• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

vern

Just to respond now that I am back from my 8 year.. I mean week long ban.

Chipper may be a moron.......but he's our moron!

And no, I'm not 8 and dying to get an autograph. Just thought it was cool that one of the team's greats was right in my neighborhood.

And no need for the random drive-by insults. Your post has the maturity of an 8-year-old behind it, ironically enough.

sass1.png

sass2.png

The post was I thought obviously in jest, and I offered the very thing that you really wanted, a Chipper autographed ball for free. I think context and the entirety of the message matters with regards to posts and how things are perceived, obviously I didn't make it clear that a) I was very gently ribbing you (seriously I don't think that's much of an insult and I've been called much worse on GAF but eh, whatever) and b) by offering you a Chipper Jones signed ball that I have that I am not posting with the maturity of an 8-year old. But again it doesn't matter. Would have thought I'd have a PM when I got back from the ban asking if you could really have it. Oh well.

I apologize if you really took my insult as some genuine attack on you.

WTF is this shit? Yeah, being able to say hello and shake hands with a hall of famer from your favorite team. What a-hole would want to do that? Fuck outta here with that.

I got to meet Jody Davis last year while he was signing autographs with Fergie Jenkins and 5 other old Cubs at spring training. Told some old stories, ripped my buddy apart for saying something stupid, it was great.

But yeah, what am I, 8? GTFO

This is completely different. Having someone write their name down and shooting the shit with someone is not the same. I would love to have a chat with Barry Bonds, he's also an asshole by all accounts just like Chipper is, but I personally would not give a shit if he wrote his name down for me.

Anyway, again I could have been nicer about it and you can look up there I apologized to the dude. Still, besides people who are trying to sell autographs, what does an adult do with an autographed ball. Genuinely curious and I hope by asking in this way it's ok and I don't get struck down once again.

Was Vernn banned for his assholery, or because he was a Giants fan, Xia?

Calling someone as asshole is worse than saying someone is 8...generally speaking. Good thing you didn't say it directly but instead talked about my behavior and not about me. Kind of like you can call an umpire's call "horseshit," but you can't call the umpire himself "horseshit." Lessons learned for me. And anyway I don't care, call me whatever you want Silverrrr Arrowsss ;)

I hope it was being a Giants fan.

whynotboth.jpg

Hope it's an 8 year long ban.

:O

Trash talk is one thing. More ambiguous personal insults, particularly if you're not a regular and the parties involved can't know if it's meant seriously or not, is another.

I know the whole "don't be insular" thing is a constant concern among the moderation staff in regards to the sports threads, but there's also a concern in being overly harsh given all that's happened in the past.

So if new blood (or people who have primarily lurked before) want to jump in and post, by all means feel free - the sports threads are genearlly very welcoming for newcomers. But also don't post dumb personal insults that aren't obviously facetious or can't in any way be considered as the normal banter that frequently happens. If he had left the post to be just about Chipper being a moron, everyone would have been fine!

On the flip side, regulars also need to not be actively hostile to newcomers either who are genuinely trying to get engaged in the thread. It goes both ways, as they may not know you're just throwing around the usual dumb trash talk. We don't need to scare off potential posters who want to be more active in these threads.

It's just a week.

Again, I think given the context of the entirety of the post it should be clearly tongue-in-cheek, plus the offer of the autographed ball should indicate that I wasn't trying to be an actual dickhead, but I don't have anything against the ban. I understand your reasoning and in general I agree that GAF could be a friendlier more inclusive place, so I'll avoid insults in the future, no matter how I thought it would come across, it clearly didn't.

I know I don't post in baseball threads a lot, for a bunch of reasons (lol bandwagon) but I've been posting in baseball threads on GAF since probably around 2007 (had an account that I lost access to in the great password change of 2011 or whatever year that was, tried to recover it, was told by Evilore and other mod just to open a new account so not an alt... same avatar and everything). Not exactly a newbie.

Is a week the minimum amount of time a ban can be imposed? Just curious. This was my first ban after nearly a decade on the Neo.

According to Fredi, this is the Braves projected rotation to start the season:

Julio Teheran
Matt Wisler
Bud Norris
Kyle Kendrick
Jhoulys Chacin

zulux21

According to Fredi, this is the Braves projected rotation to start the season:

Julio Teheran
Matt Wisler
Bud Norris
Kyle Kendrick
Jhoulys Chacin

I don't like the white sox projected rotation
Sale
Quintana
Rodan
Latos
Danks

I guess Iam hoping john danks gets injured in spring training as that seems to be the only way they will bump that below replacement level pitcher for one of the two kids (johnson (main one), fulmer (longer shot, makes more sense to add him to the rotation around the half point of the season) that not only deserve a shot as the 5th starter but will likely do a much better job than him. But alas big contract = must be in rotation even though he would fit so much better as long relief :/

plus the balance would look better with one of the kids as they are both right handed and the white sox rotation currently has 4 left handers >.<;

I should note, aside from danks I actually like the rest of the rotation, it has a chance of being really solid this year.

RBH

The post was I thought obviously in jest, and I offered the very thing that you really wanted, a Chipper autographed ball for free. I think context and the entirety of the message matters with regards to posts and how things are perceived, obviously I didn't make it clear that a) I was very gently ribbing you (seriously I don't think that's much of an insult and I've been called much worse on GAF but eh, whatever) and b) by offering you a Chipper Jones signed ball that I have that I am not posting with the maturity of an 8-year old. But again it doesn't matter. Would have thought I'd have a PM when I got back from the ban asking if you could really have it. Oh well.

I apologize if you really took my insult as some genuine attack on you.
?

Chipper may be a moron.......but he's our moron!

And no, I'm not 8 and dying to get an autograph. Just thought it was cool that one of the team's greats was right in my neighborhood.

And no need for the random drive-by insults. Your post has the maturity of an 8-year-old behind it, ironically enough.

Just being able to say hello and shake hands with a hall of famer from my favorite team is plenty good enough for me. Have no clue why you're rambling on and on about offering an autographed ball.

Would have thought I'd have a PM when I got back from the ban asking if you could really have it. Oh well.
Either you're a troll or just really dense.

BigAT

Plus there's so many better reasons to attack RBH.

Still watching wrestling in 2016, what are you an 8-year-old?

zroid

Banned
when someone's ban expires usually they don't jump back into the same conversation that got them banned in the first place but what do I know

vern

?

Just being able to say hello and shake hands with a hall of famer from my favorite team is plenty good enough for me. Have no clue why you're rambling on and on about offering an autographed ball.

Either you're a troll or just really dense.

I'll have to go back and check my original post... could have sworn I said I had a Chipper autographed ball in my closet somewhere. If I didn't then again, I apologize. Anyway I meant to offer it if I didn't. I remember when I posted that I was in a hurry.

And yeah I totally understand the wanting to meet your heroes, that's pretty normal.

EDIT: From the original post
If you really want a chipper autograph I might still have a ball he signed for me sitting in my closet somewhere. I'll send to you if you pay me shipping. And if I can find it. Think I have John smoltz somewhere too... One of the pitchers anyway.

So yeah, again it was what I thought clearly in-jest and I apologize for offending you or the rest of the crew in here. And I offered a ball originally which I'm pretty sure I have still. Haven't been home in 6 months but I'll be there next week, I can dig through the closet and see if my mom hasn't tossed my stuff. If not, no big deal.

when someone's ban expires usually they don't jump back into the same conversation that got them banned in the first place but what do I know

The conversation wasn't what got me banned, insulting the dude was. I came back in with an apology and to continue the conversation, not to add anymore insults. If discussing autographs is forbidden on GAF then... umm. I guess ban me again.

MLB Network will start televising Spring Training games, beginning today!

2g0v2AE.png

Jays meltdowns will start earlier than normal this year.

Still, besides people who are trying to sell autographs, what does an adult do with an autographed ball.

I have a number of display cases where I have baseballs and hockey pucks that are signed or not signed, that are meaningful to me in some way.

Some have pictures attached, some don't. But they're all meaningful in some way, to me.

I'm a big A's guy. If someone told me Rickey Henderson was showing up to some place a mile away? I'd go down there just to say hello to the guy. And if waiting in line to get a ball signed means I could hear Rickey maybe refer to himself in the 3rd person? Hell yeah, I'd be all over that. If nothing else, I'd have a reminder of that time I got to meet the best leadoff hitter that ever played the game.

But who knows... if someone's dad had a favorite player, and they were able to get a ball signed by that player? Or if someone was at Yankee Stadium for the first time, and they were able to get a ball signed by a Yankee? I mean, there are lots of legitimate reasons someone would like to have a ball signed, especially by someone like Chipper.

Sure, there are a huge number of clowns that just want to get the balls and sell them. Buying a signed ball doesn't make any sense to me either. But having a ball signed to remind someone of an experience they had? I don't see how that's even a hard thing to wrap a mind around.

vern

I have a number of display cases where I have baseballs and hockey pucks that are signed or not signed, that are meaningful to me in some way.

Some have pictures attached, some don't. But they're all meaningful in some way, to me.

I'm a big A's guy. If someone told me Rickey Henderson was showing up to some place a mile away? I'd go down there just to say hello to the guy. And if waiting in line to get a ball signed means I could hear Rickey maybe refer to himself in the 3rd person? Hell yeah, I'd be all over that. If nothing else, I'd have a reminder of that time I got to meet the best leadoff hitter that ever played the game.

But who knows... if someone's dad had a favorite player, and they were able to get a ball signed by that player? Or if someone was at Yankee Stadium for the first time, and they were able to get a ball signed by a Yankee? I mean, there are lots of legitimate reasons someone would like to have a ball signed, especially by someone like Chipper.

Sure, there are a huge number of clowns that just want to get the balls and sell them. Buying a signed ball doesn't make any sense to me either. But having a ball signed to remind someone of an experience they had? I don't see how that's even a hard thing to wrap a mind around.

I totally get the "remind someone of an experience" aspect, kind of. Like if they caught a ball hit by a certain player and then want it signed. Or if they had an important ball like a record-breaking home-run or something. A generic ball carried down to local sports store I don't particularly understand. It's not that I can't wrap my head around it, I'm asking more about what does a person do with a signed ball. You personally have display cases and I guess some kind of trophy room. That's totally cool if that's what makes you happy. I would imagine in the case of most people that get signed balls and that sort of thing that they don't have a collection with a bunch of stuff... I could be way off base since I am not a collector at all and don't personally have any desire to get anything signed by anyone, so I'm just making assumptions with limited knowledge.

Again, I asked in a rude way originally and I apologized, but in general the question I think is a valid one. What do the majority of people do with things they get signed? You always see people hanging over the railings with their hats and balls and sharpies... but then what? I think for me meeting someone I always admired or loved to watch play is a lot more exciting and meaningful than a signature, but I can't speak for everyone. So this is why I asked.

Anyway, whatever floats people's boats. Ultimately it doesn't really make a difference. Just curiosity (and a bit of snark originally that got me the axe).

Back to the original point of my post way back then... even year magic woooooo baseball! I think that Reds Pitcher that's on the Giants now will get the Pitcher MVP this year. Cy something it's called? :p

Beckx

Instead of defending why we like things, can't we just talk about how good yesterday's Ace of the Diamond was? Where's SuperMalo, he had to dig that.

In other news Jameson Tallion actually threw real pitches in a game from a real mound yesterday. And Searage has Glasnow throwing a changeup with a "get rocked until you learn it, kid" plan.

Malo

Banned
Instead of defending why we like things, can't we just talk about how good yesterday's Ace of the Diamond was? Where's SuperMalo, he had to dig that.

In other news Jameson Tallion actually threw real pitches in a game from a real mound yesterday. And Searage has Glasnow throwing a changeup with a "get rocked until you learn it, kid" plan.
Tears of joy when Sawamura struck out Raichi and Sanada back to back.

Parch

Sportsnet usually shows the first Jays spring training game as well as a lot more.
I haven't checked their schedule because this year I finally took the plunge and cut the cable. I've survived with less hockey but baseball is going to be a real test of faith. The number of Blue Jay games on TV I've missed since their first season is probably only a couple of dozen. The addiction withdrawal could be very painful as I test the streaming options.

I don't like the white sox projected rotation
Sale
Quintana
Rodan
Latos
Danks

I guess Iam hoping john danks gets injured in spring training as that seems to be the only way they will bump that below replacement level pitcher for one of the two kids (johnson (main one), fulmer (longer shot, makes more sense to add him to the rotation around the half point of the season) that not only deserve a shot as the 5th starter but will likely do a much better job than him. But alas big contract = must be in rotation even though he would fit so much better as long relief :/

plus the balance would look better with one of the kids as they are both right handed and the white sox rotation currently has 4 left handers >.<;

I should note, aside from danks I actually like the rest of the rotation, it has a chance of being really solid this year.

Mets projected rotation sucks man

Harvey
DeGrom
Syndergaard
Matz
Colon

CQ being generous to Jays-GAF as always.

Jays fans meltdowns began once AA decided to abandon the city to the nefarious Marq Shapyro and his minion.

Kingbrave

Ah the sound of baseball in the background as I do other random stuff such as sit and listen to baseball in the back ground.

I've missed you baseball.

Unless there's major renovations in Dunedin then yeah

as of now there's been little indication these renovations are possible

Well y'all gotta get down there as soon as possible because it's a gem. It's spring training like it used to be. The new stadiums are little better than going to a major league park.

Beckx

LOL. MLB.com won't let me listen to the audio of today's game because I haven't signed up for this season's package yet, but they're happy to show me video ads while I have the gameday page up.

video ads popping up when you're not watching video streams, what a world

crpav

Stopped home quick for lunch after picking up son from pre school and taking to my parents for them to watch him since daycare is closed with her kids being sick. Turned on MLB network and spring training game on. All is good in life again.

Top Bottom