• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Beckx

Ah so this is their way of blaming Ben Cherrington without actually blaming Ben Cherrington (which is dumb because it was Larry Lucchino who wanted both).

Looks like you're right:

In a way, Henry’s remarks, which were based on what he described as his look “under the hood” last summer, represented not an indictment of numbers, but instead in how they were being applied by Cherington.

Casey Close(Dexter Fowler's agent) on the Orioles.

“In my 25 years in this business, never before have I witnessed such irresponsible behavior on so many fronts. Both the Orioles front office and members of the media were so busy recklessly spreading rumors that they forgot or simply chose not to concern themselves with the truth. The Orioles’ willful disregard of collectively bargained rules governing free agency and the media’ eager complicity in helping the Orioles violate those rules are reprehensible. Dexter Fowler never reached agreement with the Orioles and did not come close to signing with the club; any suggestion otherwise is only a continuation of an already disturbing trend.”
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/dexter-fowler-agent-orioles-dan-duquette.html

jTYvp7h.gif

jbug617

Banned
Casey Close(Dexter Fowler's agent) on the Orioles.
Orioles fire back.
http://www.masnsports.com/school-of...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Meanwhile, multiple sources confirmed on Tuesday that Fowler agreed to a three-year, $33 million deal with the Orioles. He was expected to arrive in Sarasota today to take his physical. Center fielder Adam Jones said he spoke to Fowler, who relayed how excited he was to join the team.
"He should be on his way here now," Jones said yesterday morning.

Duquette was approached by reporters tonight at the Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce reception, seeking a response to Close's scathing accusations.

"I'm not sure what that statement is about, because his job is to represent his player," Duquette said.

Close obviously was calling the Orioles' integrity into question, choosing to do so two days after reports surfaced of their agreement. Not a word before tonight.

"I didn't really see it that way," Duquette replied. "We were sincere in our efforts to sign the player.

"If the player chooses to take less money to go with another team, that's their choice."
Taking one last poke at Close's statement, Duquette added, "What's he going to say now, that it's not about the money?"

zulux21

Matt Carpenter was rated the 88th best player according to MLB Network, despite having the 11th best WAR the past three years

Such an underrated player
was José Quintana even on the list, he basically has the same WAR (both have right around 13 over the last 3 seasons) on baseball reference lol.

was José Quintana even on the list, he basically has the same WAR (both have right around 13 over the last 3 seasons) on baseball reference lol.

Which is weird since he really only has one plus pitch and it's really not even that great a pitch IMO. Just knows how to get guys.

zulux21

Which is weird since he really only has one plus pitch and it's really not even that great a pitch IMO. Just knows how to get guys.

he reminds me a ton of Mark Buehrle in the sense of someone who isn't impressive when you watch them pitch, but does the job well. I am torn between hoping he stays under the radar for a few more years so the white sox can resign him for cheaper, and hoping he goes and has something like a no hitter so that people can realize the white sox have 2 really solid proven left handers (and have a good chance of a third very solid left hander in rodon)

to be fair a proper playoff push might make people take notice as well... not much to care about the number 2 on the rotation of a non contender lol.

on the plus side both the american league and the national league centrals should be fun to watch this year. though to be fair I don't think any of the divisions look like there will be a clear cut gonna run away with the division. a number of teams look great on paper, but a lot of them are grouped together in divisions... while the ones that look like they could have .500 seasons but won't be amazing are also kind of grouped together lol.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 3m3 minutes ago

Zack Wheeler scheduled to throw off mound Saturday http://es.pn/1T1exZG #NYM #Mets

Adam Rubin @AdamRubinESPN

Odds to Win NL East via Bovada:
#Mets 10/11
#Nats 11/10
#Marlins 6/1
#Braves 25/1
#Phillies 33/1

I don't know why Fowler would rather play Chicago, where there's a log jam in OF, instead of Baltimore, where he can play every day.

And because Maddon rotates OF like crazy so he'll get 350+ AB's anyway.

Schwarber might still struggle against lefties, or work out as a catcher, or Soler might blow, or Heyward might get hurt.

Not like there are no chances for him to play. He's the 4th OF on a super talented team.

George Springer, Carlos Correa, Jake Arrieta, Francisco Lindor,Marcus Stroman, Javy Baez, Carlos Beltran and Yadier Molina have all confirmed they will play for Puerto Rico in 2017 WBC. Correa announced it on his Twitter

Springers mom is from PR.
Arrieta grandfather is from PR.
Stromans mom was born in PR.

And because Maddon rotates OF like crazy so he'll get 350+ AB's anyway.

Schwarber might still struggle against lefties, or work out as a catcher, or Soler might blow, or Heyward might get hurt.

Not like there are no chances for him to play. He's the 4th OF on a super talented team.

But he was getting 3 years guaranteed to play everyday with an already talented lineup, in a competitive division. He's taking a huge risk because if he has a down year as a 4th OFer, he's gonna get lower than what Baltimore offered.

Top Bottom