• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
lol, I know what he meant - I just love that smiley.

HgSWcvz.gif

QUOA76W.jpg

Ban him!

ampere

I sometimes have this chipotle/mayo sauce on my burger at a local place, and I'll dip my fries in it if there's extra. Straight mayo? Don't usually do it, but not opposed to it. Think I had ketchup and mayo served on my fries when I went to Belgium

Garlic Cilantro from Pollo Tropical is the greatest sauce ever. I wish they sold something like it in stores. Now, I would never put it on a hotdog but it's great for dipping fries and stuff.

Beckx

Yeah, it runs in Young Jump. It's not scanned, but you understand Japanese too right?

I know the official list kanji but only have readings for like half of them, so I can muddle through at a snail's pace at best. Getting better though. Goal of being able to read something like Murakami in three years, probably won't make it but we'll see haha.

Right now it leads me to do things like buy baseball preview magazines and understand like 10% of the content, which brings us to.....

BECK. MUH BOY. SENBATSU!

MY BODY IS READY

Ccog1czXIAAUA_D.jpg

Tsuruga Kehi is my team, new ace Yamazaki was solid at Meiji Jingu but lost a heartbreaker, and the outfield can mash. The stats on Osaka Toin are ridiculous again too, though. Akashi Sho I guess is the hot team to watch this year though they aren't as talented as either of those.

I'll probably put up a thread again on the day the games start.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://consumerist.com/2016/03/09/yes-network-tells-yankee-fans-to-drop-comcast/

A spat between the nation’s largest cable company and Major League Baseball’s most storied franchise is getting ugly, with the New York Yankees’ YES Network launching a campaign urging fans to “Drop Comcast.”

The cable giant dropped the YES Network — a partnership between the team’s owners and 21st Century Fox — at the end of the 2015 baseball season, citing low ratings and high fees.

While most of the New York City metro area is served by either Time Warner Cable or Cablevision, Comcast covers sizable chunks of New Jersey, meaning potentially hundreds of thousands of Yankee fans will not be able to watch YES when the new season begins in early April.

After months of pushing the message of “Keep YES Network,” the channel has decided to come at it from a different angle. In an attempt to leverage angry fans, YES has begun an ad campaign urging them to “Drop Comcast Today And Find Another TV Provider.”

C2tjecC.jpg

zroid

Banned
Apparently the Jays' top pitching prospect is a close personal friend of Charlie Sheen

I don't know how to feel about this

Parch

Was the situation with the Dodgers TV deal settled? Now a chunk of the Yankee's market won't get games on TV?
The cable industry is screwing everything up.

Was the situation with the Dodgers TV deal settled? Now a chunk of the Yankee's market won't get games on TV?
The cable industry is screwing everything up.

Thank god we get Jays across Canada, and with no blackouts on MLB.TV!*

*until MLB gets smart and enforces it anyway

RBH

mlbf_548700183_th_45.jpg

mlbf_549221183_th_45.jpg

The Atlanta Braves and Miami Marlins will play on the U.S. military base at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, on July 3rd in a 12,500-capacity ballpark to be built with funding by Major League Baseball and the players' association.

The Braves will be the home team on the new ballfield, which will be converted to a permanent softball facility for those who serve at Fort Bragg as a gift from MLB and the MLBPA through the joint Industry Growth Fund.

The game will be televised by ESPN as part of its Sunday night baseball schedule.

Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement Tuesday that it will be "a unique event that will benefit the men and women of Fort Bragg and their families for many years."
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ins-play-july-3-game-fort-bragg-military-base

Nope. Not at all.

Seriously trying to figure out how to watch some games with Vin.

I don't want to go with an IP spoofer. I'd rather just pay more to be able to watch, but I'm not being given a legal option to do so. I mean, I guess I could just subscribe to TWC without getting the cable installed, but that seems crazy.

This whole thing makes no sense.

why are the dodger spring training games never on tv? having to watch the angel channel right now

kazmir has looked pretty rough so far this spring :/

RBH

At SunTrust Park, batters won’t have to hit the ball as far to right-center field for a home run as they do at Turner Field. But they will have to hit it higher.

The dimensions and wall heights of the Braves’ new stadium, slated to open next year, reflect an outfield designed to have more distinctive characteristics than in the team’s current home.

A key difference will be the outfield wall, which is a consistent eight feet, four inches high all the way around at Turner Field but will be lower and higher at SunTrust Park.

According to an architectural rendering and confirmed this week by Braves officials, the plan is for the SunTrust Park wall to be only six feet high at the left-field foul pole; eight feet, eight inches high in left-center and center field; and 16 feet high in right field, including at the right-field foul pole.

The right-field wall — almost twice as high as at Turner Field — will be balanced by a shorter distance from home plate. At Turner Field, the right-center power-alley fence is 390 feet from the plate. At SunTrust Park, it will be 375 feet away.

Other planned outfield dimensions at the new Cobb County stadium include 335 feet down the left-field line (same as Turner Field), 385 feet to left-center field (compared with 380 feet at Turner), 400 feet to straight-away center field (same as at Turner) and 325 feet down the right-field line (compared to 330 feet at Turner).

At its deepest points, immediately to the left and right of straight-away center field, the SunTrust Park wall will be 402 feet from the plate.

Braves general manager John Coppolella, asked on a recent Twitter chat with fans how he expects the new ballpark to play, answered: “We have studied wind patterns, and we think it will be similar to Turner Field, but slightly better for hitters.”

The angles and varying heights of the SunTrust Park wall were designed to give the outfield “character and personality and uniqueness,” said Derek Schiller, Braves executive vice president of sales and marketing.

“It’s something that quite frankly we lacked at Turner Field,” he said.

Schiller said the Braves were guided by the study of wind in the area, including data collected at nearby Dobbins Air Reserve Base.

“It helped us determine where to place those walls,” he said.
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/baseball/outfield-dimensions-wall-heights-different-at-new-/nqgxs/

comcast_rendering.jpg

outfield-dimensions_1.jpg

I know the official list kanji but only have readings for like half of them, so I can muddle through at a snail's pace at best. Getting better though. Goal of being able to read something like Murakami in three years, probably won't make it but we'll see haha.

Right now it leads me to do things like buy baseball preview magazines and understand like 10% of the content, which brings us to.....

MY BODY IS READY

Ccog1czXIAAUA_D.jpg

Tsuruga Kehi is my team, new ace Yamazaki was solid at Meiji Jingu but lost a heartbreaker, and the outfield can mash. The stats on Osaka Toin are ridiculous again too, though. Akashi Sho I guess is the hot team to watch this year though they aren't as talented as either of those.

I'll probably put up a thread again on the day the games start.
Yeah check it out when you get a better feel for it, I think Bungo will be around for a while. What do you use to study kanji?

Anyone else try to avoid Spring Training? I feel like it dampens the Opening Day feeling for me...

Beckx

Yeah check it out when you get a better feel for it, I think Bungo will be around for a while. What do you use to study kanji?

I did Heisig's book + Anki for memorizing meaning/writing. Took about 10 months to complete.

For readings I am learning through vocabulary. Heisig II doesn't really work for me to learn readings other than the initial section on Pure Groups (which is super useful to know that certain primitives will always have a certain on reading - the reading for a character that includes 工 as a major element (like 江) will always have an on reading of コウ). I have Anki decks for various JLPT vocabulary levels and they're a great way to simultaneously build vocab and add readings.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Arroyo has looked good so far this spring for SF. Dunno where he'll end up if they want to call him up down the road as the infield's already set. Maybe they try him out at LF in the minors?

Beckx

finally Cole will make a spring start on Sunday.

outside of Liriano the Bucs pitching so far has been enough to make me start drinking again.

Top Bottom