are trying him out like he's some teenager and then maybe they'll sign him.

owRlL.gif

My face if Toronto is winning bidder in the Darvish sweepstakes.

IMO it's going to be texas or #mysteryteam
i love how these "insiders" and sports journos built up toronto all weekend only to come crashing down to earth today and start covering their asses now saying 'texas texas texas'. the negative (casual fan retard) publicity on AA and Rogers is going to be absurd.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather play in Milwaukee than Tampa.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
IMO it's going to be texas or #mysteryteam
i love how these "insiders" and sports journos built up toronto all weekend only to come crashing down to earth today and start covering their asses now saying 'texas texas texas'. the negative (casual fan retard) publicity on AA and Rogers is going to be absurd.

I still think it isn't going to be either Texas or Toronto. I am going with Mystery Team as well.

Reports are out saying Jimmy Rollins' new contract with the Phillies is worth $38 million over 3 years, not $33 million. $11 million 2015 option.

Brinbe

Preparing myself for Darvishpointment.

Sorry all the yuphenisms are already taken.
Ha, I like it... anything different from all the same tired Yu puns gets love here.

And yeah, I'll be a bit disappointed as well, because I'm a fan of/believer in Darvish's stuff and I'd love it if we obtained him... but in the end, we're not losing anything, asset-wise, if he ends up a Ranger or "Mysteryteamer", so can't be upset.

I trust AA to properly evaluate these players and bid what he think is necessary, and if we miss out, I know he'll keep working to add that necessary arm to the rotation.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
LWIB, TicketNews.com reported that the Braves are offering a paperless ticketing option for group sales beginning next season. The tickets are purchased with a credit card, stored on that card and that card is swiped at the gate to allow entry into Turner Field. Ho-hum? Sign of the times? In part, I guess, but has this initiative also been launched to limit the number of Braves tickets available on the secondary market? “The restrictive paperless system will be operated by the team's ticketing partner Ticketmaster, which means the tickets are not easily transferable. Because Ticketmaster's system ties paperless tickets to the credit card used to purchase them, the cardholder must be present in order for the group to gain entry….A spokesperson for the team did not reply to a request for comment.” Earlier this year, TicketNews.com provided more details on Ticketmaster’s paperless option and noted that, “Such paperless tickets cannot be resold on StubHub, TicketsNow, Razorgator or any number of other third-party secondary ticket marketplaces, Web sites or exchanges.”
The Braves paperless offering follows the announcement early in the year that they had launched a “season ticket exchange” on their web site. The “ticket exchange” allows fans interested In purchasing season tickets to “find” one another on the team web site and share tickets. At the time of the announcement TicketNews.com reported, “…the move also is a way for a team to try to keep control of its tickets instead of those tickets ending up on the secondary market.”
In 07, MLBAM signed a deal with secondary ticketing industry leader StubHub. That deal branded StubHub as MLB’s official ticket reseller. At the time, it was widely believed within the industry, and amongst sports biz watchers (including me), that MLB would profit handsomely from this alliance. It seemed pretty straightforward. Ticket resellers were profiting off MLB, and so, why shouldn’t MLB become a reseller and take those profits for themselves? And didn’t MLB also have the largest ticket inventory of the “big 4”? And, as with everything BAM, the deal would allow MLB to centralize/redistribute the newfound revenue. MLB has been proven correct in concluding that secondary ticketing was the present and the future. According to an October feature in SportsBusiness Journal on secondary ticketing in MLB, unique visitors to StubHub have increased from 2.5 million in 07 to more than 12 million today. With the BAM/StubHub deal expiring at the end of the upcoming season, how profitable has secondary ticketing been to MLB? According to SBJ, MLBAM expects to receive in the range of $60 million from StubHub this year. But, within MLB there are plenty of critics of the BAM/StubHub alliance. These critics complain that the burgeoning secondary market has cannibalized their primary ticket sales, including season tickets. In fact, some question if fans any longer see a delineation between the primary and secondary markets. And guess who was widely quoted in the aforementioned SBJ piece? Derek Schiller of the Atlanta Braves said, “I don’t believe there is any bigger obstacle or issue, any bigger threat to the professional team sports marketplace and industry as a whole…This is the single biggest issue facing our industry….The amount of dollars at risk is growing near exponentially. And we absolutely as an industry — and not just baseball — need to manage it.”
The SBJ report notes that last season 8 million MLB tickets were resold on StubHub, an increase of 2 million over the previous season. But along with that dramatic increase, and corresponding StubHub commissions paid to BAM, has come a glut of below face value tickets for many teams. This trend is not particular to MLB, SBJ noting that, “Since 2007, average ticket sales prices on StubHub, regardless of sport, have fallen each year, dropping from $112 per ticket in 2007 to $104 in ’08, $94 in ’09, $84 in ’10 and $82 thus far this year.” Angels executive Robert Alvarado was very outspoken about the BAM/StubHub alliance. “We did it to ourselves, StubHub was a small player. And we blew it up. They’re legitimate now. And it’s killing us. It’s killing us. Location. Price. Just about every advantage we had over the secondary market is gone. It’s the blurring of the lines. Because, in my opinion, we failed to do our due diligence before we jumped into bed with StubHub.”
they better not ruin stubhub with this new paperless system.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?...mlb-plus-tidits&catid=67:pete-toms&Itemid=155

eznark

Banned

He has zero obligation to go try out. Just like Mike Cameron.

MFaVg.gif

rinse82

Are Latos and Darvish mutually exclusive?

You would think if the Jays knew they lost they wouldve infiltrated the local media to prepare the fanbase.

My take: Jays dont have a clue if they won or not

Doytch

You would think if the Jays knew they lost they wouldve infiltrated the local media to prepare the fanbase.

Of course they don't. Only Bud knows who did, not even Nippon does.

Fenix

They're not mutually exclusive at all, one costs money, the other prospects and Jays have lots of both.

The only people who know the winning team are in the commissioner's office.

Edit: Fuck, beaten.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Well I think the Jays would have a clue. If they only bid 35 million and rumors are the winner went above Dice-K's bid then they probably wouldn't be feeling too good about their chances. Of course the rumors could be completely off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom