• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toronto will get a large influx of Japanese tourists (this always applies to Seattle due to Ichiro, I think the same did for the Yankees during Godzilla's tenure), also I guess Rogers is also looking at Japanese Blue Jays broadcasting rights like the aforementioned other teams. Most Japanese I've talked to who are here in Vancouver on holiday usually have a Mariners' game on their to do list. I bet they would add a Toronto trip if Darvish ends up as a Jay.

So it's good for expanding the Blue Jays brand, Rogers makes more money, and the Jays get a potential starting ace in Darvish with tremendous upside.

I can't wait until a J-Pop band sings the anthem.

verbum

A nice article about the Braves' youth movement from Fangraphs:

The bigger risks for the Braves going into 2012 likely involve the health of their veterans such as Chipper Jones (39, and increasingly fragile), Tim Hudson (36, and recovering from back surgery), and Tommy Hanson (25, and recovering from shoulder tendinitis). The Braves should be a highly competitive for a postseason berth in 2012 in large part because of the quality of their young players, not in spite of them.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/will-the-atlanta-braves-youth-movement-doom-their-2012-season/

I am concerned about the depth if one of the vets goes down or Pastornickey proves to be a dud. It seems like the Braves will be living on the edge. Hopefully, the training staff will be proactive and Fredi doesn't wear out the bullpen.

CJ Wilson contract details:

2012: $10 million
2013: $11 million
2014: $16 million
2015: $18 million
2016: $20 million

-- $2.5 million signing bonus
-- Full no-trade clause for 2012-2013
-- Limited no-trade clause for 2014-2016

Rosenthal reporting the Mets are making a run at Gio Gonzalez. Mets have told A's that Jon Niese, Ike Davis, Zach Wheeler, Jenrry Meijia, and Jeurys Familia are untouchable.

Could totally see the A's acquring David Wright and immediately spinning him off to another team for more prospects.
WTF? Those guys aren't untouchable. Sandy even said it himself they're willing to trade Niese if the offer is good enough. Ike they said they wouldn't deal, but they'd listen to offers. The other guys I have no idea what's going on.

Wait Yu Darvish? IN CANADA?

... who let the dogs out?

There is a lot of potential here. I for one can't wait for some sweet Blue Jay'ed marketing.
129108525942749319.jpg

The Ham Fighters ( yes I know it's Nippon Ham fighers) are acting so shameful right now. Not even telling Yu the price of the winning bid or accepting it right away since it is so big.

Come on baby, come on baby
You knew it was time to just let go
'Cause we want to be free
But somehow it's just not that easy
Come on Darlin', hear me Darlin'
'Cause you're a waste of time for me
I'm trying to make you see
That baby you've just got to release me
Release me
Release me

McNei1y

I'd be excited to see if the Nationals are the team to bid 2.5m on Aoki. The guy has some good numbers and would easily be an upgrade on this team. He'd also be a leadoff hitter. I'd be happy with that acquisition!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Darvish 48 mil.
We won’t know anything official until next week, but Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com writes that reports in Japan indicate that the winning bid for Yu Darvish came in around $48 million.

If the $48 million figure proves accurate, it would fall just under the record $51,111,111 sum the Red Sox paid for exclusive negotiating rights with Daisuke Matsuzaka in 2006. They ended up agreeing to a six-year, $52 million contract.

George A. King III of the New York Post reported yesterday that the Blue Jays have the highest bid for Darvish, checking in somewhere between $40-50 million. We’ll have to wait to find out if that’s the case, but the winning team would have 30 days to work out a contract. The 25-year-old right-hander is reportedly seeking a five-year, $75 million deal, which could push the total investment over $120 million for an MLB team.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/17/report-winning-bid-for-yu-darvish-around-48-million/

cashman

Banned
There was a report in a Japanese paper the other day that said the Rangers had won the bidding at 49.04 million, so I'm not gonna believe anything about Darvish until we hear from the MLB

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ken Rosenthal
Source: Reds acquire Latos from Padres. Yonder Alonso among those headed to Pads.

God damn. The Reds have been eerily quiet all offseason but not anymore. Depends on what the other parts are but this looks really good for the Reds. A guy they didn't really have a use for a really damn good SP.

Damn guess that means Votto is going nowhere. Was hoping the M's might be able to pry him out of Cincy with Michael Pineda. The Reds better be ready to give him a fat fucking extension though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Reds
Reds acquire SD’s Mat Latos for Yonder Alonso, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal and Edinson Volquez.

Well it looks a lot better for the Padres now.

clemenx

Banned
Seems stupid trading Grandal and Alonso on the same package for a single player. Several teams have interest in those 2.

I think it looks better for the Padres.

Windu

2011 BA Reds Top 10:
Code:
1.	Devin Mesoraco, c
2.	Billy Hamilton, ss
3.	Yonder Alonso, 1b/of
4.	Yasmani Grandal, c
5.	Zack Cozart, ss
6.	Daniel Corcino, rhp
7.	Robert Stephenson, rhp
8.	DiDi Gregorius, ss
9.	Todd Frazier, 3b/1b/of
10.	Brad Boxberger, rhp
http://www.baseballamerica.com/toda...ganization-top-10-prospects/2012/2612581.html

And Volquez is probably not that much worse than latos. Certainly not enough to include those guys.

eznark

Banned
Grandal should have been a huge chip all on his own. Instead the Reds piss him away. Terrible deal. Padres were 100% moving Latos, how did the reds let themselves get so fleeced. Jesus.

clemenx

Banned
Also the Padres can flip Alonso or Rizzo for more, if they don't see Alonso as a OF.

Really like this for them, though I don't know how their rotation is after Latos.

I also think it's a fleece, Ez. I was surprised most people like it for the Reds even after Grandal.

Windu

Latos is a FA in 2016, Volquez 2014. So i guess there is that.

Mat Latos rhp
1 year/$0.4607M (2011)
1 year/$0.4607M (2011)
re-signed by San Diego 2/27/11
1 year/$0.4078M (2010)
re-signed by San Diego 3/3/10
1 year (2009)
contract purchased by San Diego 7/19/09
drafted 2006 (11-333) (Coconut Creek HS, Fla.)
$1.25M signing bonus
ML service: 2.079

Edinson Volquez rhp
1 year/$1.625M (2011)
1 year/$1.625M (2011)
re-signed by Cincinnati 1/31/11 (avoided arbitration, $2M-$1.3M)
performance bonuses: $25,000 each for 24, 28 starts
1 year/$0.445M (2010)
re-signed by Cincinnati 3/10
1 year/$0.44M (2009)
re-signed by Cincinnati 3/3/09
1 year/$0.3925M (2008)
acquired by Cincinnati in trade from Texas 12/21/07
signed by Cincinnati 2/29/08
1 year/$0.382M (2007)
re-signed 2/07 (split contract paying $83,000 in minors)
1 year/$0.329M (2006)
re-signed by Texas 2/06
contract purchased 8/05
signed 2001 as amateur free agent from the Dominican Republic
ML service: 4.059

Malo

Banned
Good haul for the Padres. I would have liked Latos on the Yankees but after seeing what they got for him, I'm good.

Jim Salisbury
Confirming. Rollins and Phils agreed on three year deal worth about 33 mill with vesting option for fourth. According to Rosenthal it's an easy vest.

Windu

Good haul for the Padres. I would have liked Latos on the Yankees but after seeing what they got for him, I'm good.

Jim Salisbury
Confirming. Rollins and Phils agreed on three year deal worth about 33 mill with vesting option for fourth. According to Rosenthal it's an easy vest.
not as bad as i thought, seems like a fair deal.
If you're a Reds fan, you have to like that deal.
you mean padres fan?

11mill a year is way less then his agent was saying originally. I still hate him as a player and I cant believe I will have to watch him pop out on the first pitch for 4 more years, but at least he didnt get an insane amount of money.

Malo

Banned
11mill a year is way less then his agent was saying originally. I still hate him as a player and I cant believe I will have to watch him pop out on the first pitch for 4 more years, but at least he didnt get an insane amount of money.
Decent deal for the Phillies. I was expecting him to get $14-$15 mil AAV.

Jon

Dude, you really, really take Jimmy for granted. He was clearly the best option.

Dude, you really, really take Jimmy for granted. He was clearly the best option.

I just hate watching him hit so much. I would have loved for the Phils to sign ARam, let Jimmy walk, and let who ever play SS. Rollins skills are in such decline now, at least before you could kind of ignore the fact that he refused to take pitches because he would get big hits, but now he doesnt even do that.

eznark

Banned
Don't think most people get how good Latos is.

David Cameron
10 starters in MLB have 350+ IP and K% beween 23% and 25% last 2 years - Latos in really good company.

Really like this deal for the Reds. NL Central is wide open and they get a great pitcher with 4 more years left and still isn't even arb eligible.

Maybe, but you can pitch significantly more fearless in San Diego than in Cincinnati. He is already a fly ball guy.

I'd love the deal if it was two of the three. Three top tens? Nah, I wouldn't be too thrilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom