• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

zulux21

My respect for LaRoche just went up. He had 12millions guaranteed and could have taken a lenghty and cozy DL-Trip.
Shame he didn't do it earlier when Alvarez was still a FA. Maybe the Sox would have gotten Gordon or Cespedes even...

sox were never getting gordon as he wanted to stay with the royals and turned down extra money to do so.

they likely wouldn't have gone any higher on cespedes who also decided to just stick with what he knew instead of taking more money.
and thankfully they didn't get alvarez as the white sox don't need to pay millions for another replacement level player who might be able to regain his form and have a good season.

Justin Morneau would likely be cheaper than the 5.75mil alvarez got and is also more likely to have 1+ WAR season than alvarez.

either way I say save the extra money for the trade deadline and give garcia the DH spot if he continues to hit anywhere near this
litKoWk.png

I mean offensively garcia is set to bring as much if not more WAR than alvarez and morneau. He is young, and has shown he could be a good hitter. if he can make the DH thing work we could maybe get a solid bat without his messed up fielding (most likely due to his injury which was inevitable given his horrid diving at stuff)

senbatsu thread goes up saturday afternoon (first game is that evening east coast time).

title suggestions? i thought about March Madness but that would just derail the thread before it even began. probably will just go with "Senbatsu 2016 | Japan National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament (Spring Koshien)" or something. "Fuck Osaka Toin" is also an option.

"No goddammit Raichi isn't in this one"

A bit late to this but this makes me sad. LaRoche was AWESOME. He played for the Red Sox in the year afterwards a personal favorite of mine, Sean Casey. Both are very similar in that they were both slow and funny looking 1Bman that most people don't even remember playing for the Red Sox. Both were awesome.

Fun fact: Sean Casey had the exact same career OPS as Roberto Alomar, a cool .814. The Mayor flat out should be in the Hall of Fame :)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Didn't LaRoche only play for the Red Sox for like a week before they traded him to the Braves?
yep.

July 22, 2009: Traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates to the Boston Red Sox for Argenis Diaz and Hunter Strickland.

July 31, 2009: Traded by the Boston Red Sox to the Atlanta Braves for Casey Kotchman.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i wonder if he can have a wRC+ of 100 at his age. wouldn't be surprised if he could.
why does mlbtv even offer park audio as an option if it doesn't work?
has worked for me when i have tried it. might not just work for spring training games. try a game from 2015.

Beckx

Jared Hughes has been absolutely awful this spring. 2 2/3 innings, 3 HR. that's as many HR as he gave up the entire 2015 season.

Nicasio was great today and Cutch absolutely destroyed another baseball, would be nice if he started the year hot.

has worked for me when i have tried it. might not just work for spring training games. try a game from 2015.

2015 won't help me, I want to stop hearing the masn announcers today!

wonder if it's a chrome issue.

jbug617

Banned
Possible breaking point for LaRoche via Rosenthal

Sources: LaRoche chose to retire after #WhiteSox prez Ken Williams told him that he no longer could bring 14-year-old son into clubhouse.
LaRoche’s son, Drake, 14, has traveled with him for several years. Adam, in a Chicago Tribune story last year, called him team’s “26th man.”
LaRoche’s friend, #Brewers pitcher Blaine Boyer: “He’s an unbelievable father, an unbelievable husband, a friend you can only dream of.”
Boyer added: “I honestly think this is between good and evil. I know which side Adam lives on. I’m thankful to see the way he’s acting…
“…it’s an unbelievable test of who he is, the husband he is, the father he is.”

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bonds still being able to crush is the least surprising thing ever.

Dude put up a .276/.480/565 line in 477 PA in his last season in MLB. At age 42. Him getting blackballed out of baseball was still one of the dumbest things ever.

On one hand it's pretty funny that they'd rather have the guy retire than let his son keep on coming to the clubhouse. On the other hand I'd fucking hate it if a coworker brought their kid to work every day.

Puig will not be suspended.

Major League Baseball will not suspend Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig in connection to domestic violence allegations earlier this winter, reports Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. Per Shaikin, the league found no evidence to substantiate allegations that Puig hit his sister in an incident at a Miami bar in November. Notably, no charges were filed against Puig and no arrests were made at the time. Shaikin notes that under the newly implemented domestic violence policy, players can receive discipline other than suspensions (e.g. mandatory counseling), but such discipline is not disclosed to the public. Earlier this month, ESPN’s Pedro Gomez reported that Puig was not expected to receive a suspension. Major League Baseball has since issued the following statement:

“The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball has concluded its investigation into an alleged incident involving Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig and his sister in a Miami-area nightclub on November 26, 2015. The investigation included interviews of witnesses, including Puig and his sister, as well as a review of video footage from inside the nightclub at the time of the alleged incident. The Office of the Commissioner’s investigation did not uncover any witness who supported the assault allegation; both Puig and his sister denied that an assault occurred; and the available video evidence did not support the allegation. Thus, barring the receipt of any new information or evidence, no discipline will be imposed on Puig in connection with the alleged incident.”

On one hand it's pretty funny that they'd rather have the guy retire than let his son keep on coming to the clubhouse. On the other hand I'd fucking hate it if a coworker brought their kid to work every day.

kind of agree.. I'm sure he's a sweet kid and all but gtfo

and go to school

always wondered about those bat boys though.. do they get tutored or what

Top Bottom