• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Because the teams that have players do these things probably don't understand positional value.

I mean this is the Rangers, they definitely are not one of the smarter organizations.

It is usually pretty easy to find streams on UStream. Some of the teams even have official streams for Spring Training.

The A's catchers are both making the ML minimum.
Yeah, I'm going to have to hunt down on Ustream, but I don't think Ustream is iPad compatible so I'll have to use my surface. My Surface is reserved for....unspeakable acts.

Is The Pacific League stream purchasable through the USA? I understand Japanese so that won't be an issue.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Showing off his latest ride:

E17exnz.jpg

Man if MLB got rid of those stupid "FL" patches, these Jays lids would be really sweet.

Oh god #59, you've been working your whole life for this chance and you totally clank it. Two hands, block the sun you dolt.

Billy Witz ‏@billywitz 3m3 minutes ago

BREAKING: Aroldis Chapman suspended 30 games by MLB under domestic violence policy, source. No appeal. Story posting momentarily @nytsports

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mlb doing the Yankees a solid (they get another year of control now, right? )

No just the opposite. He needed to get suspended about 40 games. He got the maximum suspension possible while not delaying his FA clock.

It's a way longer suspension I would have figured given the publicly known information. Maybe MLB knows more but it was also in Chapman's interest to not get suspended for more than what he got.

Malo

Banned
30 games is more than I expected. I thought he'd get around 15 due to no charges being filled.

Reyes is fucked.

3N16MA

Banned
The 30 game suspension is a pile of horse shit. Manfred and his buddies are punishing the Yankees not Chapman. They got pissed that the Yanks traded for him before they could finish their little investigation.

They slap Chapman with a 30 game to make sure it impacts the Yanks but does not delay his FA which would be a benefit.

30 games without being arrested or charged.

3N16MA

Banned
Okay. I'll bite.

Punish the Yankees for what, exactly?

Trading for him before they finished their investigation.

Supposedly they knocked 10-15 games off the suspension (according to Sherman) if Chapman agreed to not appeal. Of course Chapman would take that because it guarantees his free agency won't be delayed. I doubt MLB would have given him 40-45 if he said he would fight it. They're not going to do anything to benefit the Yankees in this situation. Probably throw 35 games at him.

Friggz

I hope there are a bunch of rainouts that somehow push this out to 45 days.

Either way. They can offer him a QO and either get a pick or resign him.

Supposedly they knocked 10-15 games off the suspension (according to Sherman) if Chapman agreed to not appeal. Of course Chapman would take that because it guarantees his free agency won't be delayed. I doubt MLB would have given him 40-45 if he said he would fight it. They're not going to do anything to benefit the Yankees in this situation. Probably throw 35 games at him.

The Yankees knew this was on the table when they traded for him. Everyone did. Why the fuck should the league do anything to benefit them or any other team in this situation? Nobody is out to get them. The deal with reducing the suspension if they don't appeal isn't exactly new.

Nearly 20% of the season. Seems more like MLB trying to make a statement and punish the Yanks. Used this situation as an example.
They would've slapped this on anybody. C'mon now. This is one of the reasons the Dodgers didn't go through with it along with the public scrutiny towards the organization. Yankees took a risk knowing this was coming.

JoseDFrog

Banned
30 games is fine and sends a message. Fucking using roids is somehow worse than domestic violence?

I fully endorse using roids. I felt good about the trade when I saw there were no charges against him, but this suspension will make it difficult to root for him.

I think 3N16MA's issue is that the punishment is not severe enough if they did find evidence of domestic violence and that by not issuing him a more "just" punishment, it also hurts the Yankees.

I fully endorse using roids. I felt good about the trade when I saw there were no charges against him, but this suspension will make it difficult to root for him.

I think 3N16MA's issue is that the punishment is not severe enough if they did find evidence of domestic violence and that by not issuing him a more "just" punishment, it also hurts the Yankees.

The league not going out of their way to help the Yankees for no good reason does not mean they are out to get the Yankees.

Sounds like a fairly simple and straightforward negotiation. I don't know how that punishes the Yankees. Not sure how the Yankees are a focus either way to be honest.

How does MLB going after a longer suspension benefit the Yankees?

Ehhhhh... well if the player doesn't want rancid details of one may have been a nasty incident, criminal or not, out in the public, negotiating a suspension that would not be appealed makes a lot of sense.

Still, don't see what the Yankees have to do with it. If the player wanted to appeal, he would appeal. I can't see what the club has to do with it.

If he's suspended for 46 days or more the Yankees would then receive an extra year of control.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the additional detail. Didn't know that. Interesting.

Malo

Banned
Sounds like a fairly simple and straightforward negotiation. I don't know how that punishes the Yankees. Not sure how the Yankees are a focus either way to be honest.

How does MLB going after a longer suspension benefit the Yankees?
If he's suspended for 46 days or more the Yankees would then receive an extra year of control.

Being mad that MLB didn't take this into consideration when dishing out their punishment is beyond stupid and asinine though. The Yankees knew exactly what the risks were when trading for Chapman. They don't deserve some kind of pity solid.

Friggz

it works out to about 10-12 games lost. Ultimately, not a huge deal. If anything it means they can use him more down the stretch.

3N16MA

Banned
The Yankees knew this was on the table when they traded for him. Everyone did. Why the fuck should the league do anything to benefit them or any other team in this situation? Nobody is out to get them. The deal with reducing the suspension if they don't appeal isn't exactly new.

The league won't do anything to benefit them so the whole "you will get 45 games if you plan on appealing" sounds like BS. I doubt the league gives him 40-45 games if Chapman said "I'm appealing no matter what you give me." MLB is going to make sure they hit him with a suspension under 40 games no matter the situation.

It's a fuck you to Chapman and a fuck you to the Yankees.

I stand by my point.

Manfred is out to get the Yankees.

But this makes no sense on so many levels.

Manfred grew up a Yankees fan. The Yankees were the biggest supporter of getting Manfred the commissioner gig. Manfred represented MLB (and, most importantly the Yankees) for 15 years of labor negotiations.

I mean, you can disagree with the decision, but Manfred is the closest thing to a Yankee we'll ever see in that office.

That post was more poking fun at myself than actually being serious.

This day's been too much. The Xbox stuff, No Man's Sky at $60, Sirbat talking about brisket, first day of spring training games... MY BRAIN HURTS

3N16MA

Banned
But this makes no sense on so many levels.

Manfred grew up a Yankees fan. The Yankees were the biggest supporter of getting Manfred the commissioner gig. Manfred represented MLB (and, most importantly the Yankees) for 15 years of labor negotiations.

I mean, you can disagree with the decision, but Manfred is the closest thing to a Yankee we'll ever see in that office.

That post was more poking fun at myself than actually being serious.

The league won't do anything to benefit them so the whole "you will get 45 games if you plan on appealing" sounds like BS. I doubt the league gives him 40-45 games if Chapman said "I'm appealing no matter what you give me." MLB is going to make sure they hit him with a suspension under 40 games no matter the situation.

It's a fuck you to Chapman and a fuck you to the Yankees.

They used an arbitrary bullshit ruling to get a year of ARod off the Yankees books.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
SportsCenter @SportsCenter

Rays will play Cuban National Team in exhibition game on March 22 in Havana. It will be 1st visit to Cuba by MLB franchise since 1999.

Malo

Banned
I'm not mad about not getting the extra year of control, we'll get a compensation pick when Chapman leaves which is good enough for me.

Hopefully the bp outside of Betances and Miller are able to do a decent a job until Chapman comes back from the suspension.
The time has come. MLB The Show 16 now uses the WAR stat.
We made it brehs. The nerds have won!

Top Bottom